My Two Skunks! (Video)

My Two Skunks! (Video)

This is a discussion on My Two Skunks! (Video) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; These are two of three skunks that live under my back porch. The skunk that you see who is mostly white is very rare as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Two Skunks! (Video)

Thumbs up My Two Skunks! (Video)

These are two of three skunks that live under my back porch. The skunk that you see who is mostly white is very rare as I understand it. I feed them every night two bowls of cat food.
    Surprisingly, you can get up really close to them and they wont spray you, as long as you don't startle them.
    This was the first time I have seen the skunks out in daytime. You can see one of my cats looking out the back door in total shock lol.

Click below for the video;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI8YYWikHJ8

Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

VIP Member

I can't stand the smell of a skunk whether they're "actively spraying" or not. I have no idea how you can tolerate that. But I suppose they're a great burglary deterrent. And I imagine they deter other visitors, too - like mailmen and unwanted relatives.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post

I can't stand the smell of a skunk whether they're "actively spraying" or not. I have no idea how you can tolerate that. But I suppose they're a great burglary deterrent. And I imagine they deter other visitors, too - like mailmen and unwanted relatives.
    Actually, these three skunks haven't sprayed yet around my house.
    Once they do (if they ever do?) then I'll have to do something about them.
    But until then, I have been enjoying they're company. I think they have gotten really used to me being around.

These skunks showed up around my house this spring and they were very young. So maybe thats why they have gotten used to me so easily.
    Last edited by Sig229; August 13th, 2007 at 01:20 PM.

just like playing with fire...eventually we all get burned...good luck friend. Shall we start a donation fund for cans of tomato juice for you?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    just like playing with fire...eventually we all get burned...good luck friend. Shall we start a donation fund for cans of tomato juice for you?

LOL Sure. Save me some money.

You are a different sort of fellow Sig229.
    I wish you well.

Skunks are nocturnal and it is not normal for skunks to be out in the daytime unless there is something seriously wrong with them. They may have rabbies. You need to stay away from them.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    Skunks are nocturnal and it is not normal for skunks to be out in the daytime unless there is something seriously wrong with them. They may have rabbies. You need to stay away from them.
    +1

Link

Cottonwood, Texas

From the Fort Bend Herald of August 6, 2007

Rabid skunk illustrates need for caution against disease

Jolie Zulkowski said the first indication something was amiss was when her son's dog started barking outside.

She went out and found a skunk.
    "It wandered up underneath our truck on Sunday morning," said Zulkowski, who lives in the Cottonwood area.

Her daughter's boyfriend killed the skunk with a shotgun, and the family preserved the carcass and took it to Fort Bend Animal Control on Monday. The animal tested positive for rabies, the family learned Tuesday.

This is the first time she has seen a skunk on her property.

"If you know anything about the country, a skunk in the daytime is normally not a good sign," she said.

Skunks are nocturnal animals, and daytime activity usually means they're rabid, she said.

Her son's dog, the same dog that barked at the skunk, is now in quarantine, where it must remain for 45 days. All of the animals on her property were given booster shots as a precaution.
    There’s an old and true, military motto, “Si vis pacem, para bellum” - “If you want peace, prepare for war.”

You know, I have been told I am weird for this but, I like the smell of skunk.
    Ihave never been sprayed so I'm not sure I would like that but I do like they way skunk spray smells when I smell it.

That is pretty cool that they live under your porch. They seem pretty tame for wild skunks. The white one is beautiful. But, I think you cat thinks you are nuts...
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Glad its you not me. The rabies issue is very real - the incidence of rabies in skunks is very high.

you've got bigger balls than i my friend
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    You know, I have been told I am weird for this but, I like the smell of skunk.
    you might like to try Grolsch beer...smells just like a skunk.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

If it were my house, they'd be dead.

Austin

Senior Moderator
    Skunks are actually pretty laid back.

a story...

A friend of mine as I was growing up had one, that thing would purr like a kitten if you scratched it right. He also had a cat and the two did not get along.

We quickly learned that if the skunk puffs his tail up, thats the first warning sign that he is ticked off...its a signal to other animals that all is not well.

If he puffs his tail and arches his back like a cat does, you'd best be leaving the country.

When he does a 180 degree turn on you and presents his tail end first...

its to late...you have severally erred.

Watch them closely. I doubt that they have rabies, I think that the close proximaty of food has changed their habits somewhat. If they ever look sick or act sick...beware.

Last summer I came home from work and there was one laying in my yard...in broad daylight. I could tell it was very sick as it layed in the fetal position and totally ignored me...so I blasted it....and picked it up with a shovel and chunked it in the trash can to keep the dog of it. Never thought much about it until a week later my neighbor rode up on his horse and told me that he had killed three,sent two of them off and they were rabid. When I described what has happened, he figured the one I disposed of was probably rabid.

He had to put down his black lab because of it. The dog started losing weight and just laying around like it was sick. He took it to the vet thinking that he ate something bad and was told it was rabid and it was too late to catch...so they put the dog to sleep. He was not happy about that, but he raises horses and couldnt take any chances.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My Mom lives in OK. She found 5 tiny baby skunks and ,with gloves, caught them. She went and talked to the local Vet. He informed her that EVERY skunk (100%) tested in OK within the last several years tested pos for rabies. Any time they find one D.O.R...dead on road....they test it. Another thing about skunks is that may carry it and not be effected by it. She went home and turned them loose.

My Uncle has upwards of 30 coons that he feeds everynight on his porch. What can I say???? My family Loves Nature.

I am not saying run them off, but Please BE CAREFULL...
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links