When to call about a DUI

When to call about a DUI

This is a discussion on When to call about a DUI within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I work second shift, and am often on the road from midnight to 2:30 or so, mostly interstate. Every couple months I see someone who's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to call about a DUI

When to call about a DUI

I work second shift, and am often on the road from midnight to 2:30 or so, mostly interstate. Every couple months I see someone who's driving is so erratic that I call them in. Every few weeks I see someone who makes me wonder if I should call them in. How bad should someone's driving be before I should call, and is there anything specific I should look for?

color, make, model and license plate number....number of occupants

VIP Member
    Calling in an erratic driver is more a personal judgment call than anything else. If you are uncomfortable being behind them defiantly call it in, they may only be fatigiuged which is just as dangerous as DUI but if they are hugging or crossing the centerline they are posing a hazard to other drivers.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sevesteen View Post
    I work second shift, and am often on the road from midnight to 2:30 or so, mostly interstate. Every couple months I see someone who's driving is so erratic that I call them in. Every few weeks I see someone who makes me wonder if I should call them in. How bad should someone's driving be before I should call, and is there anything specific I should look for?
    I tend to want to call (and sometimes do) when I notice that for at least a half mile or more the person is not keeping within his lane. When the tires touch the left or right lane lines a couple of times, then a few more times, it's time to call. Other things are when they react really poorly to traffic lights, stopping or slowing significantly on greens, failing to stop before the line at reds.

Yeah, make, model, license plate, driver description, number of occupants, location, direction, what made you decide to call...

edit: Why do so many people on this forum type "defiantly" when they mean "definitely"? We do know what "defiant" means, right?...

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    If a car crosses either the centerline or the shoulder two times in less than five minutes.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I call and provide all information I can regarding dangerous behavior when I see drivers excessively speeding, weaving erratically, or whatever. I stay a safe distance behind them. If they appear intoxicated and I have the time I may even follow behind them giving directions to the 911 operator. The reason for this is that if something happens I may provide some assistance to get help faster.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    edit: Why do so many people on this forum type "defiantly" when they mean "definitely"? We do know what "defiant" means, right?...

The same reason they type "dose" instead of does.

When to call about a DUI
    Always, 'cause it's an innocent death that is down that path. It's only a matter of when.

What to look for? Inability to maintain lane control, speed control, lack of lights, running over things, and the usual stuff we've all seen from time to time. When you see a really bad example, you'll know it. It won't be anything else. Under the influence of something other than common sense ... doesn't really matter what, if threatening others.

I'm sure the LEO's will be able to chip in with some good suggestions.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    2 options:

Sum uf uss are lowsee speellers,
    OR,
    some fo us aer losuy typres.

Any toher qwestuns?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The question you need to ask yourself is this: If you don't call it in and the driver in question goes on down the road and kills somebody, can you sleep at night? personally, I have zero sympathy for drunk drivers, so I call every time, regardless of whether or not I am right, if I am wrong, at least it lets the erratic driver know that there are other drivers out there that are concerned about their driving.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    I call when they scare me with their driving
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    It is about time the forum spelling police come out, please bring out the grammar police, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    It is about time the forum spelling police come out, please bring out the grammar police, as well.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Don't bring out the spelin police or them there grammar police neither. If ya due, I might git kicked of the form!!!!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I've only called a few times, but when I did the 911 operator was much more concerned with the fact that I was following the impaired driver. It didn't matter that I kept telling them that I was just on my way home, I was NOT intentionally following the driver.

I don't call anymore because of those instances, I understand they may have a concern to be sure that I'm not a vigilante, but they weren't interested in location, vehicle, direction. The operator just kept interrupting me demanding that I quit following the vehicle.

I thought the first time it was just that operator, but it's happened a few other times so I guess that's how they are trained.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Senior Moderator
    Typical signs of DUI:

1. Inability to hold lane
    2. Erratic speed - slowing and speeding up for no apparent reason
    3. Driving with lights off

When to call - well, if you've thought about calling, do it.

Might be nothing at all, in which case no harm, no foul.
    Or, you might just save someone's life.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links