Hand Salute

Hand Salute

This is a discussion on Hand Salute within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Secretary's of the services had previously granted permission and now Congress has unanimously voted in a law that grants Service Personnel in civilian clothes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Salute

Hand Salute

The Secretary's of the services had previously granted permission and now Congress has unanimously voted in a law that grants Service Personnel in civilian clothes and veterans to render the Hand Salute rather than holding their hand over their heart when appropriate. This is to show an honor well earned.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Please substantiate with a link to the directive if possible.

VIP Member
    What I heard was that former military was allowed to do the hand salute even wearing civvies. But civilians would continue to place the right hand over the heart.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

JD
    Administrator
    Salute without a uniform and cover? Heck no, I'll just stand at attention thank you very much

Administrator
    I agree with JD. I'll stick with tradition. Besides tradition, I hate sloppy salutin', and this will only encourage those who do not know how or when to salute to salute. Oh well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Get a cover on that grape. and salute or stand at attention and place your hand over your heart. Show your PRIDE any way you want. Those that earned it, should show it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Salute without a uniform and cover? Heck no, I'll just stand at attention thank you very much
    +1.....unthinkable without a cover & uniform!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If you are a civilian, you should cover your heart with your hand.

If you are an active duty service member you should follow your service's saluting protocol.

If you are a veteran or retiree protocol used to be that you salute as a civilian. Now retirees and veterans are allowed to render the hand salute.

Concerns about lack of uniform and cover are no longer germane, because the rules have changed. If they changed in some other way would you ignore that change as well?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    If you are a civilian, you should cover your heart with your hand.

If you are an active duty service member you should follow your service's saluting protocol.

If you are a veteran or retiree protocol used to be that you salute as a civilian. Now retirees and veterans are allowed to render the hand salute.

Concerns about lack of uniform and cover are no longer germane, because the rules have changed. If they changed in some other way would you ignore that change as well?
    Probably, but that's just my jarheaded stubbornness

Senior Moderator
    I have no problem with that.

Anyone that has served ought to be able to salute. Its a simple thing.

Around here any the old guys at the VFW and American Legion always salute...thus the reason for them wearing that dorky little cap with all of the pins on them...

so that they could make the Jarheads happy by saying that they were "covered".

Anything that reconizes a Vet is a GOOD THING...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    Please substantiate with a link to the directive if possible.
    I agree. I have searched the websites of the House and Senate as well as the Congressional Record without finding any reference to any such action. I also did a search of several news sites without success. Please provide some substantiation of this action.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I think I'll just stand at attention. Just how I feel.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

VIP Member
    Unless it passed today it is still in the House. Either way the President hasn't signed it and wouldn't sign it until he is back from the APEC meeting.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:s1877:

If you prefer a non-government affiliated link:
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-1877
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think it is a good thing. It is a sign of respect...forged over long time traditions. Whatever the actual origin of today’s hand salute, it is still a military tradition and indicates a sign of respect, whether in or out of uniform. As been said, one can take the person out of the uniform, but one can not take the uniform out of the person...a profession of arms military courtesy. Rendering respect, whether standing at attention, hand over heart or rendering a hand salute...are there those that are so flatlined that they fail to see the bigger picture??

Rick

My apologies, I have deleted the references to both the approval of the Secretary's and the Congress, but both were good reliable sources.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links