another ban in the United Kingdom.....

This is a discussion on another ban in the United Kingdom..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1 Just when you think the UK has sunk to it's lowest.........they go even deeper. ('but it's for the children') A British clown has had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Just when you think the UK has sunk to it's lowest.........they go even deeper. ('but it's for the children')

A British clown has had the smile wiped off his face after being told he couldn't use balloons in his act because children might be allergic to latex.

Barney Baloney said he was told by bosses at a supermarket where he was booked to appear that he should leave his balloons at home because of the potential for allergic reactions.

The 47-year-old entertainer, also known as Tony Turner, has previously had to ditch his bubble-making machine because he could not get public liability insurance as companies assessed that youngsters might slip and hurt themselves.

He said he was also told by one venue he could not twist balloons into the shape of guns for fear of encouraging youngsters to commit violence, although swords were deemed acceptable.

"At this rate I will have no act left. Things are going from crazy to ridiculous," Baloney, from Sheffield, northern England, was quoted as saying by the Yorkshire Post regional newspaper.

"This country is going crazy with its political correctness and health and safety issues and it's making us a laughing stock."

A spokesman for the Tesco supermarket in Leeds where he was due to appear refused to back down: "This is a health and safety issue.

"We have banned balloons because latex is used in the manufacture of them and this can trigger an allergic reaction in some children. We always have the welfare of children at heart."
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Don't clowns wear make-up? A lot of people are allergic to that... He could trip over those big shoes and fall on some poor child, too! And what about the children who are afraid of clowns? They could be traumatized!

Outlaw clowns!

I'll not comment about the shape of the balloons, but latex, like peanut butter, is one of those allergens that can send some people from having a great day to not breathing in about 2 minutes. I don't mean having trouble breathing. I mean not breathing at all.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Time to pull the UK out to deep water and have a sinkex!

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I'll not comment about the shape of the balloons, but latex, like peanut butter, is one of those allergens that can send some people from having a great day to not breathing in about 2 minutes. I don't mean having trouble breathing. I mean not breathing at all.
    Allergies have been around a long time. So have peanut butter and latex. People generally learn to avoid them without making others pay for their unfortunate condition.

Of course, that was before the ridiculous "PC" mentality society has regressed into. People are allergic to many things. If all of them were banned, we would lead a pretty boring existence.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    Allergies have been around a long time. So have peanut butter and latex. People generally learn to avoid them without making others pay for their unfortunate condition.

Of course, that was before the ridiculous "PC" mentality society has regressed into. People are allergic to many things. If all of them were banned, we would lead a pretty boring existence.
    I understand about allergies, my brother is an asthmatic. We had many episodes of emergency room visits when he was a kid! My parents dealt with it, they didn't sue the state for pollen or ragweed!!

My nephew is also allergic to peanut butter, he's required to sit at the 'allergy table' at school during lunch! Now how stigmatized is he going to be? The only reason they treat kids with allergies this way is.... THEY ARE AFRAID OF BEING SUED! My nephew is smart enough to know not to eat anything with peanuts in it, but he still has to be segregated from the 'normal'!

I guess I think like teknoid......everybody else shouldn't be required to alter their habits for the few. It is the responsibility of the individual or the parents, to make sure they don't come into contact with allergens.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

What's next? Let's outlaw people with the flu - I don't want to get sick. Older people die every year from the flu.

When I open my grocery store there's going to be a blood test and a strip search before you come in. Then we're going to review your medical record.

This is ridiculous!

Austin

Assistant Administrator
    I am more and more surprised I survived even childhood in the UK. Shucks, all the balloons I must have contacted ........ and those bubble machines, heck - how did I survive those I wonder.

I do not take serious allergic reactions lightly but - in vast majority of cases parents know in advance of allergic reaction potential with their kids ...... and so if responsible keep them away from exposure if possible. To effectively punish the many for the sake of the few is stretching things very thin .....
    This is a health and safety issue
    Yeah right - courtesy of nanny state. Things have gotten ridiculous and I wonder what is next on the list - anyone's guess.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post

Many people are allergic to pollen. I think we should have the government eradicate all pollen producing plants...for the children.

The government is not in place to protect society from latex or peanuts or pollen or the much of the myriad of bad things that the government feels the responsibility to correct and control.

What really amazes me, is that these UK 'leaders' do this with a straight face?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What really amazes me, is that these UK 'leaders' do this with a straight face?
    have you ever watched parliament on C-SPAN? it's hilarious. i thought our congress was a mindless bureaucracy. these guys and gals sit around all days and talk ever so politely to each other...."the honorable so-and-so is rightly just in his opinions, but blah blah." you can't get anything done without straight talk.

anyway, back to their guns. hopefully some of the old gun owners have some stashes buried. it's time for that country to hit the reset button.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Things have gotten ridiculous and I wonder what is next on the list - anyone's guess.
    Air...water...sunlight
    I put together a little study based on approximately 5,000 years of research and found that every person exposed to air has or will die. The same is true for those who drink water and have seen sunlight. Some people experience symptoms sooner than others of course but it is undeniable that these are the causes.

But seriously, EVERYTHING can be deemed hazardous to a certain few. The burden to insulate those few should not fall on the masses though.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Boundless capacity: people's stupidity, and politicians' belief that spending other people's money to save such people from themselves is an investment.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by KellyCooper View Post
    Air...water...sunlight
    I put together a little study based on approximately 5,000 years of research and found that every person exposed to air has or will die. The same is true for those who drink water and have seen sunlight. Some people experience symptoms sooner than others of course but it is undeniable that these are the causes.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    "This country is going crazy with its political correctness and health and safety issues and it's making us a laughing stock."
    Nooooo, I wouldn't say that.

Awwwww who am I kidding

"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links