Comment By Jet Li

This is a discussion on Comment By Jet Li within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Always liked his movies and now with his comment here makes me wonder if not ever body hates guns in hollyweird Unleashed is his new ...

Thread: Comment By Jet Li

Comment By Jet Li

Always liked his movies and now with his comment here makes me wonder if not ever body hates guns in hollyweird

Unleashed is his new movie.

Summing up the message of Unleashed, Jet Li says, “It’s a parable against violence. Violence is not the only solution. I believe martial arts to be like a gun. A gun itself doesn’t mean good or bad. Some use guns to protect people; some use guns to hurt people. Danny has learned to use martial arts, but he doesn’t understand life.
    ~Jet Li

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    A gun itself doesn't mean good or bad
    Correct!!! I might even amend that slightly - ''A gun by and of itself doesn't mean good or bad''.

But then this sorta sense might rob the paranoids of their favorite ''bad gun'' attitude - seeing as how guns just go on the rampage and fire at will (whoever he is! ).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    You guys have got to careful of this union. On the surface it would appear that people of traditional eastern arts would be allies in upholding Second Amendment rights. Many of them are gun owners. The movie becomes the commercial.

But if you have ever waded at that shallow end of the gene pool you'll see a parade that rivals The Society For Creative Anachronism.

There's seems to be an intense "my dojo" infight that never goes away. One character will launch his credentials with the caveat that all other credentials are the idiot ******* children of long discredited practices. They seem to want to expend more energy fighting each other than the common enemies of personal freedom.

To even 'correct' one is an open invitation to total war. They latch on to mystic mumbo jumbo that appears to be buttressed by these movies.

It's foolishness. Even political thinkers in my ranks like Sonny Barger and locally Robert Smith, knew that a union and a stop to petty infighting was the real answer. I've seen some gun owners snub the JDL. I have some problems with them, myself, but not at the ballot box; that's our united voice.

Due to Robert Smith's work forming The Wisconsin Better Bikers Association, my State got the helmet law repealed in 1979. This is where I learned my contempt for little kings. I ride free today. They still grind out crappy biker movies.

Don't get sucked into this end of our debate. Let them clean their own house. The Hollywood connection is probably a sign. Whether it caters to martial arts, gun use, automobiles or bikes, they just don't seem to be able to get it right. I've seen enough of these spokensmen, who I throw into the same barrel as "the flying katana salesmen."

The meat of our concern is the safe and legal use of firearms as secured by The Framers. This is where I want to put my allegiance.

BTW, the 'humor' column is where this stuff belongs.
    Last edited by The Tourist; May 31st, 2005 at 01:13 AM.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Tourist, SONNY BARGER !! Hadn't heard that name in awhile. I actually had a couple of brews with him and his buddies up at the Alpine Beer Garden(Rosatties') in the foothills of San Fran in the early 70's. I was on R&R from "The Nam" and he bought us several beers "just because". Then he was the Prez of the San Fran chapter if memory serves. I remember him(forget the bad press) as a good guy. We were in uniform and he didn't let any of the hippies that were there give us any s---. For that we were greatful.----

RSSZ,

Yes, I agree. Even they have a saying, "When we do right, no one remembers; when we do wrong, no one forgets."

And the one thing that most people forget is that he was a charismatic leader who shaped the hobby, physical look and attitude that most bikers share--and benefit from--even today.

His leadership, and the art of Peter Fonda, hit the baby boomers right when they were seeking an identity. As you pointed out, not all of us were protestors, married to our parents wallets or wandering hippies. Today, even Hondas look like the bikes he rode.

More than that, people like Barger cut through all of the bravado about what freedom really is. He dared to speak his mind, and not just about the war. (He offered the Angels for military duty.)

To meld this opinion to the topic of thread, his presence is one of the primary reasons I have reservations of Hollywood and its political bent, and the clannish and clownish bumbling of the ever-warring eastern disciplines.

However, when Hollywood meets east, buy a big old bowl of popcorn because you are about to see ravings equal only to a Pink Panther cartoon.

Before you (that's the editorial 'you') castigate Barger as a simple thug, read his prose. Do some historical research on why they had to silence his organization with a questionable RICO rap. Do a compare and contrast of his ideals and real courage to live against the crumb-bums we have today, puffing air at a photo op.

View Barger in his prime. He was daring, articulate and in hindsight, painfully correct. If he could walk into a room today, as then, even with his average stature, guys like this Hollywood ninja would back off the stage to change their Depends.

Do some historical research on why they had to silence his organization with a questionable RICO rap.
    RICO is a farce. In my opinion, THAT law was the first overt attack on the 4th and 5th Amendments.

Like him or hate him , Barger stood up, and that's rare enough in anyone today.

Barger stood up
    And he's still standing up, even after his operation for throat cancer.

He had a very successful book, and he did come out against cigarettes and cocaine, as you would expect any old survivor to do. Reflection is a stern mistress.

Yes, he has his detractors. This is what draws me to him. His opinions and prose cost him.

As I've said, I am the man I am today because of Sonny. I have regrets to be sure. But I've never lost a wink of sleep for adhering to what I believe and then verbalizing that opinion. I think he's the only celebrity I would pay to see, other than Ciara slathering on olive oil--but Sonny would understand that.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    While on this subject I will interject this --> In the late 70's (probably mid '77) I got a set of "cream puff" orders to Ames Research Center,about 30 miles south of San Fran. I got a part time job(the best way to meet girls when your new in an area) as a bouncer at a very well known watering hole named St. James Infirmery. Incidently,being a bouncer did the trick. Oh well,nuff bout that. Anyway, the H.A.'s used to have a "get together" at that establishment the third Thurs.of each month. The only problems that we ever had with the Angles was the fights that they FINISHED. There seemed to always be some drunk that wanted to show his buddies and/or girlfriend that he was as tough. After the Angel would hit on him a few times,we would throw the guy out or call the ambulance and the fun would continue. The only problems that we would have with the "bikers" would be if the (am fairly sure the name was)Unforgiven Sinners would wonder into the bar at the same time as the Angels were there. That very rarely happened. Standing outside,I would see them ride by,slow down, see the "hogs" parked in front and keep going. I believe that this too was the time of Barger but can't remember for sure. Just remember that if one of the Angels got outta line we would talk to the "senior guy"(not sure that is the correct terminology) and things would "get allright". Probably cuz this was the place that they wanted to be. I believe that they had an "arrangement" with the owners also. Man lemme tell ya,them were the daze.------

There seemed to always be some drunk that wanted to show...he was...tough
    No apology for thread drift required. Your comment underlines what this thread professes. And that is misperceptions, Hollywood and a know-it-all who mouths off.

My view about drunken townies is exactly as yours. After a full week of loading heavy padlock boxes into steamy trucks the only think I wanted was a cheeseburger and a cold beer/soda.

And while cowboys seem to miss the label, it appears that 'fighters' are drawn to bikers.

The best fighter in the world is an annoyed cowboy who knows how to punch, after work, and after a few shots of liquor.

And besides, who died and made Jet Li the spokesman on violence and the media, anyway? He makes his living from violence and the media. It's like Martin Sheen taking money for 'Apocalypse Now' and then bashing firearms and the military. Martin Sheen only has a career because of Apocalypse Now.

We always laughed at Caine espousing peace for 40 minutes in Kung Fu and then using the methods of his detractors to achieve goals during the last few minutes. If that is what you believe, then stand for it instead of rationalizing your duplicity.

Of course, I have reservations about the taking of human life. Yikes, good soldiers have reservations. However, when the aggressor rears his ugly rear then my plan is defined.

No other than Jeff Cooper advised us to refer to a 'weapon' as a weapon if that is what it is used for. I'd ask Jet Li why he goes to the dojo. Of course, he'd want the cameras running.

I did a little bouncing in my time, too. In my neck of the woods, it was the Vigilantes or the Devil's Disciples that would come in to have a brew. Never a problem. We always had to toss the twenty-something 'Guido' that had seen too many episodes of "The Sopranos" I finally gave that gig up when I got tired of spanking other peoples' children.

I finally gave that gig up when I got tired of spanking other peoples' children.
    LMAO!

That's hilarious. A very good way of putting it. Exactly why I don't bounce anymore.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

'Guido' that had seen too many episodes of "The Sopranos"
    Yikes, I know the feeling.

The most dangerous men in my 'family' are so quiet and polite in restaurants that you'd think it was a convention of priests.

Even I'm a tad careful around my cousin Alan, but if you heard us speaking there would never be a curse word.

About two weeks ago, his Mother (my Aunt Minnie) died at the advanced age of 93. She went peacefully after an historic and action packed life.

While grieving, Alan asked if my brother and I had heard, and if so, how were we getting along--and did we need anything.

I think there's a real disconnect between guys that can, and guys that can't. And I'll be blunt here; I dumped several forums over the past two months because of all of the unadulterated BS. If I have to be told how dangerous someone is, then he probably isn't.

Both Bob Smith, the president of the CC Riders, and his brother Dick, The Chief Club Enforcer (the holders of these offices during my tenure) never carried a weapon. Neither needed weapons.

And the first words out of their mouths was usually a joke.

Links