The Genovese syndrome - or bystander effect.

This is a discussion on The Genovese syndrome - or bystander effect. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is the phenomenon of people standing around watching someone being attacked, raped, and/or killed. Apparently it happened here in St. Paul the other day. ...

Thread: The Genovese syndrome - or bystander effect.

The Genovese syndrome - or bystander effect.

This is the phenomenon of people standing around watching someone being attacked, raped, and/or killed. Apparently it happened here in St. Paul the other day.

"The larger the number of people who witness a crime, the less likely any one person is to jump in and assist, said Steve Prentice-Dunn, a psychology professor at the University of Alabama.

"It's mainly because when a number of people are looking, they don't feel as individually responsible for what's going on," he said. "That's the reason why there is not safety in numbers, in terms of the bystander effect."

"Another factor could be that people faced with emergencies don't think as carefully and logically as they normally would, Prentice-Dunn said.

People also tend to question themselves about whether they are "reading the situation correctly," he said.

"You don't want to be embarrassed by jumping in and doing something unnecessary," Prentice-Dunn said. "When onlookers are interviewed after something like this happens, it's amazing how often people say: 'I wasn't sure what was happening. I wasn't sure if this was a quarrel I shouldn't get involved with.' "

This is interesting as often I read on this and other forums how not to get involved because you are not always sure what exactly is going on. I don't know folks, I just can't see myself standing by and watching someone get beaten and raped and do nothing. What do you all think?

Now granted in this case you don't know all the things you know from the article but to not even call police and report this as an assault which slowed police response time seems pretty callous to me.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_6692553
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There is a distinct difference between watching an argument (or what appears to be one) and staying away from it and the actual commission of a major crime and doing nothing about it. And our responsibility is even bigger because we carry a concealed weapon which can either stop the major crime or create one if we read the situation badly and make things worse.
    I am willing to bet that our board LEOs have plenty of stories were they attended Domestic calls, saw a victim messed up and ended up being attacked by the victim when they arrested the significant other.
    I consider my moral duty to help somebody who is being attacked but it is my responsibility to properly determine y an attack is being committed and to a what degree is my involvement required and what is that type of involvement. I might have to use my gun or just have to use the cell phone with a good scream to the BG.
    If there is doubt (lack of actual physical violence) but a good chance it might develop, your best bet is 911 and remain around visible without injecting yourself in the middle.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

This is another of the "polarizing" issues.

The two groups are the "me and mine" camp and the "I'll not let this happen if I can stop it camp".

I think Chris has state this as well as can be in another thread.

You need to take this on a case by case basis.

Obviously, none of us want to stand by and watch someone get raped or murdered but we also can't charge in haphazardly.

Unfortunately, I don't think that it is possible to get all of the information you need to make a 100% correct decision.

What I would do is wait until I could gather enough information that I felt REASONABLY SURE what the situation was and act accordingly.

Everyone has to make their own decisions and be prepared to deal with the consequences.

My hope is that, for me, this never gets beyond the talk-about-it-on-a-forum stage.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I can't understand that. Maybe I have a hero complex or something but I couldn't ignore screams for help in the hallway of my apartment. I'm a former Hospital Corpsman and we were trained to rush into danger for our Marines, maybe that has something to do with it, but it turns my stomach to think of someone crying for help and nobody cares enough or is too scared to act.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

It always boils down to what is considered "reasonable" and what my "perception" is of the situation. If a guy was slapping a girl around and yelling at her it would be reasonable to call 911, not shoot the guy. If a guy was raping a girl in the hallway, beating her, and confronts me in a menacing manner when I intervene the gun comes out. If I am told afterward, "oh it was just a joke", too bad. That's not my perception of what was happening. I think I would be safe under those circumstances. I would think that the good Samaritan and defense of others rules would very defiantly come into play.

The sad part of all this is how people won't get involved even in a very distant way. Good grief, what have we become? More evidence that you need to rely on yourself not others or the authorities. I don't believe that the police did anything wrong, they just got very bad information which slowed their response time immensely.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    It always boils down to what is considered "reasonable" and what my "perception" is of the situation. If a guy was slapping a girl around and yelling at her it would be reasonable to call 911, not shoot the guy. If a guy was raping a girl in the hallway, beating her, and confronts me in a menacing manner when I intervene the gun comes out. If I am told afterward, "oh it was just a joke", too bad. That's not my perception of what was happening. I think I would be safe under those circumstances. I would think that the good Samaritan and defense of others rules would very defiantly come into play.

The sad part of all this is how people won't get involved even in a very distant way. Good grief, what have we become? More evidence that you need to rely on yourself not others or the authorities. I don't believe that the police did anything wrong, they just got very bad information which slowed their response time immensely.
    +1 count me in. if i see what is obviously a rape and a woman in need of serious help, I could never look in the mirror again if i cowerd away
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Links