Luke Afb

This is a discussion on Luke Afb within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Subject: Luke AFB, Arizona > > Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization > that complains about the noise ...

Thread: Luke Afb

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Luke Afb

Subject: Luke AFB, Arizona
    >
    > Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization
    > that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that
    > it was there long before they were. A certain Lieutenant Colonel at Luke AFB
    > deserves a big pat on the back.
    >
    > Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local
    > paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the
    > mall. When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, I hope
    > it stung quite a bit.
    >
    >
    >
    > The complaint:
    >
    > "Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the
    > morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation
    > of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall , continuing west over
    > Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom
    > Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to
    > impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special? Any response would be
    > appreciated."
    >
    >
    >
    > The response:
    >
    > Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters, Thursday): On June 15,
    > at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship flyby of F-16s from the
    > 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt.
    > Jeremy Fresques. Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously
    > stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial
    > Day. At 9 a.m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland
    > Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend.
    > Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, a nd because of the jet
    > noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or
    > my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their
    > son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those
    > veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have
    > endured. A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to
    > those who give their lives in defense of freedom.
    >
    > We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15
    > what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their
    > ultimate respects. The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning
    > air show?" The 56th Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks
    > to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it
    > was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formati on of their
    > lives.
    >
    >
    >
    > Lt. Col. Scott Pleus
    >
    > CO 63rd Fighter Squadron
    >
    > Luke AFB
    >
    > Catherine Long
    >
    > Airfield Manager
    >
    > COM (210) 925-5880
    >
    > DSN 945-5880
    >
    > FAX 925-5785
    >
    > "If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation
    > gone under."
    ďAre you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the roomĒ?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Subject: Luke AFB, Arizona
    >
    > Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization
    > that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that
    > it was there long before they were. A certain Lieutenant Colonel at Luke AFB
    > deserves a big pat on the back.
    >
    > Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local
    > paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the
    > mall. When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, I hope
    > it stung quite a bit.
    >
    >
    >
    > The complaint:
    >
    > "Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the
    > morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation
    > of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall , continuing west over
    > Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom
    > Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to
    > impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special? Any response would be
    > appreciated."
    >
    >
    >
    > The response:
    >
    > Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters, Thursday): On June 15,
    > at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship flyby of F-16s from the
    > 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt.
    > Jeremy Fresques. Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously
    > stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial
    > Day. At 9 a.m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland
    > Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend.
    > Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, a nd because of the jet
    > noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or
    > my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their
    > son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those
    > veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have
    > endured. A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to
    > those who give their lives in defense of freedom.
    >
    > We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15
    > what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their
    > ultimate respects. The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning
    > air show?" The 56th Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks
    > to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it
    > was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formati on of their
    > lives.
    >
    >
    >
    > Lt. Col. Scott Pleus
    >
    > CO 63rd Fighter Squadron
    >
    > Luke AFB
    >
    > Catherine Long
    >
    > Airfield Manager
    >
    > COM (210) 925-5880
    >
    > DSN 945-5880
    >
    > FAX 925-5785
    >
    > "If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation
    > gone under."
    Do you think she got the point? Knowing the general public, probably not. However, that seems to be the attitude these days. "how was I inconvenienced" regardless of the validity of the action.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Lt. Col. Scott Pleus would be promoted to Fullbird for that letter alone, if I had my way.

He is standing up for his troops even after death. I wish all of our military officers had his guts and honor.

NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

VIP Member
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

According to Snopes it is all true and the complainer even apologized
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

This was posted a couple of days after the Lt Col wrote his response to the letter. I bet this guy feels like a real moron, as he should.

-----------------------------------------------------
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

Regarding "Flyby honoring fallen comrade" (Letters, June 28):

I read with increasing embarrassment and humility the response to my unfortunate letter to The Republic concerning an Air Force flyby ("A wake-up call from Luke's jets," Letters, June 23).

I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.

I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized for any discomfort my letter has caused.

This was simply an uninformed citizen complaining about noise.

I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman and woman in this war in which we are engaged.

I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are doing.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Tom MacRae, Peoria
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Miggy, you beat me too it.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor

I know I had a copy of it somewhere, but our (then) base commander Brig Gen Rand also wrote in to the local papers. I really never liked Rand a FW CC, but that incident changed my mind about him.

I don't think that Lt. Col. Pleus has been promoted yet, but he was the best fighter squadron commander we've ever had. No matter what he always had time for us.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Links