Proposal would ban underwear-exposing pants

This is a discussion on Proposal would ban underwear-exposing pants within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm not genearlly for banning things but this doesn't sound too bad to me! Proposal would ban underwear-exposing pants By DAVID PENDERED The Atlanta Journal-Constitution ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proposal would ban underwear-exposing pants

Senior Moderator

I'm not genearlly for banning things but this doesn't sound too bad to me!

By DAVID PENDERED
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/22/07

Exposed boxer shorts and thongs would be illegal in any public place in Atlanta if the City Council approves a proposed amendment to the city's indecency laws.

The target is young men who wear their pants low off their hips to show off the two pairs of boxers they wear beneath their saggy pants, said Atlanta Councilman C.T. Martin, a college recruitment consultant who sponsored the ordinance. Saggy pants are an "epidemic" that are becoming a "major concern" in cities and states around the country, the ordinance reads.

"Little children see it and want to adopt it, thinking it's the in thing," Martin said Wednesday. "I don't want young people thinking that half-dressing is the way to go. I want them to think about their future."

Under the proposed ordinance, women also couldn't reveal the strap of a thong beneath their pants. Nor could they wear jogging bras in public or show off even a wisp of a bra strap, said Debbie Seagraves, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia.

The proposed ordinance states that "the indecent exposure of his or her undergarments" would be unlawful in a public place. It would go in the same portion of the city code that outlaws sex in public and the exposure or fondling of genitals and the breast of a woman. Martin said the penalty would be a fine in an amount to be determined.

Seagraves said any legislation that creates a dress code would not survive a court challenge. She said there's no way the law could be enforced in a nondiscriminatory way. She said it targets a cultural phenomenon that came out of the black youth culture.

"This is a racial profiling bill that promotes and establishes a framework for an additional type of racial profiling," Seagraves said.

Several cities have considered banning saggy pants but only one is known to have adopted a measure, Seagraves said. Delcambre, La., is the only city she knows of that passed such an ordinance. It carries a fine of up to $500 or six months in jail for exposing underwear in public, according to a description of it in Martin's proposed ordinance.

Makeda Johnson, an Atlanta mother of a 14-year-old daughter, said she's glad Martin introduced the proposal. She doesn't want to see a law against attire, but said she thinks teens are sending a message with a way of dressing that's based in jailhouse behavior.

Johnson said she understands the phenomenon of saggy pants started when prisoners' belts were taken off and the prisoners' pants drooped down. Once teens who'd been arrested were back on the street, they wore saggy pants to show the loss of a belt does not mean a loss of personal power. Other teens followed suit to show support, she said.

"Do I want them arrested for that? No. Do I want them harassed? No," she said. "But I salute [Martin] for having the courage to say we need to do something. Finally we've gone beyond saying, 'Pull up your pants,' to saying we need to bring a focus on the message our young people are sending."

Martin, who is African-American, said he intends to convene public hearings and vet the proposal through churches, civil rights groups and neighborhood organizations. The proposal will get its first public airing Aug. 28 in the City Council's Public Safety Committee.

"The purpose of the paper is to generate some conversation to see if we can find a solution," Martin said. "It will be like all the discussions we've had around the value of the hip-hop culture. We know there are First Amendment issues ... and some will say I'm just trying to put young black men in jail, but it's going to be fines."

Saramaat Johnson, the daughter of Makeda Johnson, said she thinks the whole question of exposing underwear as a fashion statement is a matter of taste. Sometimes it's good; sometimes it's not.

"It's something that can be done nicely, but other people can take it to the extreme and get ridiculous with it. And a lot of people are doing it."
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I get a chuckle watching them try to run away from the PoPo while holding up their pants. I say let them wear their pants that way.
    -Biker

This is a racial profiling bill
    No, I see stupid white boys doing it too.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I have never been able to figure out just how that mode of dress became a fad.

When I was a teen, the only ones wearing pants like that would have ridden the short bus if we had 'em back then.

If this bill passes, it will make things harder for the police. Afterall, it is much easier catching a perp when his pants are down around his ankles.

Having said that, however, I don't like seeing more and more and more regulations every time we turn around.

The only reason I would entertain this bill is that the ACLU is against it and I can't stand being on the same side of an argument as the ACLU.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

The wearing of your pants so low to expose your underwear I can see, but a bra strap or the top of underwear. What if a female is wearing a waist length shirt and bends down and you can only see a little bit of underwear (quite common). This will be a pick and choose law if it goes on the books and can only see problems.

A good looking young lady will probably not get a ticket, but an average housewife might.

It should be written as if you can jump up and down 5 times and your pants don't fall off you are legal, but if you drop trowel then you get a ticket.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    I get a chuckle watching them try to run away from the PoPo while holding up their pants. I say let them wear their pants that way.
    Most cops I know love it. I have heard of guys running out of thier pants, leaving thier wallet and keys behind.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Put it this way. They are easier for the cops to catch and you know the are not carrying IWB. I have seen whiteboys do this too.

Senior Moderator
    I don't see how this fashion can be seen as racial. I see a lot of kids black, white, asian, hispainic, wearing their pants this way.

I've always wondered how that came to be "cool"
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I don't see this as a White/Black issue. Now the ACLU will say otherwise. It is common sense.

I ran thought McDonalds the other day and when I handed my money to they guy at the window his pants were like this. Come on, companies have a dress code, but if you try to enforce it, it is labeled as being racist. The company can tell the white guy that there is a dress code and if they don't follow it then they will be terminated. Complete BS..
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I hate it everytime another city pops up wanting to do something like this. I think about every other plumber out there hates it too. Irregardless of the laws intended target, it has to be written in a broad way that effects everyone.

My better suggestion is that people need to start becomming responsible parents. I always like the idea of the parents having to pay for the crime their teens commit right alongside the teens.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I know that we have all heard the story that the dress style in question originated in prison where the inmates were denied belts which could be used as weapons. But one of our local TV stations aired a segment that went into further detail. It seems that in some prisons the wearing of one's pants low with exposed underwear is also a signal that one is "available" for sexual activity. It appeared to the reporter that those who dressed that way were mostly of slight build, and were signaling their desire to be submissive. I doubt the average guy on the street who dresses this way is aware of this aspect of his fashion statement.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

A company's dress code is one thing, where the company's day-to-day business and reputation is on the line. I'm all for allowing companies to place restrictions on how its agents and employees present its image to its customers.

But, public limitation on dress seems to me a farcical attempt at best, a slippery-slope limitation on liberty at worst. It's hardly racial in nature, as you see it everywhere from the runways to the slutty "reality" shows, from Main Street to Park Avenue. Everyone's doing it.

Public engagement of sexual acts is one thing, but wearing suggestive clothing isn't the same thing. Gang dress is one thing, though hardly a threat, but it's hard to say that the same dress on a non-gang youth is a threat.

This sort of fad is self-correcting in nature. Such people will get shunned during retail purchases, if it goes "too far" (whatever that is). Such folks will get shunned at interviews for employment with certain companies desiring to avoid the impression such a look promotes.

But if communities are allowed to legally restrict a look, one has to ask: where does it stop, and where might it (the legal limitation) go if left to its own devices? Nowhere good, IMO. The Statute of Liberty, the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence all speak of liberty, not restriction. I think it should remain that way, lest we end up like so many unforutunates around the world.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

the responsibility lies in the hands of the parents. don't buy this crap for your kids. i can't see banning a bra strap or a jogging bra as a good fix for this. besides what about bikinis are they going to ban bikinis? i can't accept a ban as an effective problem solver any more than a gun ban would be.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Quote Originally Posted by xd.40sub View Post
    the responsibility lies in the hands of the parents.
    That presumes that there are responsible parents in the teenager's life.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    That presumes that there are responsible parents in the teenager's life.

I am afarid that this is the case. Parents are not responible for their children.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links