Watermelon testing

This is a discussion on Watermelon testing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I posted this one on another site and I thought yall might like it. --- OK, I know it's a little late in the season, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watermelon testing

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar

Watermelon testing

I posted this one on another site and I thought yall might like it. --- OK, I know it's a little late in the season, but I had a chance to show this to the guys that I work with. (they being from the Pacific Northwest and not knowing a lot about watermelons lol) Everyone knows how to thump and listen for the hollow ring, most know to look for a dry brown stem, others know to look for a nice bleached out color where the melon lay as it grew. Lots have never heard of the broom straw. Take a broom straw 4" or so. Use a piece between the joint and the straw end. Place the straw on top of the melon about middle ways, lining it up cross ways. The riper the melon the sooner the straw will turn inline with the melon.

2. Remove Ads

The best way to test a watermelon is with a high velocity projectile. If it looks nice and red and juicy when it blows up, it was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    The best way to test a watermelon is with a high velocity projectile. If it looks nice and red and juicy when it blows up, it was a good one.
    Use the over ripe ones for that. lol

Administrator

The Mystery Of It All.

Good melon info.

Don't you ever wonder WHO the first person was to lay a broom straw on a melon to see if it was ripe or not?

Who was that guy?

Who are these people?

"I just got sprayed by a skunk so instead of taking a shower with soap and water I think I'll soak myself down with some...Hummmm.. TOMATO JUICE! and see if that gets rid of the smell."

Who are the first people who do these things?
    Like who was the very first Sword Swallower....and why?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    Everyone knows how to thump and listen for the hollow ring
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I guess, with this method, you can pretty much ignore the "thump" sound it makes because it will be overshadowed by "kerbloom" sound immediately after
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Good melon info.

Don't you ever wonder WHO the first person was to lay a broom straw on a melon to see if it was ripe or not?

Who was that guy?

Who are these people?

"I just got sprayed by a skunk so instead of taking a shower with soap and water I think I'll soak myself down with some...Hummmm.. TOMATO JUICE! and see if that gets rid of the smell."

Who are the first people who do these things?
    Like who was the very first Sword Swallower....and why?
    I would like to know who found the home remedy for being stung by a sea anemone
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Administrator

When I first clicked on this thread

I was expecting to see pics of watermelons getting blasted by various calibers...but...I'll take the broom straw idea.

I can't grow anything on my property as every voracious insectious vermin from hades feeds on anything grown on my property. They are impervious to anything but, a flamethrower to get rid of the QKPests.

VIP Member
    Blasting melons is a right of passage...ya have to do it at least once....it is sooooooooooo fun!

Here I go and try to teach yall some Southern Science, and everyone wants to blow things up. --lol-- Next lesson is Sweet Tea.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker View Post
    Here I go and try to teach yall some Southern Science, and everyone wants to blow things up. --lol-- Next lesson is Sweet Tea.
    You needs to goes on a mission to Yankee land, they require
    lesson on sweet tea.

Waitress-- coffee, tea, or me
    Diner--- I'll have sweet tea
    Waitress--- There's sugar on the table

Administrator
    Hey...we are not all Tea "pea brains" in Yankee Land.

Hey nn
    and that's Yankee Land with a capital "L" - by the way.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Tomato Juice is an old wives tale . What really works is "Feminine Hygiene products" ( ie massingale or however you speel it douche ) .

I just could not resist posting that correction on a thread like this lol , and NO you cannot ask me how i managed to come by this info LOL.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I have never heard of this broom straw thing. Does anyone know how it works? The only thing I can think of is a long-shot theory about a static charge on the straw and some kind of electric field generated as the melon ripens??? I'm curious is this actually does work, though, and if so, how?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Tomato Juice is an old wives tale . What really works is "Feminine Hygiene products" ( ie massingale or however you speel it douche ) .

I just could not resist posting that correction on a thread like this lol , and NO you cannot ask me how i managed to come by this info LOL.
    What truly works is a mixture of a tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap (to break up the oil in the skunk spray), baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. The oxygen released from the mixture binds with the chemicals in the skunk spray and neutralizes them.

My beloved old Akita once picked up a skunk and shook it......... phew!!!!!!!

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    but the peroxide burns and even blisters the skin of my cocker snake dog ( she has killed innumerable rattlesnakes , and only been bit 6 times lol ) .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links