OK, I've got a bird problem...

This is a discussion on OK, I've got a bird problem... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We pretty much have to park our cars under a large tree and the birds, no idea what kind(s), really dump on the cars. If ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, I've got a bird problem...

Senior Moderator

OK, I've got a bird problem...

We pretty much have to park our cars under a large tree and the birds, no idea what kind(s), really dump on the cars. If we park anywhere else, the cars either get baked in the sun or we block each other in.

Anybody know of any humane ways to deal with birds? Scare-owls (scare-crows), noise makers????

Thanks for any suggestions.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Try the owls

Or you put bird feeders away from your parking spot, lure the birds elsewhere.

I have cats that come into my garden all the time and dig up my plants and leave their "treasures". If only we could combine our problems --- your birds and my cats.

VIP Member
    Just be thankful Tangle that you do not have Mulberry trees close to you also. They can make your car look like a tie-die shirt. lol

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, I guess things could be worse.

Assistant Administrator
    Can't help thinking 12G .... hmmm - but no - not allowable

Might be worth using a good auto wax tho on exposed surfaces like roof, hood, trunk etc ... so the ''stuff'' at least washes off easier and doesn't fade the paint. I have seen droppings really spoil good paintwork in the past.

Be thankful you don't park next to the ocean where the seagulls do their ''bombing'' runs LOL.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    my university had a pretty bad bird problem for a while, and their plan of attack was to go around to all the trees at about dusk, strobe them with really bright flashlights and set off firecrackers. It took awhile, but it worked. The birds all set up shop at the wal-mart a couple miles away.

You could always train a couple of hawks. The university tried this too. They're effective, but they leave bloody clumps of feathers everywhere.

Get a bird bath and set it under the tree; fill it with water that you have boiled Habanero peppers in. The birds will flock down there to take a bath they will never forget. It won't hurt or kill them, but they will seek greener pastures in a hurry. just go buy about 100 habanero peppers and for every quart pan boil 20 peppers until they are literally falling apart in the pot. Then, pour the water out through a sifter to separate the boiled peppers, and place it in a container you can seal. DO NOT get the water on your hands; if you rub your eyes you will spend the next 30 minutes at the sink flushing them. take the container full and pour it into the birdbath. make sure at least 50% of the bath water is your boiled pepper water. It usually takes about 2 days, but I promise you they will leave. The mixture is also great for training Dogs or Cats to stay away from certain areas as well. In the case of a previous poster regarding Cats, just put the pepper water in a cheap garden sprayer and spray it on your garden plants, and when Kitty, or any other animal rubs against it, they get the pepper juice all over them. Of course, when they begin licking to clean themselves, they get a nice surprise.

Good luck with your problem.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    my university had a pretty bad bird problem for a while, and their plan of attack was to go around to all the trees at about dusk, strobe them with really bright flashlights and set off firecrackers. It took awhile, but it worked. The birds all set up shop at the wal-mart a couple miles away.

You could always train a couple of hawks. The university tried this too. They're effective, but they leave bloody clumps of feathers everywhere.
    But were the bloody clumps of feathers on the cars?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    alkaseltzer to the rescue!!!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Put a feeder out with uncooked rice in it and a bird bath close by...when they drink the water, the rice swells up and oops...the bird gets fatter than it can handle. This is why it's politically incorrect to throw rice at a wedding now...too many pidgeons were croaking around the churches. The habanera water sounds like a good plan, too...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

My solution depends on the type of birds. If they're not predatory (which I suspect not since they're all congregating together in the tree over your car), my solution WORKS! This is assuming you can't shoot them due to a highly populated area and such. At the toy stores they have FAKE snakes...I found one that works really well. It's a blow up viper that blows up to roughly 6' long. Just put it up in the branches of the tree above your car. It's pretty much Guaranteed that the birds wont go ANYWHERE near it. Results: No birds=no bird poo.

How did I discover this you ask? They kept building their nests up in the rafters of the gazeebo which effectively meant that they kept doing their business on my hammock on the gazeebo. I knew regular birds were afraid of snakes (and it makes sense since that's what many large snakes eat...) so I figured I'd give it a go with a fake one ....sort of like a scarecrow...er uh scaresnake?.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I would suggest a screening of Steele Magnolias. The scenes attempting to scare the birds away from the reception area might have some ideas for you.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Administrator

Tangle

"We pretty much have to park our cars under a large tree"

Tangle...I'm confused.
    Since when has a large tree ever presented any sort of problem to you?
    Go up and wring their little feathered necks.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links