VA Tech President Defends Himself [but his students couldn't!]

This is a discussion on VA Tech President Defends Himself [but his students couldn't!] within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Va. Tech President Defends Himself Published: 8/30/07, 8:27 PM EDT By HANK KURZ JR. and VICKI SMITH RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - With anguished parents demanding ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VA Tech President Defends Himself [but his students couldn't!]

VIP Member

Angry VA Tech President Defends Himself [but his students couldn't!]

Va. Tech President Defends Himself
    Published: 8/30/07, 8:27 PM EDT
    By HANK KURZ JR. and VICKI SMITH

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - With anguished parents demanding his firing, Virginia Tech's president bristled at suggestions Thursday that he bears responsibility for the bloodbath on campus, calling it a crime "unprecedented in its cunning and murderous results."

At a news conference where he was grilled about an independent panel's conclusion that lives could have been saved had the school warned the campus sooner that a killer was on the loose, Charles Steger suggested there may have been nothing anyone could have done to stop the April 16 rampage by gunman Seung-Hui Cho that left 33 people dead.

"No plausible scenario was made for how this horror could have been prevented once he began that morning," Steger said.

Read the full story here:
    http://home.bellsouth.net/s/editoria...&rg=blsadstrgt

"'No plausible scenario was made for how this horror could have been prevented once he began that morning,' Steger said."

I know of at least one, don't all of you?

My wife just pointed out this gem to me:

"At the time, however, only two administrators had the ability to send campuswide e-mail, and the message first had to be formulated by the Policy Group, a body that includes nine vice presidents and several vice provosts and is chaired by Steger. It took a half-hour just to assemble the group."

A shooting on campus, AND THEY HAD TO ASSEMBLE A COMMITTEE?!!!!

2. Remove Ads

Do you think he'll get charged with 30 counts of manslaughter?

Austin

Assistant Administrator
    My chosen comment is not printable!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post

"At the time, however, only two administrators had the ability to send campuswide e-mail, and the message first had to be formulated by the Policy Group, a body that includes nine vice presidents and several vice provosts and is chaired by Steger. It took a half-hour just to assemble the group."

A shooting on campus, AND THEY HAD TO ASSEMBLE A COMMITTEE?!!!!
    That drives me up a wall like no one's business! Whoever came up with that idea should be fired... and then strung up by their thumbs!
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

I wonder what they would have done if the shooter had started in the admin building...during a committee meeting?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I wonder what they would have done if the shooter had started in the admin building...during a committee meeting?
    My wife's comment upon hearing your post, retsupt99: "Too bad he didn't!"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'm going out on a limb here and be the minority...and say wow. You guys would string up the pope if there was a shooting at the vatican. I bet there aren't many universities that have procedures for such a scenario...and bet they are all reviewing their procedures because of VT. Same thing happened at HSs across the nation after Columbine.

Mistakes made...perhaps...but in the heat of the battle, the chaos that ensured...seems we want to be arm chaired analysts with really no understanding to the dynamics. Easy, because no cost. So, hang the Prez.

There is absolutely nothing the Prez could of done to stop this rampage. Perhaps hang the Governor and State Congress for laws that allow some one with a record of psycological issues obtain a weapon...which they have plugged that hole...but it was a direct contributor to what happened.

Weapons on campus...personally, think it is a good thing. Sadly, we live in a society that is always looking for a scape goat...hence, why we have the highest number of lawyers per capita.

Rick

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Mistakes made...perhaps...but in the heat of the battle, the chaos that ensured...seems we want to be arm chaired analysts with really no understanding to the dynamics. Easy, because no cost. So, hang the Prez.

There is absolutely nothing the Prez could of done to stop this rampage. Perhaps hang the Governor and State Congress for laws that allow some one with a record of psycological issues obtain a weapon...which they have plugged that hole...but it was a direct contributor to what happened. Rick
    I must respectfully disagree. It is absolutely UNCONSCIONABLE that an adult--who was given the title "university president," responsible for, and who claimed authority over, all he surveyed--who, knowing he had an active shooter who was not in custody, did not use every means available, up to and including going out and yelling at the top of his voice on the lawn, to notify his students of the initial tragedy; but who instead waited for a COMMITTEE to tell him what he should do, is undeserving of the title "adult," "president," and "human being." University academics are, in their profession, rewarded for temporizing. In this case, it cost the lives of thirty-two human beings. I have no patience whatsoever for such idiots, and I never will. YMMV.

I must respectfully disagree. It is absolutely UNCONSCIONABLE that an adult--who was given the title "university president," responsible for, and who claimed authority over, all he surveyed--who, knowing he had an active shooter who was not in custody, did not use every means available, up to and including going out and yelling at the top of his voice on the lawn, to notify his students of the initial tragedy; but who instead waited for a COMMITTEE to tell him what he should do, is undeserving of the title "adult," "president," and "human being." University academics are, in their profession, rewarded for temporizing. In this case, it cost the lives of thirty-two human beings. I have no patience whatsoever for such idiots, and I never will. YMMV.

Ok...he calls a lock down...would that have changed anything in this scenario...sincerely doubt it. The police...they didn't know who was on first. The time between the first shots and later rampage was 30 minutes...they all were looking in one direction while the BG went another.

Do you really think he didn't use all means available...what, because some article says so. What were those means...were the police notified? What was the timeline? What was the university procedures in such a scenario...I doubt we truly know. But it does make for good sound bites.

I don't believe everything I read...the truth is probably somewhere in the middle...if that close.
    Rick

THe one to blame here is the guy who killed everyone. Sure, a committee sounds silly, but when it happened they thought the initial shootings were all that was going to happen. How were they supposed to know more people were going to get killed? Shootings are more often personal, not sprees. An email should have gone out without a comittee warning to say that classes were cancelled due to two deaths on campus. However, saying that the guy should resign is ridiculus.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

VIP Member
    Ok...he calls a lock down...would that have changed anything in this scenario...sincerely doubt it. The police...they didn't know who was on first. The time between the first shots and later rampage was 30 minutes...they all were looking in one direction while the BG went another.

Do you really think he didn't use all means available...what, because some article says so. What were those means...were the police notified? What was the timeline? What was the university procedures in such a scenario...I doubt we truly know. But it does make for good sound bites.

I don't believe everything I read...the truth is probably somewhere in the middle...if that close.
    Rick
    Again, I must respectfully disagree. If he did not use EVERY means available to him--lock down the campus, use campus police cruisers to notify students on public address (even if some students thereby "panicked"), send emails, send text messages, print fliers via the campus newspaper (okay, I'm admit engaging in hyperbole on that one)--he is absolutely culpable and at fault, in my mind, for those who died past the initial two students who were killed in this tragedy. His was the responsibility to ACT, and he responded with bureaucratic minutiae. He deserves no pity, he deserves no compassion...he deserves scorn, derision, and the antipathy of all persons of character and substance everywhere. And "academia" is full to bursting with people just like him....

bandit383, I know you and I both deplore the tragedy at Virginia Tech. But, as a public-school educator, I live my life every day with people who think just as he does (and who likely would respond with equivocation and bliss-ninnying in a crisis, just as he did). I find I have less patience, and more loathing, for their mindset, every single day. "A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow."--George S. Patton

Again, I must respectfully disagree. If he did not use EVERY means available to him--lock down the campus, use campus police cruisers to notify students on public address (even if some students thereby "panicked"), send emails, send text messages, print fliers via the campus newspaper (okay, I'm admit engaging in hyperbole on that one)--he is absolutely culpable and at fault, in my mind, for those who died past the initial two students who were killed in this tragedy.

bandit383, I know you and I both deplore the tragedy at Virginia Tech. But, as a public-school educator, I live my life every day with people who think just as he does (and who likely would respond with equivocation and bliss-ninnying in a crisis, just as he did). I find I have less patience, and more loathing, for their mindset, every single day. "A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow."--George S. Patton
    One shootingat the beginning didn't constitute a war...perhaps I email everybody...that assumes everybody is up on email. Campus police to use loud speakers...I say again, even if they did do this, would that have made a difference?? Text message...reminds me of the scenario of 10 people in a line...the first person says something to the second, second to the third...and by the time it reaches the 10th person...what was originally said morphed into something totally different. Imagine that scenario with thousands...absolute chaos and potentially putting more students in harms way.

As for plan...I don't think this scenario existed in any university plans. I bet it does now.

"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions". Sophocies or

"Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go on." Andrew Jackson

Good debate...

Rick

Who says the university has any obligation to do anything to protect students?

*Quickly puts on fireproof pants*

VIP Member
    ...would that have made a difference?? ...absolute chaos and potentially putting more students in harms way....

Good debate...Rick
    Can't go along with those--"would that have made a difference?" So, don't try? ...anything?

"...putting more students in harms way"?--that's too much like "Why carry at all?" for my liking. How much more chaos would/could have ensued than thirty-two dying? I know we will never know for certain, but...if one follows that logic reductio ad absurdum, why defend oneself (or others) at all?

Agree on the debate, though.

Quote Originally Posted by movingshrub View Post
    Who says the university has any obligation to do anything to protect students?

*Quickly puts on fireproof pants*
    again. IANAL, so I wasn't speaking of a legal obligation, just an ethical, moral, and human one.

my thought is, if there is a shooting at school, school should be closed at least for the day. I don't get why it was still open after the first shot was fired, it should have been closed down.

I guess even if they did close down classes everyone would have been at the dorms and still kinda trapped, I go to a college that there are no dorms, everyone lives off campus, so it would have worked better here.

I don't think he should be accountable for the killings (in court), I would highly suggest he steps down from that position or fired.

Everyone is talking about email and such, which in a half hour would have not reached enough people, I have taken online classes and a week into classes some of my classmates and teachers haven't check theirs yet. In high school we had a intercom system, maybe they should go backwards in technology and go back to that, any room your in would have a speaker in it, so that way the whole campus just found out in one minute, maybe not say "ahhh shooting run for your life" but I'm sure some study group funded by millions of our tax dollars has come up with something they could say to get them out of any building without a mass panic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links