Hollywood strikes again

This is a discussion on Hollywood strikes again within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just finished watching "Lord Of War" with Nicholas Cage. It is about an arms dealer selling guns around the world. The entire time I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood strikes again

Hollywood strikes again

I just finished watching "Lord Of War" with Nicholas Cage. It is about an arms dealer selling guns around the world. The entire time I was watching, my stomach started to turn. I probably should have expected what I got, but this struck me as one of the most anti-gun movies I have ever seen. The entire movie is spent demonizing arms dealers, but parallel to that push is a demonizing of the guns themselves. Now don't get me wrong, I am NOT advocating for the illegal arms trade. it's just that in this movie, that seemed to be synonymous with guns in general. One line in the movie just jumped out to me when the wife is talking to the arms dealer and says, "I don't care if it's legal......it's wrong" This seemed to be the general theme of the entire movie, but then again, what should I have expected out of hollywood?
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the heads-up Kelly. I'll be skipping that one.

Seen it. And I agree with Kelly.....very anti gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    well, they sure don't put a pro-gun perspective on anything, but I still thought it was a decent movie, and worth seeing. I have a pretty thick hide about anti-gun insinuations, though. They're everywhere, so I just expect it.

Not All Hollywood Celebs Are Anti's...

Haven't seen that movie, but plenty of others spew their hidden agenda's...
    But when you say, "What can you expect out of Hollywood?"...here is a list of pro-gun actor/high profile individuals I found...interesting list!

http://www.proguncelebrities.com

The List:
    Men;

Beck, Glenn
    Blake, Robert
    Burroughs, William S.
    Cain, Dean
    Carey, Drew
    Clancy, Tom
    Cobain, Kurt
    Conrad, Robert
    Di Santi, John
    Doyle, Jerry
    Drier, Fred
    Earnhart jr., Dale
    Estrada, Eric
    Geller, Sara Michelle
    Gibson, Mel
    Gordon Liddy, G.
    Grover, Robert
    Hannity, Sean
    Heston, Charlton
    Hetfield, James
    Imus, Don
    Jackson, Bo
    Johnson, Don
    Jones, Chipper
    Limbaugh, Rush
    Malone, Karl
    Mashak, Benjamin
    Mathers, Jerry
    McRainey, Gerald
    Millius, John
    Morley, Nathan
    Muller, Mancow
    Nugent, Ted
    Osbourne, Ozzy
    Parker, Jameson
    Popper, John
    Rock, Kid
    Russell, Kurt
    Ryan, Nolan
    S. Burroughs, William
    Savage, Michael
    Schroeder, Rick
    Seagal, Steven
    Selleck, Tom
    Stack, robert
    Stein, Ben
    Stern, Howard
    Swchanegger, Aronld
    Timm, Chip
    Torme, Mel
    Tyler, Steve
    Wayne, John
    Williams Jr., Hank
    Willis, Bruce
    Yankovic, Wierd Al
    Yockey, Jerrett

Women;

Burke, Delta
    Coulter, Ann
    Davis, Geena
    Derek, Bo
    Dhue, Laurie
    Easterbrook, Leslie
    Geller, Sara Michelle
    Gray, Erin
    Howard, Susan
    Ingraham, Laura
    Jovovich, Milla
    Lockhart, Anne
    Mandrell, Barbara
    Mandrell, Irlene
    Mandrell, Louise
    Parker, Andrea
    Parton, Dollie
    Prepon, Laura
    Ryan, Jeri
    Shepard, Cybil
    Shue, Elizabeth
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What I saw as the subliminal message in that movie is that there are unscrupulous arms dealers who live by the feud; they secure their business by arming one side, then the other to insure that strife and mayhem continue. they are just like any other peddler of illegal items. they are no different than the drug dealers that plague our society today. As far as being anti-gun, yes anyone can readily see that message. If you lived in Sierra Leone or Somalia you would feel the same way. But then again, those tribal squabbles had been going on long before the ubiquitous AK-47 arrived on the scene.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Another awful anti-gun movie I saw recently was a cartoon called "Iron Giant". Absolutely ridiculous. It had quotes like "gun bad....gun kill." If you want to raise your blood pressure, by all means, watch that one.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I understand that Angeline Jolie is pro-gun also.

thanks for the heads up on that flick,,,wont be watching it,,

To tell the truth, I loved it. Yes, anti-gun, anti-war, anti-imperialist, with a good bit of anti-American thrown in for fun. Yes, the film balms arms dealers and their arms for the strife in many 3rd world nations.

But... I did love the intro on the AK-47...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtN8p9c7Zvk

And you have got to admit the "Life of a Bullet" segment was outstanding...
    Would have been much better if the bullet would have been used against a warlord with a Bolo knife about to decapitate a pregnant woman, instead of a child warrior with a confused look on his face... but well, the segment was there to set the tone for the rest of the movie, and that tone was not that guns can be used for good.

Still I thiught it was great...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4jMzKxYB74

Rest of the movie is crap...

Robert Blake.... Duh... that was a no brainer...

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I watched that video. Did you notice how many times the "bullet" was aimed at the shooter's comrades? Talk about no muzzle discipline!

And I was looking at that list. There certainly are some names there that we don't benefit from having "on our side":

- Robert Blake (who everyone understands murdered his wife and walked because of inept prosecution)
    - William S. Burroughs (who shot and killed his common-law wife in Mexico during a drunken game of "William Tell")
    - G. Gordon Liddy (a convicted felon, yes? corrupt politico from the Nixon era?)
    - Kid Rock (not a paragon of virtue)
    - Kurt Cobain (for cripe's sake, he blew his own frickin' head off with a shotgun!!)

With friends like these...

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    To tell the truth, I loved it. Yes, anti-gun, anti-war, anti-imperialist, with a good bit of anti-American thrown in for fun. Yes, the film balms arms dealers and their arms for the strife in many 3rd world nations.

But... I did love the intro on the AK-47...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtN8p9c7Zvk

And you have got to admit the "Life of a Bullet" segment was outstanding...
    Would have been much better if the bullet would have been used against a warlord with a Bolo knife about to decapitate a pregnant woman, instead of a child warrior with a confused look on his face... but well, the segment was there to set the tone for the rest of the movie, and that tone was not that guns can be used for good.

Still I thiught it was great...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4jMzKxYB74

Rest of the movie is crap...
    I agree...I really liked the AK intro as well...I thought the movie was pretty good actually.

EW3
    Speaking of Hollywood, has anyone seen any of the fall movie previews? They seem to be very gun/vigilante oriented...

Fall movies preview: It's the fall of the gunslinger in theaters

By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
    Ah, autumn. The nights turn cool, the kids return to school, and a sense of tranquility finally returns to the air.
    Unless, of course, you go to movies. Then Hollywood wreaks havoc with your calendar.
    Take this summer: Instead of the steady diet of bombast, studios executives peppered the calendar with fall-like films including a few downright wintry movies the honchos are convinced will be Oscar bait. So it should come as no surprise that this fall, Hollywood loves things that go bang.
    Over the next couple of months, we'll see the return of the Western, violent video-game adaptations and some vigilante justice.
    Lately, Clive Owen has been finding himself with a gun in one hand and a baby in the other.
    "I've either been fighting mankind or saving a child," says Owen, who did plenty of both in next month's Shoot 'Em Up and last year's Children of Men.
    "I'm not sure why," he says, "but I'm turning into some kind of action guy. I'm doing a lot of running around and dodging bullets."
    A lot of other film characters are also either firing bullets or trying their best to avoid them this fall.
    "People love to proclaim certain genres are dead," says Peter Fonda, who is up next in 3:10 to Yuma. "But nothing dies. Good movies are good movies. And let me tell you, if you make a good Western, people will be proud to say they're part of one."
    Well, not everyone. "I hesitate to even call this a Western," Brad Pitt says of his movie The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, in which he plays the country's most famous gunslinger. "This is a psychological dissection of people at this time in history."
    For those stars who do see their films as trigger happy, there's more to the gun than meets the eye.
    "I think everyone has a dark side," says Jodie Foster, who stars in The Brave One. "And when you choose to pick up a weapon, you're exploring it. Good movies do that."
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

"I think everyone has a dark side," says Jodie Foster, who stars in The Brave One. "And when you choose to pick up a weapon, you're exploring it. Good movies do that."
    Now I feel ill...
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links