Six to be charged in BWCA shooting spree

This is a discussion on Six to be charged in BWCA shooting spree within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; BWCA stands for Boundary Water Canoe Area here in MN. A great place to tent camp and canoe. http://www.timberjay.com/current.php?article=3607 "According to Lake County Undersheriff Jerry ...

Thread: Six to be charged in BWCA shooting spree

Six to be charged in BWCA shooting spree

BWCA stands for Boundary Water Canoe Area here in MN. A great place to tent camp and canoe.

http://www.timberjay.com/current.php?article=3607

"According to Lake County Undersheriff Jerry Norberg, a large number of campers on Basswood Lake called the sheriff’s office in the late evening hours of Aug. 7 to report gunshots and threatening behavior by a group of men. Several reports claimed the group of males in two boats fired gunshots, used abusive language and made threats to harm or even kill others on the lake."

Now the typical response from the tree hugging, granola eating crowd could be summed up by this sentence, "Many of the complainants were traumatized by the incident and, rather than stay at their campsites, they hid in the woods."

How would you all have responded?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Although I eat a lot of granola and listen to a lot of 60's music, if one of those idiots pointed a gun at me I would have responded in kind.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Senior Moderator
    Would have probably hid in the woods too, unless I thought they were targetting me and mine. If so I would have blasted them
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    How would you all have responded?
    Yeah if they pointed a gun at me, I would have responded with about 15 friends weighing only 124 grains and who can fly at about 1100 FPS, a mag change, after assessing the area for additonal threats if i need 17 more friends same height and weight as before, running the 40 meter dash at the same speed!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I would have probably set a security perimiter with camping companions, reconed the area to check the threat level and proximity of the BG's and then if necessary, strike camp and leave.

If decided it was relatively safe to remain in camp I would post a heightened 24 hr security watches with members of camping party.

These days, with all the looney nutcases who prey on those who are out off the beaten path, we always post at least one person around the clock in shifts for security.

I won't go on a camping trip or float trip with anyone who doesn't want to abide by that basic security principle.

If in a camping party with at least five or six people, I will insist on two at a time on watch.

A heightened state of security would require one guard to be away from the main camp site to do a stealth overwatch of the area from a short distance and free to move around. I also have a set of cheap $40 FRS walkie talkies that I bring on trips since they are small and light weight. Whether they get used or not depends on how we set up security and the area we are in.

I have tried to do at least one float trip a year with a friend of mine and some of his work friends. I was surprised that before I joined the group, none of them subscribed to this practice.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Would have probably hid in the woods too, unless I thought they were targetting me and mine.
    I imagine I would have done just about that. The thing is, they're very lucky to have been "roughing it" so close-in, where cell phone coverage or nearby residents could be used to bring help. Frankly, most of the places I go to are far from immediate help, thus you're on your own out there. Pistol and plenty of spare mags ... check. 44mag rifle ... check. Light ... check. Daypack containing critical supplies for a night out in the woods ... check. Cell phone ... check.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ron
    If I was not being targeted, why in the world would it make sense to do anything other then get me and my family as far away as possible, including hiding in the woods, if necessary.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If I was not being targeted, why in the world would it make sense to do anything other then get me and my family as far away as possible, including hiding in the woods, if necessary.

Ron
    I dont know, perhaps maybe you didn't want to see some other parents kid get killed?
    I know that may sound lke being a vigilante or whatever, but the scum like the ones in this story need to be put down like rabid animals.

Thats just my opinion of course.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    I dont know, perhaps maybe you didn't want to see some other parents kid get killed?
    I know that may sound lke being a vigilante or whatever, but the scum like the ones in this story need to be put down like rabid animals.

Thats just my opinion of course.
    As long as they are just firing in the air, and yelling, gun is out, still concealed and the family is moving to cover. This sounds like a situation where you are outnumbered and it's probably best just get out rather than start a war.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Seek cover, assess threat; retreat and report. Time for a new campsite!

Had something happen like this ~10 years ago when I was still living in MN. It's sad to say that it was in a very small town everyone is your friend kinda place. But lakes do draw people from a lot of different areas.

Seeing this senario, reminded me of that night. Anyway

group out in boats could give you a distance of 100-200 yards. So you could not really see them. Running lights off (bad) Moon light would help possibly, due to the reflection on the water showing if they would approach. nothing stops them from going down the shore a bit and approaching from the sides though.

My night, thankfully, was just allot of words and them saying "we're going back to get the guns" but nothing ever happend. we all played it off. and later, slept it off.

it's amazing how a few years of experiance makes you look back and go "what were we thinking?"
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

Links