SHTF hypothetical question

This is a discussion on SHTF hypothetical question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For whatever reason (you decide), the area you live in falls into dangerous cival disorder and it becomes obvious that you are now responsible for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHTF hypothetical question

For whatever reason (you decide), the area you live in falls into dangerous cival disorder and it becomes obvious that you are now responsible for your family's and your own survival. For reasons beyond your control you must stay in your home or at least in your neighborhood, (can't bug out). It is probable you will be on your own for at least a month

What would qualify someone to join you?

Would you become the neighborhood shepard and bring any and all under your protection? Would you stick strictly to yourself? Would you require that anyone who wanted to join you had to contribute in some way? What way?
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    Would you require that anyone who wanted to join you had to contribute in some way? What way?
    If its a true survival situation, I would not take on any dead weight, with the exception of children. They must contribute something, and that something would be based on need. It could be knowledge, food, water, ammo, tools or labor.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Iceman, how long are we talking about? 2-3 weeks or more like 6 months to a year?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Iceman, how long are we talking about? 2-3 weeks or more like 6 months to a year?
    In a real situation, you will never know how long it might last.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    A question I have pondered often, for years, I still don't have a clue. Every time I think of a "criteria" to meet to be accepted in, I think of a reason that I should not allow them in.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If its a true survival situation, I would not take on any dead weight, with the exception of children. They must contribute something, and that something would be based on need. It could be knowledge, food, water, ammo, tools or labor.

I think Sixto has it pretty well summed up, have to play it by ear when the time comes.

The only automatic acceptance would be family, and children, after that, they have to earn their way in.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    +1 Sixto and 4myson

You have to bring something and it is something I need to support you and others.

I do not have enough supplies to support lots of people more that a couple of days.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I've been in situations were there was an outright collapse of goverment services and where people were running the streets looting, burning & killing. One lasted about 9 days and the other lasted only three but was the bloodiest. With hurricanes Katrina and Wilma I probably spent close to two months with what I call "diminished services." Different countries and mentalities so there were approached differently. On both information was key to adapting & planning.

The first Civil Disorder caught me with my whole wardrobe down (I was not in the self-defense mentality back then) and althought it lasted 3 days, my family and I were totally unprepared and we would had been hurting for supplies by day 5. All neighbors were also caught off guard so there were no help with the exception of the son of one of them ( a cop) who drop by the second day with a bag of "goodies" of the bang-bang kind for me with the condition to look after his folks.
    The second Civil Disturbance we were more prepared and rode it "well" in the sense of food supplies. We were without power for a couple of days but we had a generator but again the neighbors were to no use. On this ocassion I had to do with a PPK in .32 with 2 loaded mags and some extra 50 rounds plus a single shot shotgun with 40 mixed rounds of buck & slug.
    For the Hurricanes I was prepared, not quite as I would want it, but we did not have major issues other than gas for the truck (never the heck again). Only one neighbor had (and has) my absolute confidence (former partner and friend for 20 years) and we watched each other's houses and back for the duration. The rest of the neighbors were helpful & informative (where to get what and how much, tool loans, help cleaning the roads, etc.) but they locked themselves up at nights instead of keeping an eye on the street even though you could not see LEO unless your house was on fire at an intersection without traffic lights.
    So, I would only have one neighbor I would count on helping and being helped for SHTF scenario and I know he would do what was required. Other than that there is a lady in a wheelchair that I would take under my wing till her family could come to help her. Other than that.....pzzzzzzzzzzzt!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Administrator
    I take you in Miggy for your cartography skills.

Miggy's post did make me think of another issue related to this... Trust. How do I know someone might bring something to my table just to see what I have for later use. I know it sounds paranoid, but people do messed up things in times like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I take you in Miggy for your cartography skills.

Now that is a good one. I guess intimate knowledge of a Wally World is helpful when you are trying to get supplies in total darkness. But I would have to reccomend my wife for the post.
    Randy Cain.

Me and my family. That is the sum total of who would be allowed in the house. We wouldn't be taking anyone else in.

I like my neighbors but, when it all goes South, they will be responsible for their own survival just like we are responsible for ours.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Miggy's post did make me think of another issue related to this... Trust. How do I know someone might bring something to my table just to see what I have for later use. I know it sounds paranoid, but people do messed up things in times like this.
    That is a VERY important point and one my partner and I addressed after the civil disturbances: Who would we keep, and who would get sent away in another case like that. We used to say jokingly that more likely the first bullet we would shoot to a person would be addressed to one we knew rather than at a BG according to his personality and reaction to danger. We had a couple of friends that are absolutely unrelaible and/or dangerous if SHTF because they could get panicky and do something stupid The old "Let's give them what they want and they will leave us alone" type), had zero skills to contribute or would not prepare themselves no matter how many warnings they would get. Some people that were not even friends would get invited because the knowledge & skills they possesed: one was a doctor, another was a handyman with a great array of tools and even one was a pilot who was an absolute whinner but could fly just about anything but choppers and was pretty decent with engines. All but me were good at handling small to medium size boats (I get seasick by looking at a docked cruise ship).
    If something happens now, it woud be my family and my partner as inner circle (House Perimeter Only), with just one neighbor that I might keep an eye on because he is damn good with tools & fixing stuff.
    Randy Cain.

Trust is a big issue. While extra hands around for security and labor would be welcome, how can I be sure that they won't turn a gun on me and take whatever stockpile I have? Easier if I knew the person a little. I feel like I know some of the folks here well enough to earn them a chance to prove they are trustworthy. At least better than some dude from down the block. Maybe we should establish a secret handshake?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Moderator
    Maybe we need Sheepdog T shirts.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Maybe we should establish a secret handshake?

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Maybe we need Sheepdog T shirts.

You can cover both of those at the defensivecarry store.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

well, since I have a large house, I would actually want a few more people that just me and my wife to stand watch and help out. I would take in my neighbors (some of whom have small children) and immediate family. My place is a corner lot with a creek behind, so from a defensive standpoint, it's a good place to be. Never really thought about a SHTF situation.
    Last edited by PAExplorer; August 17th, 2007 at 01:31 PM.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links