My macabre movie predilections!!

This is a discussion on My macabre movie predilections!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have come to realize over time, that my best loved movies always involve good triumphing over evil!! The ones I'll run repeatedly invariably follow ...

Thread: My macabre movie predilections!!

Assistant Administrator

I have come to realize over time, that my best loved movies always involve good triumphing over evil!! The ones I'll run repeatedly invariably follow this trend!

I hope this is not too abnormal - I mean - I get one heck of a kick outa seeing an evil bad guy get his deserts - usually main course lead!

I think it has been more marked in later years, tho I know not why really.

It is I think down to my abhorence of evil people - those who would harm others, including innocents. They are scum and need taken out - and tho I can't do it - I gain some vicarious pleasure in seeing this enacted on the silver screen (well - OK - the boob toob usually!).

Examples (at random) - end of ''Dirty Harry''. End of ''The Patriot'' ....... even dare I say - some of Seagal's better ones.

I am not blood thirsty - really! But I sure like scum to be discombobulated!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Go Ahead punk make my day...i like movie types mentioned ... But tell me what movie does the bad guy win in?

Course i Enjoy Scarface bad guys killing bad guys even better

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - no titles Bud but I am sure there are movies where the bad guy does at least survive, even if not coming out on top. Sad tho it may be!

Ahhh - of course I forgot - probably the best of all - BG vs BG - all taken out - has to be the ideal! Place Gang "A" opposite Gang "B" and let em get on with it - nary a man standing at the end. Ahhh, the saving of LE time - the rapid expurgation of the gene pool - has to be the ultimate - when no outsiders harmed at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Call me silly and juvenile, but I just watched "The Incredibles" for like the 8th time last night, and I could watch it again tonight! What a great triumph of good over evil....even if it is computer generated
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    If you listen to any CW music, you might be familiar with a ditty called "Songs About Me." In that regard, I like movies where the central plot line is one of redemption, even if making things square comes at a price.

Think of Episode VI of "Star Wars," think about "The Quick and the Dead," or dig up an old favorite like an obscure Fess Parker movie called "The Jayhawkers."

Periodically I play "All That Jazz" and find that the movie ages with me. As Roy Scheider follows the plot twists, it follows the ages of my life.

None of the central characters have one scintilla of obvious moral fabric, until there comes a definition of their core values which we view as the climax. The twist is that those values were always there. As tear-jerking and maudlin as it is written, Luke's comment of "Father, I feel the conflict within you," is pretty much the driving force of all of these players.

As Joe Gideon is trundled off to heart surgery in All That Jazz, he is accompanied by his ex-wife and his current mistress. His view pretty much nailed my life.

He says to his ex-wife, "If I die, I'm sorry for the things I did to you." I felt a fiery pain at his admission. He then turns to his mistress.

"And if I live, I'm sorry for all of the things I'm going to do to you." And I laughed, in spite of myself.

Any movie 'hero' can make you cheer, that's his job. But when the redeemed put their lover on a airplane in Casablanca, or when a land swindler dies in bed with pistols blazing in The Alamo, that's a song about me.

And if you'd admit it, it's your story, as well.

I'm like P95 about abhorring the scum of the earth and find solace in at least watching good triumph in a 2 hr movie...my favorites have always been the Dirty Harry and Death Wish series. Can't recall a movie where the obvious "villain" came out on top, but there are scores of movies where a supporting GG role is an AH and I'd wish that one would get it in the end too....never seems to happen....only the main GGs partner gets it....just saw In The Line of Fire the other night.....there's an example. Someday, I gonna get a Wildey (Death Wish III) !
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    While he doesn't play a really bad villian. Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw drive away to Mexico with stolen bank money in "The Getaway."

VIP Member
    The Tourist also touched on another favorite movie theme: redemption!

I really like movies where the characters don't find out that they are the good guys until the end..."Casablanca" is one of the best, but others include "The Searchers", "Red River" (both John Wayne films), "Hard Times" (Charles Bronson), and especially "Stalag 17", one of William Holden's best movies.

Not a whole lot of gun-play in these movies, but a whole lot of satisfaction to be found!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Val Kilmer's character,...

... in Heat got away. And he's the one who started the firefight by instantly going to full auto when he saw the police.

Then there was John Travolta's movie (i forget the name of it) where he kills a bunch of people and gets away with it but he's just some kind of rogue operative who who will do whatever it takes to keep America safe even if he has to kill a few innocent Americans to do it. At the end, kills a much wanted terrorist (long after the main plot-line of the story is over).
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    ... in Heat got away. And he's the one who started the firefight by instantly going to full auto when he saw the police.
    Ohhhhhhhh Mannnnnnnn !! Did I LOVE that movie!!
    I placed it on my surround sound system and sat in the center of the room while it played.. I thought I was in the MIDDLE of that firefight!! nuthin like the smell of burnt gunpowder and the ringing of brass hitting the ground..
    LMAO.I almost wanted to get out my Shorty 16 and dive in!!

1952 - 2006
    The John Travolta movie is "Swordfish" one of my most recent favorite films.

My favorites are usually westerns. All the John Wayne westerns. The Magnificent Seven. Silverado. etc. I can and do watch these films over and over again.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Ahhh - of course I forgot - probably the best of all - BG vs BG ...
    As someone once posted on THR:

"Nazis and Communists killing each other...good for the soul."

Hey, CLASS3NH,

Here's one for your surround sound cranked up loud (no the bad guy doesn't get away and there are no guns going off, but it does get the hair on the back of my neck to stand on end, raise my blood pressure through the roof and bring a tear to my eye - like it's doing now just thinking about it.)

In Sum of All Fears, at the beginning of the football game, the Star Spangeled Banner being sung (4th verse) backed up by very aggressive drums. When you see the motorcade sweeping along the elevated roadway, crank up the volume!

Normally I very strongly dislike hearing that sung like a ballad or folksong, but with the drums as contrast, it is awsome.
    Last edited by grnzbra; June 9th, 2005 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Afterthought
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    But tell me what movie does the bad guy win in?
    "The Usual Suspects" Keyser Soze got away.
    Stops Jihad on Contact

Links