Any Private Security Contractors here?

This is a discussion on Any Private Security Contractors here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am interested in entering the Private Security Contractor field, possibly for Blackwater or Triple Canopy, maybe a few other companies I have been reading ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Private Security Contractors here?

Any Private Security Contractors here?

I am interested in entering the Private Security Contractor field, possibly for Blackwater or Triple Canopy, maybe a few other companies I have been reading up on.

I am interested to know if anyone here on the board is in this field.

For those who do not know, this is not being a Rent-A-Cop I'm talking about here. Private Security Contractors provide security for VIP's, installations and other applications in places like Iraq, Afghanistan and other places around the globe. They make good money and work in very dangerous situations but it is something that appeals to me.

I have spoken with a couple of men who have done this for a living and am interested in hearing from more if I can find some.

So, anyone on here done this job? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the best ways to break into this field.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

What's your background? Most of the guys I have met have had past military/LE experience.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    The vast majority of the high-end guys are former members of the special warfare community. The US Army was offering hundreds of thousands of dollars to Green Beret NCOs on indefinite reenlistment if they promised not to retire/ apply for discharge for just a few years... an E7 with 20 years could get $100,000 for agreeing to stay on 2 more years. They are all leaving and going to work for Blackwater and similar outfits.

If you want in you'll have to compete with those guys, and anyone who wears a green beret is a SERIOUSLY hard dude. Same with a SEAL, USAF SpecWar, USMC Force Recon or any of those guys... they all attend the same pipeline schools, they all work together and they are ALL seriously hard.

Airborne and Ranger schools with a few deployments in batt MIGHT get you in, but if you're coming off the street I doubt they'll be interested. If you go that route make sure you get assigned in batt, otherwise you're a leg with a tab.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    What's your background? Most of the guys I have met have had past military/LE experience.
    US Navy Vet, Persian Gulf War Vet, with combat. I went through the training and was assigned as a base police officer, while on board my last ship I went through the Nuclear Arms Security Force school and was assigned as part of the Nuclear Arms Security Force detail for the ship and the base. That was not an easy school. Very weapons intensive, very much oriented towards anti terrorist tactics and re-taking the ship from intruders. Some hostage rescue training.

I was not special forces and I know that would count against me but, I am not shooting for the high end of the field. I just want to get my foot in the door, work my way up.

I also have some Law Enforcement experience as a civilian. Actually have been working on getting back into that as a reserve now that I have gotten in much better shape.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Specil Forces training, is almost a required prerequsite any more, But
    He who dares wins!, So good luck, and let us know how it goes.Great pay, but crappy job conditions.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    One of the best training facilities in the US, Tactical Response, is located in Camden, TN, about halfway between Memphis and Nashville. They train a LOT of contractors. They offer numerous training courses geared specifially toward PSD contractors and most of the Instructors have experience as Contractors overseas. I highly recommend you check out their website (tacticalresponse.com). The owner/operators also offers a very informative video about what is really required to break into the business. You also might want to check out their online forum (http://getoffthex.com/groupee/forums) which has a section that deal specifically with Security Contracting. It includes several long-running threads about how to break into the business. I think you will find this to be a real eye opener about who you are competing against and where the state of the industry is right now.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Looking at their site, it looks like they area also wanting security clearances in place.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    One of the best training facilities in the US, Tactical Response, is located in Camden, TN, about halfway between Memphis and Nashville. They train a LOT of contractors. They offer numerous training courses geared specifially toward PSD contractors and most of the Instructors have experience as Contractors overseas. I highly recommend you check out their website (tacticalresponse.com). The owner/operators also offers a very informative video about what is really required to break into the business. You also might want to check out their online forum (http://getoffthex.com/groupee/forums) which has a section that deal specifically with Security Contracting. It includes several long-running threads about how to break into the business. I think you will find this to be a real eye opener about who you are competing against and where the state of the industry is right now.
    Gonzo
    Yep +1

I'm not a contractor but I've been following the community like the chair commando I am..

You can't just spend a few thousand bucks on the courses these schools run and apply for a position, the courses are intended for guys who have already been there, done that.

The only contractors who take unexperienced ex-military or just plain wannabees are the third country ran jobbies you really should be staying away from. No equipment support, no support at all - you get thrown an AK and a shoddy pickup truck with no armor and crumby comms.

This is a VERY GOOD forum for contacts and questions, lots of people who actually know what they're talking about unlike me Just make sure you fill out your profile and introduce yourself properly before barging in.

http://lightfighter.net/6/ubb.x

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    +1 on Joffe's comments. Another good forum to check. Without some VERY SPECIFIC military experience, you had better expect to go in on the very lowest rung. In other words, static security. Some companies might bring you on for convoy duty. The guys who know what they are talking about (and I don't, for one second, include myself in that category) will tell you to be very, very careful what companies you go to work for. And make absolutely, positively sure you know what you are getting yourself into. Again, I'm not a contractor, but I have a couple of buddies who are and they both got in during the big hiring pushes right after the war started. They will be the first to tell you that hiring has slowed immensely and the good companies are being very selective in who they hire these days.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    My Agency employs most of the contractors in Iraq, and I've worked with them fairly extensively in Afghanistan and Iraq. I can give you the following advice:

Don't think that you need SF experience to get in. In 2002, maybe; now, no way. Any 4 year infantry or MP (or regular LEO, in many cases) that can get TS clearance can get a job, more or less. To be a team leader, or to get a specialized position, you might still need BUD/S, SFAS, or something similar in your past, but not for a standard window-licker position. Your background should be plenty to get you in the door.

BW and Triple Canopy have the best reps right now. BW was considered the cream of the crop, but the shine is fading a bit as their standards decline - the natural reaction to having to provide more and more bodies. There are other companies out there worth looking at, I'm sure you can find them with a little looking.

Do you want to work under a Government contract, or for a private company? The private companies require even less out of their contractors then the USG does, in most cases. If being paid (indirectly) by Uncle Sugar doesn't matter to you, you have lots of other options. A good friend of mine is on his third year in A-stan on a non-USG contract, I can put you in touch with him if you'd like.

The money is good, and (if you work for the Guv'ment, at least) the standard of living isn't too shabby in most cases, but be advised that it is blood money. The convoy and VIP security guys get hit a lot. Expect to be hit by more than one IED in your tour. Expect to be engaged by direct fire. Accept that this is real, dangerous work.

PM me if you have any more questions - I don't have all the answers but I may be able to direct you to some folks who know more (and have more up to date info) then I do. Good luck!
    Last edited by OPFOR; August 28th, 2007 at 08:44 AM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I knew a guy who was a mercenary. Luckily he got back alive. I thought about doing it, but my life is worth more than money.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    My Agency employs most of the contractors in Iraq, and I've worked with them fairly extensively in Afghanistan and Iraq. I can give you the following advice:

Don't think that you need SF experience to get in. In 2002, maybe; now, no way. Any 4 year infantry or MP (or regular LEO, in many cases) that can get TS clearance can get a job, more or less. To be a team leader, or to get a specialized position, you might still need BUD/S, SFAS, or something similar in your past, but not for a standard window-licker position. Your background should be plenty to get you in the door.

BW and Triple Canopy have the best reps right now. BW was considered the cream of the crop, but the shine is fading a bit as their standards decline - the natural reaction to having to provide more and more bodies. There are other companies out there worth looking at, I'm sure you can find them with a little looking.

Do you want to work under a Government contract, or for a private company? The private companies require even less out of their contractors then the USG does, in most cases. If being paid (indirectly) by Uncle Sugar doesn't matter to you, you have lots of other options. A good friend of mine is on his third year in A-stan on a non-USG contract, I can put you in touch with him if you'd like.

The money is good, and (if you work for the Guv'ment, at least) the standard of living isn't too shabby in most cases, but be advised that it is blood money. The convoy and VIP security guys get hit a lot. Expect to be hit by more then one IED in your tour. Expect to be engaged by direct fire. Accept that this is real, dangerous work.

PM me if you have any more questions - I don't have all the answers but I may be able to direct you to some folks who know more (and have more up to date info) then I do. Good luck!
    Thanks OPFOR! PM sent!

And one thing I had not previously mentioned is that I held a Top Secret clearance while in the Navy (all 8 years, was a requirement for my job) went through the whole Federal background check with no problems. I would have no problems at all getting the TS clearance again. I have no criminal record at all. Just 2 tickets in my entire life, one in 1988 for speeding (45 in a 35) and one for a fender bender that was deemed to be my fault in 1990. (tapped a guy in the back end in bumper to bumper traffic, he had no break lights. Less than $500 damage)

Thanks for all the responses guys.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Wherever you guys end up going(or for some of you already arrived) ...stay safe and hold on to your butts(not collectively please ).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I knew a guy who was a mercenary. Luckily he got back alive. I thought about doing it, but my life is worth more than money.

Austin
    Didn't Blackwater have mercs in NO after Katrina? What are your "choke points", people? I have a few personal ones and private mercs operating domestically and disarming the locals is one of mine.

If some Blackwater operator tries to stop you while egressing a natural disaster/terrorism scene are you going to "sheeple it" and go back home and/or surrender your weapons . . . or make like Fallujah?

I've gotta wonder where the loyalty lies with some PMCs. The constitution and the good people of the USA? Or, how many Ben Franklins you shove into your pocket when the SHTF?

Personally, I don't care if I grew up with the guy, his momma baked me cookies and his daddy was my scout leader . . . he pulls that Nawleans-style bovine excrement on me, I think I might have to make that good ole boy earn his lucrative pay.

"Who wants . . . to live . . . forever?" --Queen . . .
    Last edited by Gadfly; August 28th, 2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added quote mark
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links