Hurricane Dean

This is a discussion on Hurricane Dean within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Watching the coverage of Hurricane Dean has really brought one thing home to me.......I do not miss worrying about hurricanes at all. We moved here ...

Thread: Hurricane Dean

Hurricane Dean

Watching the coverage of Hurricane Dean has really brought one thing home to me.......I do not miss worrying about hurricanes at all.

We moved here to West Tennessee right after Hurricane Katrina. One month after Katrina in fact, from Mobile Alabama. After Ivan Dennis, Katrina and Rita and innumerable lesser storms that I don't even remember the names of, living here in the Mid-South is like paradise.

I love the Gulf Coast. It is a beautiful place and I still miss it. But, I don't think I will ever live there again just because I don't want to go through the hurricanes and the worry over them again.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I can understand your feelings but Hurricanes don't bother me. I rather enjoy them, it's a free camping trip if I evacuate. Hurricane prep was an excuse to buy a generator and other SHTF supplies and every year I get to by more tax free. Granted I don't live on the coast so I get less impact than others, but I will take wind and rain before the Ice storms and Tornados I got when I lived in Arkansas. At least I get plenty of warning with Hurricanes.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Well, as one who USED to love hurricanes...

I now live on a barrier island on the E coast of FL.
    We evacuated before Frances (with predictions of 14' storm surge on a 15' high piece of ground), but stayed thru Charley and Jeanne, and then spent 2005 watching 26 storms with great anxiety....

It has gotten old. It clearly affected the mood of many in our communities. And, the insurance rates!!! while the insurance companies are making record profits....

We have our hurricane supplies ready. The SHTF/bug-out bag in process, and will wait to see what the storms and Mother Nature bring. It just isn't safe where we are if the storm surge looks high.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

New England is great if you don't mind the cold. All we get up here is rain and blizzards. I love getting three feet of snow in one 24 hour period. Plus you get the excuse to buy 4WD vehicles and SHTF gear as well. You should see our snow plows...
    Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06
    "Always Flexible"

All I can say is any excuse to raise the price of a gallon of gas, #$%@#%$#!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperGumby View Post
    New England is great if you don't mind the cold. All we get up here is rain and blizzards. I love getting three feet of snow in one 24 hour period. Plus you get the excuse to buy 4WD vehicles and SHTF gear as well. You should see our snow plows...
    I'd be there in a heart beat. I love the snow. I think snow plows should be banned.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    I certainly relish being essentially ''outa the line of fire'' for these violent storms, and do not envy folks who are at the sharp end.

No amount of prep'ing would make me feel secure and even up here in PA - some violent storms and even odd tornado - are plenty enough to deal with. Winter is a bit drawn out but hey - without that to endure I'd probably not so enjoy the summer (except for heat and humidity extremes).

One problem with age is - having that feeling that if meteorological SHTF wipes out all you have - there is little time left to start over!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Hey Chris you always hear about huricanes and tornados here in the states. Do they have these kind of storms in Europe? I just never hear about them.

Assistant Administrator
    Can't speak for all Europe Ben But - in UK it is rare to have very extreme stuff like tornados.

Back in IIRC 1987 we did have a storm coming in which was described as - ''no - it ain't a hurricane''. In fact it was!!! A cat' one I guess but did a huge amount of damage - the meteorologist who said it was not a hurricane never lived that down!!

Big factors different tho when you think on it. UK is, where I was, latitude 51º down in SW - here in PA even I am Lat 40º. Add to that here in U.S. we have that hot ''pond'' called the gulf .... huge energy available for spinning up nasties that come in from the East - plus too - the drift north of super saturated air that meets frontal systems and then gets rotation to produce twisters up the middle.

UK being an island suffers from repeated assaults from Atlantic depressions ... and they can be bad and can last ages - but the Gulf Stream keeps the island quite temperate and yet does not ''fuel'' highly energetic systems like we see spawned by the Gulf.

The rest of Europe is pretty much free of our severity of weather re hurricanes and twisters ... tho I guess just now and again the Mediterranan if hot enough could drum up some severe conditions. Still - no way comparable to Gulf induced troubles as we have.
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I understand.I live near Beaumont,Tx.We were hit head on by Rita.I do not know if we could take another one.

Good Point, But...

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    ...One problem with age is - having that feeling that if meteorological SHTF wipes out all you have - there is little time left to start over!!
    The good thing about 'age' is that you either realize that you really don't need all that crap...or you can't remember what you used most of it for anyway...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I was just wondering Chris, I just never hear about bad stroms in Europe except for sometimes the extreme winters. I know when my Grandmother was alive she used to tell me a story about her first years here in the states from France. They moved to middle Illinois and went through their first torinado. She told me that their only milk cow landed in a tree and they had to shoot the cow and cut it out of the tree. They thought it was a sign from God to go back home but they knew they couldn't do that either since WW1 was going on in Europe. She said they didn't know what a torinado was.

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The good thing about 'age' is that you either realize that you really don't need all that crap...or you can't remember what you used most of it for anyway...
    Could be Ken but - I'll be honest, despite being a packrat - I have a loada stuff I really don't wanna lose ........ and I can remember what I can do with it.

Perhaps a penalty for being an engineer - one who in a ''situation'' reckons to almost always find a solution - usually after digging around the cluttered shop and maybe even spinning up the lathe!

If I lost the whole deal - not sure I'd know where to restart - wouldn't work for me.
    Chris - P95

Links