Credit card put on hold

Credit card put on hold

This is a discussion on Credit card put on hold within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have had this particular credit card for many years. I buy virtually everything on this card and pay it off every month. To my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Credit card put on hold

I have had this particular credit card for many years. I buy virtually everything on this card and pay it off every month.

To my surprise, my card was declined for a transaction. I called the bank and they went through the paces of address, birthday, mother's maiden name, to verify I was me. I asked what causes them to put cards on hold. She explained that certain things flag cards for greater scrutiny: excessive charges and charging from disparate locales in a short period of time.

The only changes I have made in my card usage are buying two guns, ammunition, holsters, and other tactical gear within a six week span. It appears that financial institutions are keeping track of more than dollars and cents...

Now that is interesting... Especially since I've been thinking of making a new gun purchase on one of my cards.

I've always paid cash or by check for all my guns in the past. This would be first time putting it on a card.

Now I'm wondering.....
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My guess it is more than that, my oldest daughter got flagged after buying a pair of shoes in a different city, she had never used the card any place else except in her local town, then the first time she went someplace else and tried to use it wham they shut it down.
    Mine gave me a panic call after a couple of INTERNET purchases for just a couple of bucks each, different reasons different causes to shut it down.
    Due to the high amount of fraud with CC and them getting stuck with the bill they are very cautious, and rightly so, my card has been compromised 3 times now in the last 5 years and was shut down and replaced each time.
    BTY I have used my CC many times to buy guns, reloading supplies, and ammo, last time was to buy a K of Wolfs, (visa) so you may want to check a little closer.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

They flagged mine and I had to call them from Lowes right after we built our house while we were buying the finishing touches. Kind of a hassel that night but I was glad they did it....just in case you know.....

FMC

Assistant Administrator
    Two guns and holster stuff and ammo - I am thinking quite a chunk of change.

I know they flag anything that seems outa character and just maybe the amount hit the button. It can be inconvenient but - OTOH it does seem to show they are trying to control stolen card use.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    My guess it is more than that, my oldest daughter got flagged after buying a pair of shoes in a different city, she had never used the card any place else except in her local town, then the first time she went someplace else and tried to use it wham they shut it down.
    Mine gave me a panic call after a couple of INTERNET purchases for just a couple of bucks each, different reasons different causes to shut it down.
    That is exactly why I posted. The ONLY difference in my usage was firearm related purchases. She would not tell why me why my card was specifically flagged. (I'm sure she didn't know) Perhaps it is simply a random audit and it was just my time, though I have a problem with coincidences concerning controversial topics.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Two guns and holster stuff and ammo - I am thinking quite a chunk of change.
    Well, it's not like a bought a couple of Les Baers!

My monthly charges went up but I have previously bought vacations that were far more expensive without incident.

I am beginning to believe it is just a random thing. I posted to see if any one else shared a similar experience and to alert others about the possibility that firearm purchases may be tracked. Maybe they never figured a mild mannered engineer would buy guns, therefore, certainly my card must have been stolen.

VIP Member
    Did you purchase all the items at once or at different times?

Another thing that flags them is gas pump authorizations. Now also small donations charged to your card. This is how thieves verify the card is still good. If you bought gas around the time you bought the guns that could have set off the fraud software.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    When I moved to Brasil, I called my CC company and explained my situation - told them to expect some unusual charges from Brasil and Brasilia specifically, and that it was OK, and so on. First charge, a dinner for 30 bucks in Brasilia - card declined and shut down. Go figure.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    We use our credit card on just about every purchase we make.......then we pay off the total balance each month, so we don't have any interest. But we get LOTS of skymiles

We've had the credit card fraud department call us several times, especially when it's shown a flurry of activity. The person (or computer) calling will be able to tell us which vendor purchase caused my recent buying history to raise a flag.

They don't care what I buy, they are calling to confirm that I have my card in my possession and that I'm aware of the recent purchases. Apparently their fraud detection software kicks out spikes in useage alerting them to call the card holder.

I'm always helpful and appreciative for them calling me, it's their way of fighting BG's themselves.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Did you purchase all the items at once or at different times?

Another thing that flags them is gas pump authorizations. Now also small donations charged to your card. This is how thieves verify the card is still good. If you bought gas around the time you bought the guns that could have set off the fraud software.
    The items were purchased at different times. I must buy a gun a month to get a free range pass.

I use my CC as money. I use it for gas, groceries, guns, and golf.

You think it was my donation to the forum?

When a card is run, does the CC company even know what is being purchased? I thought all that was sent was amount and location. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it. I have been contacted when I made a large purchase with one, or several close together. That's probably because it was so unusual, as I very rarely use plastic.

charge something for .99 or 1$ guess what happens?

I buy stuff from cabelas and local gunshop all the time when my wallet was stolen they asked me if i wanted to dispute any of the charges i said no she said even the one at cabelas for 500$ said nope that was mine ..

They dont care what you charge as long as you pay,... another one that will get it shut off is buy gas at one station just enough to make it to the cheaper gas station and they will put a hold on it .. has happened on my corporate gas card

My card has never caused me a problem...once I bought a car on my card (shocked the salesman), but it was covered...I did pay it off when the bill was posted (no interest paid)...
    When traveling, I have made note to my card company that I would be traveling (and to which states)...maybe that helps, I don't know.
    My card carrier has never been a problem for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ah.....the most embarrassing moment in my married life.........CitiBank called me for a "Fraud Alert" and asked me "blah blah blah"......

.....and then I asked them "What triggered this call?"

Citi's response was.......use of that card in a jewelry store is so rare...........my wife busted my chops for THAT!

I now use it regularly for said purpose (as well as guns...)

Ya'll gotta figure they track every purchase ya make........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links