Univ busted for shotgun in his dorm room?

This is a discussion on Univ busted for shotgun in his dorm room? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What happens to university students caught with a gun and a couple of knives on Univ Property and in his own CAR? http://www.kctv5.com/news/14044575/detail.html be careful ...

Thread: Univ busted for shotgun in his dorm room?

What happens to university students caught with a gun and a couple of knives on Univ Property and in his own CAR?

http://www.kctv5.com/news/14044575/detail.html

be careful folks...Not all the facts are out yet, but I suspect a large majority of the Universities will react similarly (unless of course you're fortunate enough to be schooling in Utah).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Question 1: Why did he give consent to the search? Or what judge issued the warrant?

Was anything he did actually illegal? Is there a Kansas state law against firearms on university property, even in a private vehicle? Is there a state law against having bladed objects on university property?

I'd be interested to see what exactly they're charging him with.

Wow! Our Rifle Team Coach used to send our University-owned Anschutz 52 Super Match rifles back to the dorm WITH US so we could leave extra-early on the next morning to go to a NCAA Smallbore Match. It saved time by keeping us from all having to meet again at the Armory. If we got home late, we'd often keep them in our Dorm Rooms for convenience until Monday morning. We, nor anyone else, thought anything about it. It was just a piece of Sporting Equipment...like a ballglove or track cleats. We needed it to compete.

What a weird world we've legislated.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sounds like.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Question 1: Why did he give consent to the search? Or what judge issued the warrant?

Was anything he did actually illegal? Is there a Kansas state law against firearms on university property, even in a private vehicle? Is there a state law against having bladed objects on university property?

I'd be interested to see what exactly they're charging him with.
    It was the supposed threats he made that got him in trouble more than anything else. Once he made the threats they then found the gun and all the ammo and knives. The threats were most likely the probable cause they needed to search. Just a guess on my part mind you.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

According to that... he threatened a couple of students. The students thought he was a nutter and reported the threat. The police did get a warrant to search his room and auto for weapons. All they found was a shotgun and a knife collection. Even the LEO interviewed said that it was a hunting type shotgun, and that it wasn't uncommon in that area for Hunters to bring firearms onto the campus. The LEO also said that he didn't believe the boy was a threat.

Backs originally was charged with possession of a firearm on state property, but the charge was dropped because the university didn't have the required signs stating possession of firearms wasn't permitted on the property.
    So he only faces a single charge of criminal threat.

I don't know about this one. He wasn't busted for the Shotgun, or the knife collection. He was busted for making a threat. And if he is in fact running around making threats then I'm glad he was busted.

If on the other hand he didn't make a threat toward anyone, then I'm sure the nice big civil suit he files will net him a good settlement.

Ah they updated it...Originally when I first grabbed the link it didn't mention anything about threats. That's why I said it needed more info. Now it all comes together.

although these kind of statements rub my funny bone:
    "Between his car and residence hall, there were probably 10 to 12 knives. He had a variety of knives ... not your normal kitchen setup," he said. "One was a rather large bladed knife."
    OOOH a big one! I hope I never give anyone reason to search my home...I'm screwed if "large bladed knife"'s are a big deal.
    Last edited by packinnova; September 5th, 2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: can't help myself
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The student is lucky to only be facing a criminal threat charge...any charge involving a weapon, and he probably wouldn't have to leave the town of...Leavenworth!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    What is missing is what the verbal threats were and to whom and for what reason. Regardless...the judge sent him to be evaluated...must be probable cause for this...more to follow for sure.

Rick

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Backs originally was charged with possession of a firearm on state property, but the charge was dropped because the university didn't have the required signs stating possession of firearms wasn't permitted on the property.
    From what I can tell (IANAL), it's not illegal based upon KSA 21-4218 which states firearms are prohibited
    within any other state-owned or leased building if the secretary of administration has so designated by rules and regulations and conspicuously placed signs clearly stating that firearms are prohibited within such building
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    One of the "information" channels on tv was running a crawler on the bottom of the screen. When it came to this matter, they said that the police had found an "arsenal" in his room. 1 shotgun, some ammo and a few knives is an arsenal? Guess they would have a stroke if they saw what is in my house. Nowhere did it say anything about the threats he made, just propaganda about his "arsenal". Stupid media people!!
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Sponsored Links