Video for Warthog fans...

This is a discussion on Video for Warthog fans... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A-10 Thunderbolt fans (to be more precise... ). My favorite military jet...loved by it's friends, feared by it's enemies. How can something so ugly be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video for Warthog fans...

VIP Member

Video for Warthog fans...

A-10 Thunderbolt fans (to be more precise...).

My favorite military jet...loved by it's friends, feared by it's enemies.

How can something so ugly be so beautiful?

A-10 VERY low flyby...

"I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

They are a great plane. I have seen them in action and it is just mind blowing.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Lead Moderator
    Yep, we get to watch em practice at the ANG base nearby. Nothing like seeing the cannon tear it up on a armored target. The old M113's(targets) look like green swiss cheese when they are finished.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Cool!!! Amazing plane and one of my fave's too - the only plane IIRC that was built around a gun!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yes the plane was built around the gun. If the gun had substained fire it will stall the plane out. That's why it is short bursts only, this will only slow it down a little.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

EW3
    That is what my ANG unit flies. I was told the distinctive sound alone that these aircraft make is enough to make the BG's run away!

Just to show how tough they are, I was there near the flightline in Kuwait the day this plane came back, all shot to hell, but still flying!

http://www.defenselink.mil/heroes/50.../Campbell.html
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

It's the weapon platform that just won't go away...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    Yes the plane was built around the gun. If the gun had substained fire it will stall the plane out. That's why it is short bursts only, this will only slow it down a little.
    Urban Legend...

The gun is increadable though. I got the chance to be on the ground durning a sim strafing run. The noise that it makes is deafening. Raw. Absolutly powerful. They were fireing blanks but wow. Its like shooting a barret. You feel it in your chest more than hear it. It makes your vision go fuzzy for a second.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

M2
    Go Ugly Early!

And the "gun" is the GAU-8 Gatling gun, 30mm of party-busting fun! As big as a VW Beetle, it is the weapon most feared by the Taliban (based on interrogation reports).

And the belief that the recoil could slow the plane to a stall is based on initial testing when gases from the gun caused the TF-34 turbofan engines to flame out. However, the gun exhaust was redesigned to have it pass underneath the fuselage, correcting the problem.

Cheers! M2
    (81 TFW/78 TFS, 82-84)

M2
    By the way, that video was taken at Bagram AB in Afghanistan during a deployment by the 355th Fighter Squadron last summer. The 355 FS was formerly out of Eielson AFB in Alaska; but are currently moving to Moody AFB in Georgia to be part of the 23 Fighter Group, the famous Flying Tigers!

And a little 'Paul Harvey' for ya, the pilot who shot the video forgot his earplugs so he got the full effect of it all. He said it was LOUD!

Cheers! M2

I read a book (and I wish I could recall the name right now) about the A-10s and their last deployment/employment in Iraq. They were not meant to fly at night or for huge, long, distances, IIRC, but the pilots kind of figured out how and did it anyway. There were several pics of the shot up one the female pilot flew in and landed "manually," without hydraulics. They are fascinating planes, I had no idea they were going to re-activate them, when the book ended, I think they were flying them to the "boneyard."
    What Would Gumby Do?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    Actually I have witnessed sustained fire from the A10. I was in a steep dive though. 30mm sure tears up everything it touches.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Great! Looks like you could just reach up and touch it.

Only one that beats it in my book is the SR71. Always loved the Blackbird.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    That is way too cool. Would love to take one of those babies out for a flight.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

EW3
    The USAF has been trying to get rid of these planes for years. They are just not "sexy" like a fighter jet, but as the AF supports the Army and Marines more and more in this joint environment we have, it ain't going anywhere anytime soon. My unit is in the process of upgrading the 1970's avionics to 21st century technology.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,120017,00.html
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links