It's almost funny: Woman robbed, can't even think to try to get help

This is a discussion on It's almost funny: Woman robbed, can't even think to try to get help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't know, something smells about this story It's from The Palm Beach Post. JUPITER — A mother with two children in her mini-van was ...

Thread: It's almost funny: Woman robbed, can't even think to try to get help

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

I don't know, something smells about this story

It's from The Palm Beach Post.

JUPITER — A mother with two children in her mini-van was forced at gunpoint by two robbers Wednesday to drive to her bank and withdraw cash.

Ludiveria Martinez Mendoza was at the parking lot in front of the Ross department store at 75 W. Indiantown Road when two young women approached her asking for a ride.

They were Christian, they said, and wanted to go to a pastor's house near Central Boulevard.

Mendoza, 43, agreed, but once she pulled onto Indiantown Road, the woman riding beside her on the passenger seat pulled out the gun and demanded $15,000.

Mendoza drove to the Bank of American on the corner of Indiantown and Central, where she withdrew all her family's savings.

Thinking of nothing else but the safety of her 10-month-old daughter and her 6-year-old son, who were still in the mini-van, Mendoza says it didn't occur to her to ask for help at the bank.

Now she can't sleep, can't eat, and her husband is angry.

"I feel useless," she says.

Well, lady, you are.

This story kind of goes hand-in-glove with that one that had the link to the Canadian guy railing on (accurately) about how ours is a society made more and more of effete do-nothings who can't handle any responsibility on their own, who will sit there helpless being slaughtered like lambs rather than fight back.

Un-freakin'-believable.

Nice story. I guess that what her family gets for allowing someone of her mental prowess to have access to the family's savings. I like the descriptions of the two robbers (if you can call them that) - brown hair and eyes, 45-50, blond hair blue eyes 20-25. Now the police can start looking....

Austin

1943 - 2009
    and her husband is angry.
    Ya think?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    This story made me think. I always picture BGs as the typical low life, crackhead, dirtbag. I never think of BGs as women. Would I react differently in an armed robbery or house invasion if it were women?

I would certainly be caught off guard. Worse, the hesitation might cost me my life. Putting a bullet or five into COM of a woman...just seems so distateful.

She is not too bright. Picking up strangers with her children in the car? She could just as easily been shot and dump out...foolish lady! She made a very bad decision...
    If you look in the dictionary under airhead...you'll find her picture!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Very fishy.

"Excuse me, maam... We're Christians and we need a ride to our pastor's house."

"Ok, get in."

"Give me $15,000."

"Ok, I'll go into the bank and get it. Watch my kids for me."

"Here's the money, so where does your pastor live?"

She is being blackmailed and this is her excuse to cover the large withdrawal.

She is trying to leave her husband and has stashed the money somewhere or given it to some guy.

This sounds like a cover story made up after the fact.

Oh yeah, it just happens that they ask for $15,000 which is the exact amount of her family's savings.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    She is not too bright. Picking up strangers with her children in the car? She could just as easily been shot and dump out...foolish lady! She made a very bad decision...
    If you look in the dictionary under airhead...you'll find her picture!
    I wonder if she actually picked up anyone at all, if she ever was robbed. sounds like this story has holes in it. Maybe she spent the money on a shopping spree on drugs or gambling maybe she rat holed it so when she leaves her husband she will have a leg up.
    or maybe she really is just that foolish
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Yeah, this story sounds pretty hokie...

I'm surprised they didn't find her mini-van at the bottom of a lake with her two kids still strapped into their seats.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Multiple armed BG's have two of your children in a van, and you're otherwise alone. Would you do what they demanded, or would you spill the beans and potentially consign them to death in the van?

Big difference between this scenario and being caught alone at a diner with the choice to be herded to the back room or fight for your own life.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    This story made me think. I always picture BGs as the typical low life, crackhead, dirtbag. I never think of BGs as women. Would I react differently in an armed robbery or house invasion if it were women?

I would certainly be caught off guard. Worse, the hesitation might cost me my life. Putting a bullet or five into COM of a woman...just seems so distateful.
    Hubby and I were talking about this last night. You better get a different mindset. Some women can be every bit as dangerous as some men and that is becoming more common as time passes. The same goes for teens. A person who will harm you, even kill you, is a threat, no matter the age or gender. If you look at a woman holding a weapon with intent to use it against you as "the little lady" you might as well crawl into a box.
    How about this story about a little lady.
    Our medical examiner was giving a lecture with pictures. One was a guy who looked like a strainer because of all the holes in him. Wife came home and found him with step daughter in bed. She took a screwdriver and put so many holes in him it took hours to count them. Then she threw him down the stairs. We saw what appeared to be fecus on his chest....we though it was a colon rupture. Nope....wife's dog did her business on the guy after he was dead. Wife was kicking him when the police arrived. NEVER underestimate a women. Heck, never underestimate anyone.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

$15,000 seems like a lot of money to demand of a random stranger. I am sure there are more facts to the case than what is shown, but IF this went exactly as written, then what made these female thugs believe she even had $15,000. Wouldn't they think that a withdrawal of that kind of money would raise suspicions inside the bank (while they waited patiently outside)? Something about this whole thing seems unreal......but then again there have been weirder things happen.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Why she didn't try to get help.

Local TV today mentioned that she can't speak English.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

15,000 Hmm... thats exactly what she had in the bank, go figure
    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding cititzens should also have guns.Otherwise they will win and the decent people will loss.''
    -James Earl Jones.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Local TV today mentioned that she can't speak English.

Sounds fishy to me.

Sponsored Links