It gets worse in England... See how well the handgun ban is working?

This is a discussion on It gets worse in England... See how well the handgun ban is working? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is an article about an 11-year-old boy who was shot dead in Liverpool. What's crazy is that they've made arrests but the accused murderers ...

Thread: It gets worse in England... See how well the handgun ban is working?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

It gets worse in England... See how well the handgun ban is working?

Here is an article about an 11-year-old boy who was shot dead in Liverpool.

What's crazy is that they've made arrests but the accused murderers seem to have been almost immediately freed on BAIL!

British police have released the six teenagers they were questioning over the fatal shooting of an 11-year-old boy in Liverpool last week.

The four boys and two girls (?!!), all aged between 15 and 19, were detained over the weekend in connection with the killing of Rhys Jones.

He was shot in the back of the neck by a teenager riding a BMX bicycle with a hood concealing his face.

Four of those who were in custody were released without charge this morning, while the other two were released on bail pending further inquiries.

Clearly what modern society is facing is a dire deterioration in moral character, that enables KIDS to become vile, wanton murderers. This is not about "access to guns." Access to guns (um, particularly in a country that has them BANNED) is stricter than it has ever historically been. You used to be able to buy them at the hardware store no-questions-asked; you could order them through the mail; you could bring them with you to school for sport shooting on the way home. You can't do ANY of that now; "access to guns" is more tightly restricted than it's ever been (but the media will sling the B.S. that "easy access to guns" is behind the gang killings and other thrill killings and such that are plaguing us more and more.

Something is wrong in the minds of the children these days. They are little psychopaths with stunted development; brought up with a me-first, I-want-it-right-now, I-don't-want-to-have-to-actually WORK-for-what-I-want mentality. Is it any wonder they have no consciences?

2. Remove Ads

But they're 'children'...they can't just keep them in jail...

The English Govermnent has fallen off the edge of the earth in their thinking... and the people have allowed it to happen!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Clearly what modern society is facing is a dire deterioration in moral character
    That is the problem. The libs think more laws will fix it.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Pure and simple: England gets what they deserve.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    We have to guard against "England" happening here, and one of the best ways is using the U.K. as an example
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    We have to guard against "England" happening here, and one of the best ways is using the U.K. as an example
    This is one reason that the internet and talk radio are so important.

The "mainstream" media will NOT air this kind of story.

It might make people think that guns and the right to defend themselves is a good thing. We can't have that, now can we?
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I agree on the internet and talk radio points. The only way we can save our country from sliding down that slippery slope is to make people aware of what guns really are and how they are used.

I just wish I had the money to run commercials during prime time. "This is a gun, this is a loaded gun, this is a loaded gun not jumping off the table and killing someone on it's own. Any Questions??????"
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    "This is a gun, this is a loaded gun, this is a loaded gun not jumping off the table and killing someone on it's own. Any Questions??????"
    I firmly believe that there are many people out there who would adamantly reject the idea of going to a a range and SAFELY firing guns. No amount of money could bribe them to be there because they truly believe that merely being in the presence of a gun will result in someone dying....and they don't want it to be them. It's sad that people can be so illogical. I am afraid to go to the hardware store. There are lawnmowers in there and I have heard reports of people getting their hands chopped off by lawnmower blades. Let's not bring up the fact that those people were being stupid and trying to reach underneath a running mower.......no, the mower started itself, chased the people and then jumped in the air and while the people tried to protect themselves with their arms and hands and they ended up getting chopped. Therefore we should ban lawnmowers.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

If they didn't have a gun, they would've used a knife. If they didn't have a knife, they would've used a club. If they didn't have a club, they would've used their bare hands. People kill people...inanimate objects just make it more efficient. The problem is people...I believe an armed society is a polite society.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

VIP Member
    The UK has gotten to where they are allowing the inmates to run the asylum.

Their intent now is to further restrict everybody's rights. There have been several stories admitting that gun bans don't work....but, they continue down that same path with knife bans, air gun bans & toy gun bans. Next on the agenda is dirty looks!

Ever heard of supply & demand?......This story: http://timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk...cle2317307.ece
    Weapons sell for just £50

..........talks about how cheap firearms are to buy on the black market. So the supply must be pretty high to get such cheap prices........I wish I could buy guns here for that little!

This is a quote from their Home Office on what they intend to do about gun crime:
    What we’re doing about gun crime
    Strengthening the law

We have:

* introduced a minimum five-year sentence for people convicted of possessing an illegal firearm
    * made it an offence to possess an air weapon or imitation firearm in public without legal authority or reasonable excuse
    * increased the age limit for possession of air rifles to 17
    * prohibited certain air weapons that are easily converted to fire live ammunition

The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 includes provisions to:

* target imitation firearms – by making it illegal to manufacture or sell imitation firearms that could be mistaken for real firearms, strengthening sentences for carrying imitation firearms, and creating tougher manufacturing standards so imitations can’t be converted to fire real ammunition
    * reduce illegal use of air weapons – by increasing the age limit for buying or firing air weapons without supervision

Targeting illegal firearm supplies

We’re cutting off the supply of firearms into the country by tightening security on import routes and international mail, and monitoring online firearm suppliers.

Tackling the rise in gun culture

We established the Connected (new window) programme to support local community groups in their fight against gun crime.

We also held a highly successful gun amnesty in 2003 which resulted in the handing in of 43,908 guns and 1,039,358 rounds of ammunition.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    We also held a highly successful gun amnesty in 2003 which resulted in the handing in of 43,908 guns and 1,039,358 rounds of ammunition.
    Great!! Think of all those guns ''off the streets'' - wow! Now, let's have a total of guns handed in by criminals?

What? - none handed in by them? What a surprise. Guess they were gonna always keep them huh!

We’re cutting off the supply of firearms into the country by tightening security on import routes and international mail, and monitoring online firearm suppliers.
    Well - don't think that will change the illegal guns already there too much - plus with the ingenuity of smugglers, there will still and always be a ready supply of guns to satisfy the crooks.

Whole thing is vote-catching and 'feelgood' - and otherwise useless.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If they had banned BMX bicycles, that kid may still be alive today!

VIP Member
    Here is another related article from the UK:

http://reason.com/blog/show/122163.html
    .....despite researchers finding "no link between high levels of gun crime and areas where there were still high levels of lawful gun possession." It's a law so severe that the Britain's Olympic shooting team is forced to train abroad, lest one of its members try to shoot up a grammar school. So how effective has the law been? A doubling in gun-related crimes since the ban, naturally. The London Times on the spate of gun crime in Merseyside:

"Senior police officers have been warning for several months that a growing number of teenagers in big cities are becoming involved in gun crime."

"The age of victims and suspects has fallen over the past three years as the availability of firearms in some cities has risen. Liverpool and Manchester are the cities where illegal guns are most readily available, with criminals claiming that some weapons are being smuggled from Ireland. Sawn-off shotguns are now being sold for as little as £50, and handguns for £150."

"Despite a ban on handguns introduced in 1997 after 16 children and their teacher were shot dead in the Dunblane massacre the previous year, their use in crimes has almost doubled to reach 4,671 in 2005-06. Official figures show that although Britain has some of the toughest anti-gun laws in the world, firearm use in crime has risen steadily. This year eight young people have been killed in gun attacks: six in London and one each in Manchester and Liverpool."
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Links