Pellet Gun Recommendation

This is a discussion on Pellet Gun Recommendation within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a squirrel and gopher problem-digging holes and eating cedar shake roof, any recommendations on a good pellet gun. Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Gun Recommendation

I have a squirrel and gopher problem-digging holes and eating cedar shake roof, any recommendations on a good pellet gun.
    Thanks
    You know sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace....

Man, you can go from $40 up to $600 or more. A nice, meat-killer, going about 1000fps can be had from Crossman and RWS, among others, for a bit over $200. I would consider them to be the most reasonable choices.

Be aware of your local laws, some departments get their undies in a wad over pellet guns being "discharged" in city limits.
    http://cdnninvestments.com/
    and Cheaper Than Dirt occassionally have the high-powered airguns...

For fur bearers I would recommend .22 not .177 caliber. Squirrels are tougher than they look.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Vermin

The best pellet gun I have I got for about $20 at the local flea market. It's a Chineese SKS clone with a cocking lever under the barrel. Pretty powerful, enough to kill a racoon with a head shot, and cheap. It came with some crooked, lopsided pellets, but shoots OK with good pellets. I think I have RWS pointed pellets.

If you can get away with shooting a firearm instead of a pellet gun, how about the Colibri loads from Aguila?
    http://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire.htm
    As accurate as regular .22 ammo from my Marlin rifle, but quiet as a suppressed .22.

If you live by Mr. Roger's house, using a live trap would be very PC. You may even get an AWARD!!!
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I recently purchased a pellet gun called the Gamo BIG CAT i can shoot pigons in the chest and kill them. Took about 5min to put the scope on and another 10 to sight it in. It claims it shoots 1200 fps w/ the pellets that they provide. I dunno if i beleive it, but i do think its a kick butt pellet gun.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Administrator
    I like the old fashioned Sheridans. It did the trick just fine on anything I ever shot with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

RWS Model 34 -$184 at MidwayUSA.
    Own one myself. Great pellet gun, good german quality manufacturing and VERY accuarte. My Model 34 will put ten pellets into a dime at forty paces (the length of my back yard from my back porch).

I also have a Crossman Quest 1000. Not as accuarate as the RWS but good enough for what you need.

I dont use scopes for either of these.

I read somewhere (cant find it now) that anything faster than 1000fps is less accuarate than the 800-1000fps pellet rifles. Something about pellets becoming unstable at higher speeds. Not sure if this is true but I had an old Diana from years ago that shot at about the 600-800fps range...and that rifle was so accuarate it was freakish. We would shoot aspirins hanging from fishing line with it at about 25 paces with regular old iron open sights.

the best one I've ever had was a Benjamin-Sheridan pellet-gun.

Accurate and powerful...(I could "ring" the stop-sign about 100 yards down the street when I was a kid)

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Benjami...ifles_s/64.htm
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I have a Gamo Varmint Hunter that I ordered from Cabelas. 1200 FPS with raptor pellets. Good for squirrels. No good for woodchucks. I killed 3 woodchucks with one well placed shot in each from my 22 mag.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Seems to me for the money a Gamo would be hard to beat. Many of them come with optics and you can get them in the 1000-1200 fps range all day for less than $200.

Now, they do have an extreme hunter that delivers a whopping 1600 fps for $400.......it's bad.

I second the firearm choice if possible although I would recommend a Ruger 10/22. Great little rifle.

Get the RWS 350 in .22 caliber. I got one and it is a squirrel/cat/stray dog killing machine. they sell a combo that comes with a 4 power scope.
    Velocity with most pellets in .22 is between 950-1050 fps
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

How serious do you want to get? These are way out of my price range but still cool. http://ctico.com/daystate.htm
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Just get yourself a real .22. You can pick up a decent .22 for less that what half of these wizbang airguns sell for. Then if you really want to spend money, spend the money you saved on a cheap .22 suppressor and now you've got a better tool that's just as quiet as the airgun.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Careful ...

Faster (fps) is NOT always better. For airguns, ~ 1,000 fps is probably a practical limit for accuracy. Faster will be less effective.

Pellets are designed to travel at subsonic speeds. High velocities can cause light pellets to deform or even break apart and the transition from supersonic to subsonic will cause most pellets to tumble. The closer a pellet gets to the speed of sound the more unstable it becomes. A few companies have addressed this issue by manufacturing heavier than normal pellets for use in high powered air guns. These pellets travel at a reduced speed because of their weight and can be more accurate.

These are simplifications, but don't be seduced by manufacturer claims of 'high power'...

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links