none-firearm SD

none-firearm SD

This is a discussion on none-firearm SD within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know this forum is mostly about firearms but there are times when a firearm is not an option. I learned basic hand to hand ...

Thread: none-firearm SD

none-firearm SD

I know this forum is mostly about firearms but there are times when a firearm is not an option. I learned basic hand to hand in the army –just enough to get my butt kicked anyway.-
    I have my ASP cert and learned PPCT in the academy. These all have their uses but I would like to take things a step further and learn some advanced techniques. I have learned a little bit of Sambo but did not care for the style. Right now I am leaning towards Krav Maga but would like to hear from anyone who has more practical knowledge in deferent styles and techniques.
    thanks
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

try out HTHWF see how that works

(Hit Them Hard With Fists)
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xd.40sub View Post
    try out HTHWF see how that works

(Hit Them Hard With Fists)
    LOL... I think that is kind of the underlying theory with any of the martial arts disciplines.

I used to study Tang Su Do which is a sister form to Tae Kwon Do. It is a very utilitarean style that focuses more on practical fighting techniques rather than flashy moves and stunts. It covers a very broad range of techniques from punching, kicking, throws, grappling, and more. You might want to see if there is a school in your area and check it out.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

88m,

I just started looking around also. I did some karate in college and have some baseic h2h skills but want to find something different.

My first ccw class was a private one-on-one. The instructor was retired SWAT. He went over a number of defensive moves involving an attacker with a gun. I later found out that what he was teaching was Krav Maga, which is what is taught to a lot of LEOs.

I've done some research and think Krav Maga is the way to go. It is all business. You can find locations at www.kravmaga.com Unfortunately, there are no locations in my area.

BTW, the tv show Human Weapon just aired on Krav Maga last night. It comes on the History channel and they usually air repeats so you should be able to find it on your tivo.

Try these guys

Quote Originally Posted by 88m View Post
    I know this forum is mostly about firearms but there are times when a firearm is not an option. I learned basic hand to hand in the army –just enough to get my butt kicked anyway.-
    I have my ASP cert and learned PPCT in the academy. These all have their uses but I would like to take things a step further and learn some advanced techniques. I have learned a little bit of Sambo but did not care for the style. Right now I am leaning towards Krav Maga but would like to hear from anyone who has more practical knowledge in deferent styles and techniques.
    thanks
    The FIGHT system (called Haganah) is a developed mix of Krav-maga, Kapap, Lotar, and Jujitsu.
    http://fight2survive.com/default.aspx

This is the run-down on the system:
    http://fight2survive.com/system.aspx
    Training is conducted in parallel in a three-month rotation system.
    All techniques in the Haganah system lead practitioners to one of three points of reference (destination points) with three objective options- restraint, incapacitation, or termination. By limiting the variety of combat strategies, learning time is accelerated and depth of understanding and skill levels are increased. Our practitioners become adept at quickly reacting to attacks and if necessary improvising to achieve these few points of reference
    I found a place close to me in NoVA a few years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. It sounds kind of unreal that they only teach you a few things and only in a few months...but as one who did it....it is EXTREMELY effective training practice. You're trained to react quickly and effectively in a VERY short period of time.

....and no I don't have any affiliation with any of these places. I just took the classes I guess going on 2 years ago now. I'm planning on jumping back in rotation when I can afford to burn money again.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links