Iceman Died From Head Trauma

This is a discussion on Iceman Died From Head Trauma within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Iceman Died From Head Trauma By NICOLE WINFIELD, AP Posted: 2007-08-30 04 04 Filed Under: Science News ROME, Italy (Aug. 30) - Researchers studying Iceman, ...

Thread: Iceman Died From Head Trauma

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

By NICOLE WINFIELD,
    AP
    Posted: 2007-08-30 0404
    Filed Under: Science News

ROME, Italy (Aug. 30) - Researchers studying Iceman, the 5,000-year-old mummy found frozen in the Italian Alps, now believe he died of head trauma, not the wound of an arrow.

Two months ago, researchers in Switzerland published an article in the Journal of Archaeological Science saying the man known as Oetzi died after an arrow tore a hole in an artery beneath his left collarbone, leading to massive blood loss, shock and heart attack.

But radiologists, pathologists and other researchers, using new forensic information and CAT scans, now say they believe blood loss from the arrow wound only made Oetzi lose consciousness. They now say he died either from hitting his head on a rock when he passed out or because his attacker hit him in the head.

The researchers presented their findings Monday at the Institute for Mummies and the Iceman at the European Academy in Bolzano. The institute was launched in July to coordinate research into Oetzi, whose remains are housed in a nearby museum.

In a statement, the academy said the findings reopened the debate over Oetzi's death, particularly since they took into account the way his body was found: face down, with his left arm across his chest.

The researchers believe he fell backward, but was turned onto his stomach by his attacker, who then pulled out his arrow - leaving the arrowhead imbedded in Oetzi's shoulder.

In a paper published in the archaeological magazine Germania, the researchers said they determined that Oetzi assumed his final position before rigor mortis set in. They also said that based on his good health and the equipment found with him, he belonged to a social class not accustomed to manual labor.

The researchers were Andreas Lippert, a prehistory professor at the University of Vienna, Paul Gostner and Patrizia Pernter, radiologists at the Bolzano regional hospital, and Eduard Egarter Vigl, a pathologist at the hospital.

Oetzi was found by hikers in 1991. In 2000, his body was temporarily thawed so researchers could take samples to study. They found that his last meal included unleavened bread and some greens. He also had eaten venison - strengthening the theory that he was a hunter.

While little else is known about Oetzi, he carried a bow, a quiver of arrows and a copper ax.
    http://news.aol.com/story/ar/_a/icem...00010000000001

Josh <><

VIP Member
    This has been a fascinating story to follow. Thanks for the update, I had not seen this one yet.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I thought Chuck Lidell had died. Whew!

Situational awareness. How important it is. But then, it is hard to dodge the path of an inbound arrow, even the rubber-sucker-tipped ones we used as children. (Don't ask me how I know this.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is interesting, but am I the only one that has a problem with the amount of money being spent on finding out why he died. It seems like the money could be used for so much better causes.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    This is interesting, but am I the only one that has a problem with the amount of money being spent on finding out why he died. It seems like the money could be used for so much better causes.
    So long as it's private funds, everyone's entitled to their foibles. However, if it's actually public funding, I agree completely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    So do they have any suspects?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    The following photo has been sent to all national and international law enforcement organizations. He was seen running from the crime scene and is wanted for questioning. Do not attempt to apprehend yourself, if seen call 1-800-***-isup

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by airbornerangerboogie View Post
    The following photo has been sent to all national and international law enforcement organizations. He was seen running from the crime scene and is wanted for questioning. Do not attempt to apprehend yourself, if seen call 1-800-***-isup

Good one...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Rocky, that wore a gooder!!

Quote Originally Posted by airbornerangerboogie View Post

Geez...one picture with my shirt off, just slightly out of focus. I haven't heard the end of it since!
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

could this be the first presidential assasination
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Links