Took the day off...rode 42 miles on the bike

This is a discussion on Took the day off...rode 42 miles on the bike within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am beat. I took the day off today because my wif eand I had planned a day to ourselves since it is the first ...

Thread: Took the day off...rode 42 miles on the bike

Took the day off...rode 42 miles on the bike

I am beat. I took the day off today because my wif eand I had planned a day to ourselves since it is the first day of school we were just going to hang out at home and maybe go to lunch. just a lazy day to spend together.

Well, she had to go to work because they are short handed so that just left me on my own. And when i am by myself, i usually jump on my bicycle and ride. Today was no different and I logged 42 miles.

I learned a few things today. Among them:

1. Heat advisories are issued for a reason. It was very hot out there. I took lots of water and wore sunscreen and I came through fine.

2. There are a lot lf morons driving cars in Shelby County Tennessee. And most of them do not look out for bikers.

3. Sweat weighs a lot. I weighed 164 pounds when I rode out of the drive way, and when I got out of the shower after the ride, I weighed 157 pounds. That was all water weight. And that was with drinking almost a gallon of water during the ride.

4. This is a beautiful country. I already knew this but rides like this just re-enforce it in my mind.

5. I would not even think of wearing any other gun but my Glock 23 while I ride my bike in the heat. It was covered with sweat and sweat salt when I got done. A quick cleaning and wipe down with a silicone rag and it's good as new. I can't think of another gun that I wouldn't worry about rusting up while taking this kind of abuse.

6. I still need to work on getting in even better shape. I think I should have been able to do that ride in a shorter amount of time. It took 3 hours. I would like to see that reduced to 2 and half or less. I'll keep working on it.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Mike arn't you having the same heat wave as we are in St. Louis? Our heat is not like AZ heat. Its humid!!!40 something miles, Mike you must be a machine. lol

Mike it was good to see you today. I am glad you stopped by and got a refill on your water. I still can not believe that you were out in this heat on a bike and 42 miles....wow! Stay inside the rest of the day and drink lots of water.

Stay safe!
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Ben we are indeed having the same heat wave you guys are having. And yes, the heat here is surely not like Arizona heat but, what you may not know is this: it is also not like South Alabama heat. And when I say South Alabama heat, I mean less than 5 miles from the coast South Alabama heat. That is where we moved from less than 2 years ago to the dry air of Shelby County Tennessee!
    Believe me, compared to the summers I am still used to, the heat here is not at all humid. Not even a little.

And I'm not a machine, I'm just real scared of getting fat again.
    You'd be surprised how good of a motivator the fear of turning back into the almost 300 pound tub of goo you used to be can really be.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    Mike it was good to see you today. I am glad you stopped by and got a refill on your water. I still can not believe that you were out in this heat on a bike and 42 miles....wow! Stay inside the rest of the day and drink lots of water.

Stay safe!
    Thanks for the water Citizen! That was a life saver. I wasn't sure where I was going to fill up after stopping in to see you but I was going to need some more ice water for sure. You filling up my water bottle really hit the spot! Thanks again!

I started out at my house, rode down Old Airline Road to Sumac road, over to Chabers Chapel road, to Memphis-Arlington road, to Douglass to Chester St. and into Arlington and all around Arlington, stopped to see you, then up Forrest St onto Griffin back to Chester, back to Douglass and Memphis Arlington and back the way I came.

It was a great ride and I feel pretty good. Much less wiped out than I would have guessed.
    My goal is to work up to a 70 mile ride and than next year to do the St, Jude ride across North Mississippi. It is a 140 mile ride done over a weekend. 70 miles a day for 2 days.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I weighed 164 pounds when I rode out of the drive way, and when I got out of the shower after the ride, I weighed 157 pounds.
    I'm guessing you don't shower with your clothes on or ride naked... My clothes usually weigh 5-7 lbs.

...but yeah, that makes me think you should take care to replenish your electrolytes from sweating that much and presumably drinking large quantities of plain water. You'll know if you've got the water sickness (hyponatremia) if you start vomiting.

You probably already knew that.

Mike, what kind of bike do you have?

It was a great ride and I feel pretty good. Much less wiped out than I would have guessed.
    My goal is to work up to a 70 mile ride and than next year to do the St, Jude ride across North Mississippi. It is a 140 mile ride done over a weekend. 70 miles a day for 2 days.
    I worked that race on the 10m and 2m ham bands 2 years in a row about 10 years ago. I stayed at the house and ran traffic for Pat (the engineer for WKNO that you met at the meeting last month) and a couple of other hams that were on the race route working /p. It seems like it was 75 miles out and 75 back at that time. I know it took the better part of the day and raised donations for either St. Jude or LeBonheur (not sure which hospital). It was fun and Pat is always a hoot to QSO.

On a sadder note, there were 3 heat related deaths in Memphis today. And Mike was out in it doing 42 miles on a bike.

Stay safe.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

VIP Member
    I rode a mile and a half out into the woods to go shooting and that's all the farther I'm going to ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    I worked that race on the 10m and 2m ham bands 2 years in a row about 10 years ago. I stayed at the house and ran traffic for Pat (the engineer for WKNO that you met at the meeting last month) and a couple of other hams that were on the race route working /p. It seems like it was 75 miles out and 75 back at that time. I know it took the better part of the day and raised donations for either St. Jude or LeBonheur (not sure which hospital). It was fun and Pat is always a hoot to QSO.

On a sadder note, there were 3 heat related deaths in Memphis today. And Mike was out in it doing 42 miles on a bike.

Stay safe.
    Mike is TOUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I'm guessing you don't shower with your clothes on or ride naked... My clothes usually weigh 5-7 lbs.

...but yeah, that makes me think you should take care to replenish your electrolytes from sweating that much and presumably drinking large quantities of plain water. You'll know if you've got the water sickness (hyponatremia) if you start vomiting.

You probably already knew that.
    I weighed myself with nothing on before the ride and with nothing on after the shower so I get a good and accurate reading of my weight with nothing else (clothes or anything) to skew the true reading.

And yes, I do know about water sickness. I was really surprised, even with the heat, I did not feel bad at all during any part of the ride. It was really a good ride.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229
    Mike is TOUGH!
    I don't know about that but I am now sure that I am in at least pretty good shape. Much better than a little over a year ago anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510
    I had not heard that! 3 heat related deaths? Wow....maybe I am tough......naw, just too pig headed to be effected by the heat!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I weighed myself with nothing on before the ride and with nothing on after the shower so I get a good and accurate reading of my weight with nothing else (clothes or anything) to skew the true reading.
    Mental Image---eeewwwwwww!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I was out riding the dual-sport yesterday and drank a couple of liters of water in four hours. Hot indeed. If you don't ride a motorcycle, it is probably harder to understand why somebody would purposely go out to ride in this heat.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    Mike, if you want to find out if you are tough come on down to West Central Alabama. Actual temp today 105 with 65% humidity. Oh, and my AC went out yesterday. Fortunately the repair man came this afternoon. Ride a few miles in this stuff and they will have to rehydrate you.

Man, you have really done a great job losing the weight and getting into shape. Keep it up.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Other than my legs being just a touch sore this morning, I feel great!

I remember the humidity and heat of Alabama George. I will never be able to forget it.
    Thanks!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

You should be ashamed for making me feel so guilty! That Mike can ride 42 miles in this heat and you don't want to go to your 45 min class! ( my inner dialogue is killing me!)
    Great job, keep it up. You are an inspiration for all the rest of us hot, tired, and lazy people.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links