Student Suspended For Drawing Gun

This is a discussion on Student Suspended For Drawing Gun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.kpho.com/news/13943838/detail.html Holy Crap! If these people saw the stuff my boys write on their school papers, they'd freak. My kids are constantly bring home schol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student Suspended For Drawing Gun

http://www.kpho.com/news/13943838/detail.html

Holy Crap! If these people saw the stuff my boys write on their school papers, they'd freak. My kids are constantly bring home schol papers that they've doodled on that have pictures of tanks, fighter planes, aliens with ray guns, and yes even guns....... I give up. People are so screwed up. Just a couple of weeks ago, in Cleveland (lovely place) there was a carload of 13-15 year old boys driving a stolen car, got involved in a police chase (which the cops called off for safety reasons) and hit and killed a lady..... At the same time my 2 sons were on their playstation playing the "medal of honor" game...... people want to think that video games breed violence. But ya know what? While that group of teenagers was out committing crime after crime, I knew exactly where my boys were and what they were doing....... And now I see this story about a kid who drew a gun getting in trouble. He drew a damn picture. Now he's told that he's a bad kid!?!?!? And his dad considers it a victory because his suspension was cut to 3 days?????
    I give up.
    CW

Oh. THAT kind of drawing. I thought the kid actually drew a gun, from the thread title.

yeah, if he got suspended for drawing a gun, I think a single page (any page) out of my 8th or 9th grade notebooks would get me expelled...
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

These "educators" are morons....I can't wait until some bonehead tries that around here. They'll be tried in the court of common sense...and lose.

wow...good thing they never saw MY doodles! This is very mild compared to the battlefields that I would draw as a kid.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    What is it with the public school system, and making kids think that guns always equals violence? I remember as a kid, the schools I went to all taught me to dislike guns, and I actually believed that guns were the cause of the many shootings that happen in the United States. That is until I grew older and wiser, and realized that guns are not to blame, the violent individuals are. Schools nowdays are teaching kids to "duck and cover" and dial 911 when something is going down. I think that's a nicer way of saying "Stick your head between your legs, and kiss your rear end goodbye!" It just really disgusts me to read things like this.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Here's a picture I drew back in middle school that was particularly.. interesting (possibly NSFW, crudely drawn stick figure mutilation)
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

To quote Bugs "What a maroon!"
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Common sense has left the building!
    ...one jagged hole!

It was a victory for the kid...3 days less that he has to be in the system.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    The scary thing is, this isn't the first time I've heard of this.

I'm starting to think home schooling is the only reasonable option.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

'BS 5 News investigated the rules students must follow while at school. There's nothing in a portion of the student handbook that addresses conduct to indicate the drawing of a weapon poses threat.

There is a rule that says students should not engage in "Threatening an educational institution by interference with or disruption of the school." '
    A crappy drawing, and this kid has been determined a threat to the school, having disrupted the school via the drawing. That's one heck of a standard, there. While there is such a thing as being on the watch for threatening behavior, it seems to me the adults in question need to seriously rethink their line of work. A = B. B reminds me of my fears of C. Therefore, A = C. Wow.

As someone licensed to carry a concealed firearm, if I were to see someone with baggy pants and crotch draggin' in the gutter, then I were to pull out my firearm and demand he get on the ground to await arrest by police ... I would be jailed for enough crimes to choke on. The rational tipping point in any encounter such as that is: when the threat becomes real, when there is an overt threat to my life and the ability and manifest intent to execute on that threat. Likewise, no silly drawing could possibly be considered threatening unless combined with an ability and/or manifest intent, something (anthing!) else to warrant reading that picture as a threat to lives.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    What is it with the public school system, and making kids think that guns always equals violence?
    Public = the lowest common denominator. Ask any career educator over the age of 50.

For those that can swing it, home schooling can be a tremendous "leg up" on the world, avoiding many of the common potholes that the mob blindly steps into.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    It takes an IQ approaching zero to administer a zero tolerance policy.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Amazing. I can't even imagine the hell I would stir up if something like this happened to one of my kids.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Senior Moderator
    That's really sad,

I'm glad we are going to send our son to Catholic school.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Absolute insanity. The thing he drew is barely recognizable as a pistol, even if you ignore the people and smiley faces. The PC mindset has just taken over here.

This does prove that boys will always make/draw guns, even if they've never seen one in person, though.

A note on home-schooling. I was home-schooled K-12, with good results. I learned to teach myself, I learned time management, and most importantly, I learned critical thinking. It may not be for everyone, but for those that do pursue it, it can be a big advantage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links