This is why you shouldn't publish CCW lists

This is a discussion on This is why you shouldn't publish CCW lists within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Now, the list of CCW holders was not published here that I know of, but it makes things easier for people like this. http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?..._story_type=18 Police ...

Thread: This is why you shouldn't publish CCW lists

Now, the list of CCW holders was not published here that I know of, but it makes things easier for people like this.

http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?..._story_type=18

Police say the two stole several guns from homes in the towns of Murray and Gaines. Among the weapons taken, a 40 caliber semiautomatic hand gun.

I just watched that on RNEWs before I read this. That would really make me mad.

I will say this....Has anyone ever googled their user name? It will show all of your posts and other information from message board websites. Over on another website a post came up about "show us your gun lockers" and people took offense not wanting to give up that kind of info or location. Just shows anyone can find out anything on the net.

I just tried the Google thing you mentioned and got a lot of old posts. some from places that I have not posted at for quite a while.

Yes, I am not sure if its all boards or how exactly it works or why, I just know things come up. Someone uses my screen name and there are posts that I found that I never wrote.

VIP Member
    I didn't see a reference to the thieves targeting permit holders. Does this area have a paper that regularly does this. Is there a link? Going to OT as a news feed until a link to permit holders is established.

Google and all the major search engines have "bots" that catalog Internet content constantly. Every post on public forums is cataloged. If we move or delete it before the bot gets it you will be ok, but if not it will live until the search engines need more space to store content.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

DC Founder
    This is really a "non-problem" as long as you don't use your real name or email address as a user name here or on any other forum and never post a real address where someone could connect your user name to a physical street address. I know what a lot of our members have in their gun safes, but would be hard pressed to ever physically locate any of you....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

No I didnt mean it like that. I was just saying it was a worry in another forum and like you said as long as your not spilling personal information it is no big deal. Just somthing that not everyone knows about what they post and thought id share. Thank you for explaining how it works though. Learn somthing new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I didn't see a reference to the thieves targeting permit holders. Does this area have a paper that regularly does this. Is there a link? Going to OT as a news feed until a link to permit holders is established.
    No, they were not targeting permit holders. I just posted as another example of the type of people who would likely "use" that information to steal guns.

OT is probably the place for the thread. I wasn't sure since it was gun related

Sponsored Links