Building A List....need Input

This is a discussion on Building A List....need Input within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Okay, back at work and a strategic error was made. THEY gave me 11th grade American History in addition to AP American Government, Psychology and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building A List....need Input

Exclamation Building A List....need Input

Okay, back at work and a strategic error was made. THEY gave me 11th grade American History in addition to AP American Government, Psychology and Economics. It's been a long time since I taught American History. My only problem with the subject is that each year it get's LONGER and therefore more difficult to cover. To the point: Movies suitable to keep their attention (11th grade) BUT must be strongly grounded in fact. Unlike some of the science teachers I refuse to show TOP GUN to demonstrate the principles of aerodynamics. Some ground rules:

1. No nudity or sex unless it's implied and not shown (Think the end of The Green Berets with John Wayne).

2. No "R" ratings. This is a deal breaker specifically banned by the District although there are a couple of notable exceptions also specifically granted by the District such as Schindlers List and Saving Private Ryan.

Finally, I've already GOT WWII covered. Nothing on this era is required. Sorry. I know this is the easiest and possibly the most fun.

So start at the American Revolution and keeping in mind the ground rules, gimme a list that covers up to the current times...which is TODAY.

Please give me the title, major stars, rating and the era covered.

Have at it folks.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Here's my short list......I do not specifically remember if there was sex or nudity involved though.

Gettysburg (civil war)
    Gods and Generals(civil war)

and the other two that came immediately to mind (but instantly got shot down due to rating) were :We Were Soldiers, and Blackhawk Down
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    So start at the American Revolution and keeping in mind the ground rules, gimme a list that covers up to the current times...which is TODAY.
    "The Patriot," with Mel Gibson covers the American Revolution.

"A Night to Remember" is a great British movie covering the Titanic in accurate detail.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Rated R (the only reason I know is I thought the same thing and just checked it)
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

VIP Member
    So you need American Revolution, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Persian Gulf, Somalia with no R rating and HAVE TO be movies. Plus heavy on true historical facts? Doozy to do!

My first thought would be to search for a distributor of Edited for Airlines Movies. They usually edit the gory & sex stuff for showing R Rated Movies in airplanes.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    From World Airline Enterteinment Association:

I like the “family-friendly” edited version of the movie I saw inflight. Can I get a hold of this airline version? Because of special licensing arrangements between the film studio/distributor and the film producer/director, the “airline-edited” version of the film typically cannot be made available for rental/purchase to the general public. If, however, you wish to inquire, you should contact the Home Video Division of the particular film studio/distributor for the film in which you're interested. (Please note that the airline that exhibited the film does not own the film and cannot provide copies of the airline-edited version.)
    and WWI?? Sergeant York comes to mind
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I'm not sure what you are using the movies for, but most RevWar historians and reenactors look at "The Patriot" as a laugh-fest.

Sadly most movies about both the RevWar and the F&I war are grossly inaccurate, but in some cases very entertaining (sometimes for the wrong reason).
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Glory ( civil war)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097441/ All quiet on the western front ( WW1)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020629/ I will keep thinking but my boss (wife) is calling.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Some great ideas so far. Since the school is in the inner city you can be sure GLORY will be on the list. I also like SGT YORK. The movies are to illustrate some of the eras we'll be perusing. I'll probably use The Green Berets for Vietnam although I really like Platoon better, there is just no way they'll let me use it. Besides I can pick out every location in the John Wayne film since the entire thing was shot on Fort Benning except the beach scene at the end. You remember the opening scene where the new A-Team gets to the Ville? That LZ was near the intersection of Hourglass and Red Diamond roads on the reservation. If you look carefully you can see the very edge of the unsurfaced road in one shot.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

You could show them Forrest Gump and pause to discuss the different historical events. You might get a full week out of one movie.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Apollo Thirteen - Tom Hanks, Gary Sinise. PG.

Thirteen Days - Kevin Costner. PG-13. Cuban missile crisis 1962.

All the President's Men - Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford. PG. Watergate Scandal.

The Best Years of Our Lives - Myrna Loy, Frederic March, Dana Andrews. G. Directly after WWII, vets have trouble adjusting to 'normal' life.

"The American Revolution" by The History Channel. Excellent and well done documentary with eight hour "episodes".

Here is an overview taken from http://www.amazon.com/American-Revol.../dp/1582098859

Product Description
    Features the voices of Emmy Award-winner Kelsey Grammer (Frasier) and Michael Learned (The Waltons). Over eight hours of top-notch documentary programming on five DVDs. The most comprehensive documentary overview of the War of Independence available on DVD. Revisit the birth of a nation in this definitive look at America's fight for independence and rise to glory. THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION features 10 powerful documentaries totaling over 8 hours of essential programming available together for the first time. From the Declaration of Independence to the Treaty of Paris, these are the stories and events surrounding the remarkable achievements of heroic individuals seized by the epic forces of history. Hear the words of Founding Fathers and other key figures read by actors like as Kelsey Grammer (Frasier) and Michael Learned (The Waltons), while thrilling re-enactments of great battles, compelling period images, rare archival material and commentary by leading historians brings the past vividly alive. Between Bunker Hill and Yorktown to Ben Franklin's masterful diplomacy and Benedict Arnold's deceit and tragedy, THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION presents a sweeping canvas of history.

1943 - 2009
    Here's two from World War One.

Gallipoli

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082432/

Lawrence of Arabia

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056172/

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

http://www.secondamendmentdocumentary.com/

Hidalgo
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317648/

The Untouchables
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094226/

Flyboys
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454824/

Disclaimer. As for the mainstream movies I can't vouch for the historical accuracy, and I'm pretty sure you would need the airline version. All I know is these kept me entertained.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Son Of The Morning Star is about Custer and the Little Big Horn follow, with a fair amount of perspective from the viewpoint of the native Americans the forces were going after. Sort of a Howard Zinn approach to the events surrounding Custer. PG-13.

1776, from the Broadway play. It's a musical, so perhaps kids 16-17yrs of age won't find it quite so entertaining, but it's a decent treatment of the thought that went into the Declaration Of Independence and the risks folks had to contend with, at that time. PG. Or, for something a bit more formal, The Founding Fathers.

Fat Man & Little Boy, about the "Manhattan" project of developing the first atom bombs, viewed from the perspective of the development teams in Los Alamos. Yes, it's during WWII, but it's much more about the development project and the ramifications of walking down the road to nuclear warfare. Has got Paul Newman, John Cusack, Bonnie Bedelia and other fine actors. PG-13.

Nightbreaker. Might be popular with the kids, with Emilio Estevez, Lea Thompson and Martin Sheen. A story about the nuclear weapons testing through the early 1950's, as viewed from some of the young researchers and a platoon of army grunts who were effectively used as live subjects. Unrated.

The Fog Of War, about lessons learned and the geopolitical impacts of modern warfare, as told through interviews of Robert McNamara. Lively and entertaining, despite the dark material covered. Leaves you thinking about the sanity and moral implications. PG-13.

Chaplin's The Great Dictator. A satirical view of the threat posed by Hitler ,and fascism. Plus, of course, it's a little slice of American History in itself, being a Chaplin film. Perhaps suitable for one of the "lighter" days. G.

The Presidents. A decent treatment of the highs and lows of the office of the president, over a 200yr period.

The Stock Market Crash Of 1987, from ABC News. An hour presentation reviewing the events, particularly in comparison to the great crash of '29.

And The Band Played On, covering the early days of the AIDS epidemic, from the viewpoint of the researchers involved. With Matthew Modine and many other contemporary actors. Very well done, as it's a reasonably-academic treatment while still being a good dramatic film. PG-13. Or, for a more-formal treatment of a similar topic, Influenza: 1918.

Tuskegee Airmen, covering the challenges faced by black pilots looking to serve their country during WWII. Larry Fishburne, Cuba Gooding Jr., Andre Braugher, Courtney Vance, John Lithgow and others. PG13. Though, you've got WWII covered.

Ellis Island, covering what it was like to be an immigrant to the USA around the turn of the century.

Assembly Line, covering the "invention" of the techniques that would shape Ford Motors and many other manufacturing firms around the world.

Nova's Trillion Dollar Bet, about the rise and collapse of the firm Long Term Capital Management, whichin the 1990's nearly crashed the world's economy with its "new math" method of betting the markets. An interesting look at how badly "expert" traders can screw up, which is a decent lesson for everyone. Unrated.

The Prize, about petroleum's impact on the world, from the 1850's to present. Exceptional view of the economic, poltical and social impacts, but a long treatment. A bit heavy, but I think a good group of kids would get a lot out of it. You could hang an entire week's worth of discussions off this one, for all the impact petroleum has had over the past 150 yrs. Unrated.

Maya Lin - A Strong, Clear Vision, about the design and building of the Vietnam Memorial.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links