My own range (and a little more)

This is a discussion on My own range (and a little more) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, we just closed on our own little slice of Kansas. O.K., additional slice. We've owned our own home for a long time on about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My own range (and a little more)

My own range (and a little more)

Well, we just closed on our own little slice of Kansas. O.K., additional slice. We've owned our own home for a long time on about 2 acres but today we finalized our purchase of 40 acres N.E. of Pittsburg. It's about 12 miles from our home and we're really looking forward to having this land to enjoy. It's all fenced in so we'll probably be putting some cattle on it and I'd bet the wife is going to want to put her horse out there which means the daughters two horses will also probably end up there. It looks a little rough right now as it hasn't been cut or grazed for two years. But the great part is it has 3 strip pits on it which should provide some great fishing. The big pit runs the entire west boundary of the property and is 1/2 mile long. The other two pits "T" off of the big one and run across the property. I'm planning on planting a sunflower plot next year for fall dove hunting and one of the pits has a shallow end that I'm going to set duck decoys on and set up a blind. Tons of deer tracks all over the place. Since it's reclaimed strip pit land, there's lots of berms that will make great places for rifle and pistol ranges. It's hard to imagine two old folks getting this excited about anything, but the wife and I are like a couple of kids that just won a toy store in the lottery. If you want to see some pictures, they are here. If you get around Pittsburg, drop me a email and maybe we can get together and see if we can catch a fish.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Congradulations
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Wonderful! Would you mind giving a ballpark $ of what acreage costs in your part of the US? Here in my neck-of-the-woods, a building lot is about $65K

VIP Member

Smile Congrats

Wow..those ponds look like good Bass habitat....endless game possibilities! Very Nice!

Coal,

Enjoy your slice of heaven! My wife and I did a similar thing three years ago - we bought several wooded acres with two ponds. There are loads of fish and the ponds, and all I have to do to shoot is walk about 50 paces out my workshop door. (great for testing and chronographing reloads). One thing I did do was buy a tractor to keep ahead of the land.

Best regards,

Ray Wilson
    Boyertown, PA

we live on 80 acres here in the National Forest in Arkansas, makes it nice when you can just step out the door and shoot anytime you want to.
    somebody asked about the cost, here in Arkansas you can still find acreage for around $1,000 an acre or if you're interested in large tracts maybe a little cheaper.

Very nice!!!
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Senior Moderator
    Nice
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

CVHoss - can you adopt me? I'll do chores.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    Wonderful! Would you mind giving a ballpark $ of what acreage costs in your part of the US? Here in my neck-of-the-woods, a building lot is about $65K
    Don't mind at all. I didn't get a "great" price but I didn't get skinned. The going rate for this type of land around here (strip pit areas) ranges from 1600 to 2000 an acre. I got this 40 acres for 60,000 (1500 an acre). Considering the amount of money we'll save by being able to produce our own hay for 5 horses plus raise our own beef, those savings alone help justify the purchase, even if you don't factor in the recreation and investment aspects.

One thing I did do was buy a tractor to keep ahead of the land.
    I think I've got that part covered. Bought this new in 2000 to work on the ground where our house is:

In 2000 when I bought this, the most of our 2 acres at the house looked like this:

Now, it's more like this (though this picture is over two years old, so it's been worked on some more since then):

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Very nice... in my dreams, I would also own a little piece of America.

VIP Member
    This is the way we were meant to live...............

not in some crowded city or subdivision. (I know most aren't in a position to do so as well, but it is WELL WORTH IT!

Don't forget to add some upgrades: (& yes, it does function)
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Congrats...awesome place you have there!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

nice ! I see lunker bass in those holes ....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Nice pics...couldn't get the videos to work...

Might you like to build a house in the middle of that 'new purchase'?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links