Excellent article on VT shooting.

This is a discussion on Excellent article on VT shooting. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; From the Investor's Business Daily this is an excellent article and perspective on the VT shooting. http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArti...73365811948314 Clueless At Va. Tech By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY ...

Thread: Excellent article on VT shooting.

Excellent article on VT shooting.

From the Investor's Business Daily this is an excellent article and perspective on the VT shooting.

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArti...73365811948314

Clueless At Va. Tech
    By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:20 PM PT

Public Safety: A governor's report on the Virginia Tech shootings says earlier warnings might have helped reduce the carnage. It says nothing about VT's complicity in denying the murdered their right to self-defense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Topics: General Politics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the release of Virginia Tech's internal review of the shooting spree in April that left 33 dead, it was hard to imagine a more clueless document on the tragedy being released. But the report released Wednesday by an eight-member panel headed by Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine takes the prize.

VT's review called on police, counselors and other university personnel to monitor students whose behavior might indicate they pose a threat. It also recommended internal locks on classroom doors and Internet-based message boards to transmit warnings.

Why it took four months to come up with a report that starts with a grasp of the obvious and concludes everyone did the best they could is beyond us. Fact is, everyone didn't do the best they could.

"Warning the students, faculty and staff might have made a difference," the governor's panel wrote. "So the earlier and clearer the warning, the more chance an individual had of surviving." That's the panel's advice: Tell people to run and hide earlier.

Of the inaction between the first two deaths and the rest of the killings, the report said: "There does not seem to be a plausible scenario of a university response to the double homicide that could have prevented the tragedy of considerable magnitude on April 16."

Actually there was a university action that made the tragedy possible, if not inevitable, the repeal of which could prevent another such tragedy from occurring. Left out of both reports was the university's decision to make itself a gun-free zone — at least for the prey, if not the predators. And VT officials wanted it that way.

Last year, House Bill 1572 died in the Virginia General Assembly, failing to even get out of committee. The legislation was designed, as the Roanoke Times reported, to bar public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit . . . from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

After the bill's defeat, VT spokesman Larry Hincker said: "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on campus." And killers like Cho Seung-Hui.

One wonders if Cho would have even walked on campus with a gun if he knew his victims were able to defend themselves. Or how the story would have been different had Professor Liviu Librescu, a Holocaust survivor who lost his life barricading a classroom door so his students could escape, had been able to fire back.

Surely VT officials knew that in January 2002, when a professor and a student were killed on the nearby campus of the Appalachian School of Law, two of the three students who overpowered the gunman before he could kill more innocent victims were armed.

Monitoring troubled students and better warning systems are fine. But we need to do more than tell students and other potential victims to hunker down in locked rooms and hope for the best. We do not need "gun-free" zones that are gun-free for everyone except the predator.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I'd love to comment, but it seems that the editorial has spoken for me.

That is why I carry. I cannot count on anyone other than myself to protect me.

Good post! I always enjoy hearing others in the public forums actually starting to "get it"... Hopefully this new understanding will permeate into our legislative branch....
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    We do not need "gun-free" zones that are gun-free for everyone except the predator.
    That about sums it up

Amen

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    It is a good article...what is the distribution of the article...wide or small?

Rick

I have no idea....

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    It is a good article...what is the distribution of the article...wide or small?

Rick
    But I have seen it on several gun sites already. I've of course passed it along to many of my friends and students.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Yup!! My sentiment exactly!! Steve48

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    But I have seen it on several gun sites already. I've of course passed it along to many of my friends and students.
    It is the non-gun sites that I am wondering...so I was wondering if the general public is reading this or just a small paper and expanded on the gun sites (which is limited readership).

Rick

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    well i was going to say somethign but the article said it all for me
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Ok so VA Tech is now a poster child for campus security ideas. Here is mine. All colleges already have required classes. Let's make gun safety/use of deadly force a requirement for all first year students. In addition, passing the class with a 80% or better entitles the student to carry a concealed handgun on campus. Campus employees , including faculty can take the course too.

Yes, I know I am still dreaming.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

...One wonders if Cho would have even walked on campus with a gun if he knew his victims were able to defend themselves. Or how the story would have been different had Professor Liviu Librescu, a Holocaust survivor who lost his life barricading a classroom door so his students could escape, had been able to fire back...

Well written article...and the thoughts apply to ALL gun-free-zones...EVERYWHERE!
    (Just posted on gun forum sites, is of course, preaching to the choir.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

We all knew from the start that the new plan would be the same as the old plan, just more of it.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links