Makes me want to cry - Page 2

Makes me want to cry

This is a discussion on Makes me want to cry within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That is all true. I am sure he is tore up, and tortured. Does that leave the law out of it? I feel for the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Makes me want to cry

That is all true. I am sure he is tore up, and tortured. Does that leave the law out of it?
    I feel for the person, but if the word officer was left out of the article everyones opinion would be different.

If a citizen killed a police dog, they would probably be charged with killing a police officer. So basically, this cop killed another cop and he should be kicked off the force and his life ruined in the same way a normal person's life would be if they accidentally killed a police dog. Boo Hoo for him! The law is the law, even if you are the law. Preferential treatment is BS.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

this is where people loose respect for the law. the above post is 100% on point. a citizen would be charged for killing a police officer.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'm certain that nobody feels worse than this officer.
    Yes, and likely if events transpired even slightly differently this for sure would not have happened.
    Walking into your home and finding out that your son was in a major car crash where the car was totaled and not knowing the exact medical condition of your kid coupled with the fact that the dog normally would not have been with him at that time.
    That would be enough to take your mind off of your normal routine.
    I would call that highly tragic but, truly extenuating circumstances.
    And knowing how much I love my own dog I'm sure this officer is really totally torn up and tortured over the entire affair.
    I feel sorry for the officer and his son, but just like guns, there are rules for dogs and cars. If you leave the car, take the dog with you! You get out of one door, and you let the dog out of the other. He should have taken the dog somewhere it wasn't over 100 degrees before he went inside the house! The dog died due to his negligence.

i agree ,,no excuses,,this officer should be repremanded in some way,,,

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    If you leave the car, take the dog with you! You get out of one door, and you let the dog out of the other.
    Not to hijack, and it wouldn't be relevant in this particular case since he was at home, but do most states' laws recognise a police dog on duty as a service animal similar to a seeing-eye dog? i.e. could the officer take the dog into a grocery store or restaurant (around here, most have a sign somewhere saying "no [animals|pets|dogs], except service animals") during a break?

police cars with K9's down here in Florida have an auto start that start the vehicle turns on the a/c and rolls the windows down when it gets too hot in the vehicle! of course there is a switch to enable that feature so it doesnt do it at the end of the night when off duty.
    SigP226, SigP232SS, GLock 27, Glock 23, M&P9C, M&P 40C, Tika T3 .308, New England Rifle .17 HMR. DPMS AR-10 .308, Mossberg 500, Bersa .380, Olympic Arms AR15 Pistol, Kimber CDP2 Ultra, Kimber CDP2 compact, S&W 432pd,CX4 storm .40

I have to agree with the above people. The circumstances are unfortunate, but the law is the law. Everyone has bad judgment days and make mistakes, but citizen pay for those mistakes and LEOs sometimes are above the laws. They should be held to the same standards as everyone else.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

i am in no way a police hater. i think there are some good people working for us.

i just think that if Michael V. is going to jail for animal cruelty, then the same laws should be in effect here, and like i have seen on cops tv and read about in papers. if you kill a police dog it is the same as killing an officer (if your a civilian). why should this be any different?

what do we do when people leave there children and animals in cars if they are not cops. Book them. regardless of there excuses.

so if i work a double shift and find out that my wife had a fender bender can i use that as a get out of jail free card?
    no, i can't. that is a part of life. working doubles, and dealing with tragedy.

Lead Moderator
    Negligent yes, but he did not leave the dog int he car on purpose. The officer should be treated the same as any other person who did the same . No more , no less.
    Mike V. was involved in dog fighting. Way worse than leaving a dog in a car.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Under normal circumstances I would be extremely upset with the handler, but I even understand, with what transpired how this happened. When you hear bad news about your child, the rest of the world can disappear in an instant.

It's not like he was a dumb butt that left the dog in the car while grocery shopping .

and so on....

negligence of the law is not an excuse.

sorry officer, i had a rough day. i found out that my wife left me, and i worked a double shift. can you forgive me?

responsibility is what it is. so the next time a person hears something bad about there family, and is racing home, and hits a bicyclist and kills them they can say.. come on... i just worked a double, and blah blah blah..

and that makes it okay?

I am angered by this story. I very loyal companion to the force and the surrounding society was killed by negligence.

I have to reiterate what PAExplorer stated. If any civilian for any reason harmed a human LEO or a LEO K-9 he would be brought up on charges and placed in jail for the crime. I understand the world coming to a halt when news of family being hurt. BUT EVERYONE ESPECIALLY POLICE should be held accountable for their actions at all times.

Lets say I am driving home and receive a call that someone is hurting my family. So I speed getting home and when I arrive in front of my house I jump out of the car and forget to place the car in park. (Which has probably happened to some of the people on here not in a crisis.) Then I run in the house to see if everyone is okay. Well, the car is still in drive and is now driving itself down the street. Now if this car happens to hit a civilian, LEO, LEO K-9, or any property, the driver would be brought up on charges and placed in jail. If the anyone was killed by this car then the car's driver would be charged with murder ( first degree, second degree, manslaughter or whatever charge the prosecutor decides).

Now a LEO, which has another LEO as his partner, is negligent and in the events of his day kills his partner. Why is this LEO not even suspended during the investigation?!?!?!?!? Why the double standard? If the LEO would have accidentally shot his K-9 and killed it, he would have been suspended.

I hated double standards. Especially for those whom are supposed to be the most law abiding of society. I am not saying I want the LEO locked away but I do believe he should be held accountable for his actions no matter what the circumstances might be.

Sorry for the long rant.
    Things happen, but the only thing that matters at the end of the day is what you do during and after in order to survive.

the article says that the officer "is very emotional" then he should be sitting behind a desk or on administrative leave. He has a history of not making sound decisions - leaving the dog in the car, unattended for 12 hours, I'm sorry for the loss of a good working dog, but he has NO business being armed, and policing on the street until he has had sufficient time to deal with the consequences of his actions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links