I'm Covered in Red Welts, Dirt, Pine Needles, Paint, and...

This is a discussion on I'm Covered in Red Welts, Dirt, Pine Needles, Paint, and... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...cobwebs, not to mention that I'm sore as hell. Rather, I was covered in all that crap, until I changed my clothes. I took a ...

Thread: I'm Covered in Red Welts, Dirt, Pine Needles, Paint, and...

I'm Covered in Red Welts, Dirt, Pine Needles, Paint, and...

...cobwebs, not to mention that I'm sore as hell. Rather, I was covered in all that crap, until I changed my clothes.

I took a rare afternoon away from my work schedule not to train, not to travel, and not to visit family -- but to play. I drove north into the country where my friend and Shanliang Li teacher David lives on a large piece of property in the middle of nowhere. He and four of his friends and I played paintball and engaged in some speed shooting drills. It was tremendous fun.

Everyone had a semi-automatic marker but me; I was using an old PMI Trrracer pump gun to which I am sentimentally attached. Unlike the folks with semi-autos, I didn't have any line or feed problems (and only a few instances of getting multiple paintballs stuck in the barrel). I did run out of air at one point -- I was using only CO2 cartridges connected to an adapter, not a big tank -- and had to change in the middle of a fight, but the other side gave up before I finished reloading as other team members finished the job. I have a bandolier specifically for cartridges and went through quite a few of them, but still had plenty left over.

We set up a casual "speed" course and timed each person through it, shooting double-taps at one pair of cans, then another pair of cans, then a third pair of cans, running from one to the next station in order to do it. My pump gun couldn't really do two shots in quick succession -- my shooting was more a steady but slow stream of paintballs -- but the pump gun and I did fairly well. The best time was 35 seconds; the other guys averaged around 38 or 39; I brought up the rear with 41 seconds and change (which I thought respectable given the handicap of the hardware).

There is something... exhilarating... about hiding behind a stump while two or three people with semi-autos absolutely blast the hell out of that stump trying to hit you. I got shot a lot, but I didn't do too badly for myself.

At one point one player, who has a reputation for this kind of thing, went out into the woods alone between games. My teacher David got into his Jeep and drove out into the woods looking for him; the player shot the jeep. Dave came back, got the rest of the crew, and we all drove out into the woods wearing our masks with our guns out the windows. When we finally found him we all piled out and blasted the hell out of him in his hiding spot. He just couldn't get a shot off with all of us covering him. I got the closest, trying to snipe him with the pump gun, while the others kept him pinned. It was awesome.

As we were piling back into the jeep, one of other guys said, "It's like we're a gang or something, doing a drive by."

"Grove street fo' life, motha'f'er," I intoned.*

How many of you play paintball, and do you find that it helps you in your shooting training and tactics?

---------------
    * A reference to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    Last edited by Phil Elmore; May 28th, 2005 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Botched the title.

2. Remove Ads

One of the guys had a low-res keychain digicam and snapped this shot, which was forwarded to me tonight. The little guy is my teacher Dave. I'm the other clod. You can see even in this shot that his marker is a lot more involved than mine, but I did pretty well for myself. That little wagon behind us was full of paintball gear and paint.

Assistant Administrator
    Yet to ever try this Phil, maybe I am too darned old now! It is appealing tho I have to say.

Sounds like you had one humdinger of a day.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You're never too old. ;)

Lead Moderator
    paintball, airsoft all kinds of fun training stuff. Nothing like sniping someone off when the don't even know you are there. i still have a traccer pump gun too, as well as a old sheridan wood stocked pump rifle. If it wsn't so expensive to play I would more. Now we usually use airsoft. Much cheaper , and just as inaccurate.

Thumbs up

I remember when I started out playing Paintball........about 1979 .on a golf course...it costed me 20 bucks and got a Splatmaster paintball gun with the ammo..
    LOTS OF FUN!! I STILL play a bit with my younger son Stephen..who's 14...here's a coulple of the guns he has in HIS "vault" lol
    One is a Spider AMG "factory black" with electric trigger system...Shoots semi-auto, 13 balls a second and full auto. The second is a Tippmann A-5 with response trigger..controllable rate of fire including full auto mode. The third one is a WGP Autococker Outcast. Mechanical gun, semi-auto, running Nitro, or H P Air..tons of fun.. and it shows you how easily you CAN be killed in a fire-fight
    Attached Images

Links