Amazing- a reasonable insurance company settlement.

This is a discussion on Amazing- a reasonable insurance company settlement. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I posted last week about the accident that I had, which totaled my car. It was old, a 1997 Firebird, with 101000 miles, but it ...

Thread: Amazing- a reasonable insurance company settlement.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

I posted last week about the accident that I had, which totaled my car. It was old, a 1997 Firebird, with 101000 miles, but it ran great, and never had a major problem. And, given my financial troubles from being out of work the past 6 months, I really don't need the problem of having to find another car, especially since I don't have any money, and financing is currently out of the question. My wife has offered to help by adding a few thousand (around 3K), to the settlement, but that still will probably not get me anything in the kind of shape my old car was. I wasn't expecting much. I was hoping for at least the blue book trade in value, which was about #K. But when my wife totalled her Nissan 300ZX a few years ago, she was basically screwed, not getting very much at all. I was betting that they would low ball me, and offer around $1500. I got the offer this morning, which was left on my answering machine. My jaw dropped when I heard the amount- after deductible, it comes to $4919. I was amazed. With the extra from my wife, the car that i get may actually last a year or 2. I have had pretty good service from State Farm (except that somehow, they left rental car coverage off of my policy, something so cheap that I always get it, and I've been stranded for the last 10 days- hey maybe there's an advantage to being out of work). So, next week, after I cash the check, it will be off to shop for a used car. And, in a month or 2, when I have some cash, I'll get an extended warranty online. Hey, since I also got a call back on one of the CVs that I sent out (a CV is a medical resume), maybe things will start to look up!

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Here's hoping for you
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Hey, that's great news, and the fact that it was the opposite of what you expected made it even better!

Maybe this is the start of an upward trend for you :)
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Go buy a lottery ticket...TODAY! It's your lucky day...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Sounds like you got a good deal. Over the past 10 years or so I have made sure that my auto insurance was setup for replacement cost of a vehicle of like kind and quality. I don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles and take care of them so I would get burned if one of mine was totaled without the replacement coverage. What I would get for a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 under regular coverage would not replace it with another that has less than 40K on it. The replacement cost coverage would pay what I would have to spend to replace my truck with one in the same condition less deductible. Not that much more expensive either.

Congrats on the good settlement.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

good deal on the car - and State Farm no less...

IIRC CV is actually Curricula Vitae which is not really a resume but a more specific document dealing with professional credentials, education and experience

for shopping cars (and this is local for you...) try----
    http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    for shopping cars (and this is local for you...) try----
    http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/

Thanks, I'll check it out. And, today, I ran into another problem (the way the last 2 years have gone, I should have figured that nothing would go smoothly). I looked for the title, but I couldn't find it. I remember putting it in a jewery box, that I use for a few important things. But, I haven't seen the box since we moved last October. So, I went to the DMV, and applied for a duplicate title. The last time that I had to get one, I walked out with it. But now, it seems, I have to wait for it to be mailed from Carson City, which can take 2-4 weeks. And, since I have to sign over the title to get the check, it looks like I'll have transportation problems for a while. Over the next 2 days, I'll tear through the house, andgo through any unpacked boxes. Maybe it will turn up. But, knowing my luck, it may be difficult to locate.

Links