Service when you're not home

This is a discussion on Service when you're not home within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I came home this afternoon to a little door hanger. Odd...I wasn't expecting anything from UPS/FedEx, etc. Come to find out it's from a pest ...

Thread: Service when you're not home

Service when you're not home

I came home this afternoon to a little door hanger. Odd...I wasn't expecting anything from UPS/FedEx, etc. Come to find out it's from a pest control company here in Nashville. It's an invoice for service. Odd..I didn't call for any service. It's for a house on the next block, same last two digits of the address. I reconize the number as UPS has delivered a few thousand dollars of my computer hardware to that address. They're nice people. The thing that got me was on the invoice was their
    Name
    Address
    phone number
    hours they would be home
    the location of where the spare key would be

All this information...sitting on a strangers door. Now I know approximately what hours they won't be home, I know what cars they drive (I've seen them in the driveway) and I have a solid phone number for reconning the target...oh...let's not forget WHERE THE SPARE KEY IS

Oh well...it's 104 outside right now...too hot to dress up in my ninja gear and pick myself up a big screen TV

Do sheep let service people into their homes when they're not there? It's worse than I thought. I thought it was only a couple of my clients. At least the KNOW me. This guy sprayed the wrong house....he had never been there before I'm guessing.
    Let's tell a company full of strangers where the spare key to our house is so they can muck around while we're not here.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

2. Remove Ads

Yes, it is that bad sometimes. You might be a good neighbor and point this out to them when you give them their notice. Hard to understand how people can be that oblivious isn't it?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I'd run into customers like this quite often when I was doing A/C. If it was just a check out a lot of people will just tell you where the key is and leave the check on the kitchen table. It wasn't always the older crowd either, I had many a yuppie tell me where the hide-a-key was.

I never felt comfortable about going into someone's home when they were not around, I always refused. I lost a few customers over it, but I just didn't think it was worth the liability. The owner of the company just couldn't see why I had a problem with it. Go figure.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    I never felt comfortable about going into someone's home when they were not around, I always refused. I lost a few customers over it, but I just didn't think it was worth the liability. The owner of the company just couldn't see why I had a problem with it. Go figure.
    Yeah...until something goes missing and you and the company are held liable. After all, the family's teenage kids won't lie...or the nefarious brother/brother-in-law/cousin/friend from prison, etc

As a Service Tech you wont believe the Crap people will tell you so they dont have to be home or that get mad when you tell them after knock on the door and the 10 year old answers the door and brings you the phone that no i cant enter your house stupid someone has to be over 18 duh

Ive been left notes with the garage door opener code and where the money is in the kitchen to pay me ...
    Last edited by Scott; August 22nd, 2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Language work around - Scott

Reminds me that as my folks are getting older, they're getting more observant about what's going on around them in the neighborhood. (When the neighbors leave/arrive home from work, what cars they drive, etc.).

They've discovered that the neighbor across the street keeps her house unlocked all day. Her nine-year-old daughter comes home from school and just walks right through the front door while parents are at work.

Sure, the neighborhood is 'safe' , but it also is isolated and there's been day-light break-ins a few short miles away where people would just walk in and rob given an unlocked door, open window, etc.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    As a Service Tech you wont believe the Crap people will tell you so they dont have to be home or that get mad when you tell them after knock on the door and the 10 year old answers the door and brings you the phone that no i cant enter your house stupid someone has to be over 18 duh

Ive been left notes with the garage door opener code and where the money is in the kitchen to pay me ...
    Same here, everything from where the key is, back door's never locked, and my favorite, yeah he's a big dog, but he don't bite.

I even had one guy leave me a blank check, not once but twice.

Some people have no clue about security and who to trust and who not to. I did A/C for about 6 years in Phoenix. I carried company identification, but was not asked for it even once.

Some people I really fear for.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

It is obvious to me from the above posts that most all are from an urban area. I did service work for a farm implement manufauture and usally was given full access to the shop or any other building on the farm. this was tempered with the knowledge that the owner of said farm had at least one rifle or shot gun in his possesion at all times.
    Where all men think alike few men think at all

Assistant Administrator
    I used to like to trust folks - that has changed somewhat!

I had a furnace service today - guy and his sidekick who I know well - but even so - I am here when someone comes to do any work - that's a given!

Me - suspicious? Me cynical? You betcha
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

dunndw, A funny thing.. I was reading your post, saw where you said it was 104 degrees, and immediately knew you were in Nashville, too

Hey buddy :-) yep....it's me

I've HAD clients in the past tell me to just "let yourself in" I used to try to talk them out of it...now I just say no. When they ask why I tell them I want a witness there that know that I didn't make the dishwasher overflow, the hot water heater stop working, etc. That gets their interest...because I'm a computer tech. Then I explain to them that I'm not comfortable in someone else's home without someone there.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Same with me. I just finished a phone system in a large private house.
    He told me were the key was. I was there an hour to install a phone on an office desk. On the desk was a lot of cash. So I just put the phone next to the wad of cash. He called me later that same day and I said to my self o boy the cash is gone. But no he just had a question about one of the buttons on the phone and what it did. He thanked me for the personal service. But I will not go into a house with a young child any more with no parents. I guess its the sign of the times. Even if there was a teenager espesily a girl I would ask how old she was and if under 18, I ll say have you parents call me when they get home.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Back in the old days (35 years ago) I had a summer job driving a truck for a laundry.

Quite a few of the regulars on the route would leave the door unlocked and money on a desk or table with instructions to let myself in to pick up or drop off and pay the tab with the money left out.

Another story is about house-hunting here about 20 years ago. The realtor was driving us around and noticed a house that wasn't on the list for that day and asked us if we wanted to see it. I said yes but asked if she had a key. She said "no, but I know these people and their doors are always unlocked."

I would bet this would not happen in this day and age.

My exterminator has a key to the house....

If you've been to Florida and seen the bugs, when we need the house sprayed, we NEED the house sprayed. (Also, with the size of some of the roaches, I'm barricading myself in the bedroom and calling for backup...)

Seriously the way I look at it, if somebody wants in when we are not home, there are easier ways in that unlocking the door. And if we are home...well that's what the castle doctrine (and deadbolts) are for.

Edited for grammer.

VIP Member
    It can be really tough on some folks when both adult members of the family have jobs that keep them from going home when workers are there. There's no good answer. Your job or your house / not much choice.

I have been fortunate to never have been in a situation where I had to let repair people into an unattended house. But, I can certainly understand why some folks must.

I also make a point of ALWAYS being home so my wife isn't alone with the repair folks. I know, it is probably O.K. when you are dealing with reputable repair services. But I'm really cautious about this.

There have been a few times the folks I've let in were "wise guys," and I just couldn't wait for them to finish their job and be gone. I wouldn't want my wife in that situation alone.

Links