A case of what NOT to do

This is a discussion on A case of what NOT to do within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; hope this is in the right spot for this. http://www.kjct8.com/global/story.asp?s=6993158 Airline passenger attempted to take firearm through security Grand Junction Regional Airport authorities got a ...

Thread: A case of what NOT to do

A case of what NOT to do

hope this is in the right spot for this.

http://www.kjct8.com/global/story.asp?s=6993158

Airline passenger attempted to take firearm through security
    Grand Junction Regional Airport authorities got a wake up call this morning, when a woman approached the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoint with a concealed firearm.

The woman was questioned by Grand Junction Police officers this morning after trying to get through security with a concealed 22-caliber handgun at about 7:30 a.m.

According to Grand Junction Police Dept. Spokesperson Linda Bowman, the woman said she did not intend to use the weapon against anyone, but she was intending to be a passenger and failed to check the gun with customer service.

We are told that she believed it was all right to take the gun through security. Bowman said the woman would not be detained, and she does have a permit for the gun. "It does happen. People try to bring a firearm through security," said Rex Tippett, Grand Junction Regional Airport manager. KJCT News 8 was first on the scene.
    It's things like this that give the anti-gun people more ammo
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, I think this woman just did not know which area's of the airport the gun is off limits...

It didn't say she was trying to board the aircraft with it. However, at what point was she going to stop and properly secure it into the locked hard case and place it in her checked baggage. Most people do that at home before arriving at the airport. (But I am assuming she was intending to be a passenger on a flight, she may have been there just to pick up an in-bound passenger)

Still, it is encumbant on all ccw holders to know which area's are off limits before you enter a secure area. Especially at the friggon Airport! Not all areas of the airport is off limits, and if you are just there to pick up a passenger, Stay Out of the Security Areas!

If she was intending to be a passenger, she was totally stupid by not properly packing the firearm in the required manner before she left home. I think it is pretty foolish to think you're going to have an opportunity to do so after you arrive at the airport.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    She's not in jail??
    Remember to go past the TSA checkpoint you have to have a ticket.
    Any place else she would be clapped in irons.
    I guess ignorance can work as an excuse.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    If she was intending to be a passenger, she was totally stupid by not properly packing the firearm in the required manner before she left home. I think it is pretty foolish to think you're going to have an opportunity to do so after you arrive at the airport.
    According to Grand Junction Police Dept. Spokesperson Linda Bowman, the woman said she did not intend to use the weapon against anyone, but she was intending to be a passenger and failed to check the gun with customer service.
    She was totally stupid.

Stupid or not. I like the reaction of the authorities.

She wasn't intending to do anything wrong? OK. No big deal, just check the gun and go on your way.

The fact that these people didn't tackle the woman while screaming "SOMEONE HAS A GUN.......OH, MY GOD!!!!!!!!!."

Gives me some hope.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

But if this would have been a male that "forgot," he would have been toast.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Come on guys?? what has our society become?? Ya she did something stupid. But without malice apparently. After the grilling and cavity search she went through I doubt she will make the same mistake again. Have we become so callused that we cannot say "Ok she learned her lesson" and let things be?
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post

She wasn't intending to do anything wrong? OK. No big deal, just check the gun and go on your way.

The fact that these people didn't tackle the woman while screaming "SOMEONE HAS A GUN.......OH, MY GOD!!!!!!!!!."

Gives me some hope.
    Welcome to western Colorado during hunting season
    This time of year we get flooded with all kinds of guns. 95% are OC from pistols to rifles. The sight of one even in an airport does not cause an auto panic reaction like it would in one of the big cities.

That being said she was dumb as a box of rocks trying carry on an air plane.
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    Come on guys?? what has our society become?? Ya she did something stupid. But without malice apparently. After the grilling and cavity search she went through I doubt she will make the same mistake again. Have we become so callused that we cannot say "Ok she learned her lesson" and let things be?
    I agree and can only hope our society gets back to letting people make mistakes. I just think if it was a male that this mistake would not have been overlooked.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Agreed. Equal is Equal. Start treating everyone the same. But that is a whole other can of worms that I'm not going to open right now/
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    +1. No harm, no foul.

VIP Member

Gives me some hope.
    I'm with you on this.......This is how all these incidents should be handled. What I would like to see is NOTHING happen to her! If she isn't a felon, she should have every right to carry..EVEN ON A PLANE!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Gives me some hope.
    It's a good thing that she didn't have fingernail clippers, or a small bottle of aftershave...then they would have tackled her...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    I agree and can only hope our society gets back to letting people make mistakes. I just think if it was a male that this mistake would not have been overlooked.
    I have actually seen that happen...mail airline pilot jailed (forgot he had his firearm in his bag) and the next day a wife of a semi-celebrity let go for the same thing at the same airport.

But it does give negative ammo...if she was unaware where she could carry, how about other rules?

Rick

Links