Lefties

Lefties

This is a discussion on Lefties within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Was looking at a thread about Stag uppers for AR's. Made me wonder. I am a left, but I shoot right handed. Always have as ...

Thread: Lefties

Lefties

Was looking at a thread about Stag uppers for AR's. Made me wonder.

I am a left, but I shoot right handed. Always have as far as I can recall.

Are there any other lefties who shoot right handed?

I shoot rifles right handed only because I am right eye dominate. I've tried to use them left handed but I have to move all the way over and it doesn't work very well.

But I use my left hand for pistols and everything else.

I consider myself left handed. I shoot my pistol with my left hand but can shoot pretty much as well with my right. That probably comes from shooting my dad's gun with a target grip made for the right hand.

Still a lefty with a rifle though.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I am left hand/left eye, and my wife is ambi with no dominant eye. She could probably shoot with her toes and hold a nice tight group.

I can shoot right almost as well as I shoot left, but I feel weird doing it. Doesn't feel anything close to natural.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Lead Moderator
    I can shoot RH'ed with a rifle, but don't typically. I bat, golf and generally swing RH'ed . Somewhat ambi I guess.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Count me in! Finding grips, etc, was always a pain, so somewhere I learned to shoot right handed. I still shoot left handed, but almost all of my guns are for those silly righties...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I have been ambidextrous all my life but am primarily right handed when it comes to writing and feeding myself. But I can shoot handguns in left or right (right being slightly better groups) but when it comes to rifles and shotguns I immediately go left. I can shoot them right handed, but it just takes a second to retrain which eye is dominant. It is quite handy and if ever a arm is hurt in the future I am not training from ground zero to use the other hand.

I'm a lefty...sorta. I shoot, eat, hammer nails and write lefty but play all sports righty. I guess I'm kinda confused about what I am.
    Where's a good shrink when ya need one?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
    I shoot rifles right handed only because I am right eye dominate. I've tried to use them left handed but I have to move all the way over and it doesn't work very well.
    I'm a lefty, but right-eye dominant. In terms of hand-eye coordination, I also have zero ability on my right-hand side. So, that makes it a bit of a challenge. I've played golf righty; tennis and anything else with a paddle or racuet, lefty; baseball, lefty for hitting and catching; writing, lefty; drinking out of a glass/cup, lefty. I have no right side, more or less.

With rifles, I'm open-sights within 50yds (ie, Marlin 1894 lever), low-power scope out to 125yds or so (ie, Leupold 2.5 IER), and higher-powered scopes beyond that. With all but the higher-powered scope, it's with both eyes open. With the decent scopes, the low comb on my range rifle simply allows me to use my right eye. No rifles for the field, as my hunting days are behind me.

With pistols, I use my right eye when target shooting, more or less, though I'm working on keeping both eyes open. That's allowing me more flexibility in being able to handle varying situations, shooting with either hand, etc.

Well, if nothing else, this shows there is simply no accounting for taste, or how someone will solve the problem of being cross-eye dominant.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by zxd9 View Post
    I'm a lefty...sorta. I shoot, eat, hammer nails and write lefty but play all sports righty. I guess I'm kinda confused about what I am.
    Where's a good shrink when ya need one?
    Same here, I think cause all the hand me down sports stuff was righty.

I am left handed but when I grew up there were no "left-handed" rifles so I learned to shoot rifles right-handed. I shoot pistols left-handed though. Through the years I have learned to be ambi-dextrous and shoot equally well (or badly depending on the day) with either hand...

Sponsored Links