Dakotaranger's Review of the 2007 version of "3:10 to Yuma

This is a discussion on Dakotaranger's Review of the 2007 version of "3:10 to Yuma within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One of my Top Ten movies of all time is the 1957 version of 3:10 To Yuma . While it similar to High Noon if ...

Thread: Dakotaranger's Review of the 2007 version of "3:10 to Yuma

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

Dakotaranger's Review of the 2007 version of "3:10 to Yuma

One of my Top Ten movies of all time is the 1957 version of 3:10 To Yuma . While it similar to High Noon if 3:10 Came out before High Noon I believe no one would know about High Noon. With High Noon you have a soon to be former marshal that is marrying a pacifist begging for help. 3:10 is more about the interaction between Ben Wade and Dan. It is more psychological dealing with the stress that Dan goes through before he gets the bad guy to the train including offers of bribery. Without giving to much away the original is about doing the right thing and not letting evil triumph.

After I saw the first few minutes of the preview in movie theaters, starting seeing hints of what the movie was going to be I got excited that Hollywood when I figured out that they remade my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE western of all time. Although being fully cognisant of the damage Hollywood does when they make classic I was skeptical of what we would get. The 2007 3:10 to Yuma

This is one of the few remakes that is well done. The movie was full of action, where the original didn't have a lot until the last ten minutes. The new version did an awesome job of working in almost all the great dialogue of the original. The ending of this movie was totally unexpected and was the only way this version could end and be intellectually honest with itself. Unfortunately I can't share why I liked the ending due to I would ruin the film for those that would see this.

There are a couple of things that did bug me. There was one point where some Pinkerton Detectives had Ben Wade hooked up to electrodes. I get the left is horrified by Abu Grahib, the soldiers were punished that did it. And I'll agree torture done for fun or just sheer punishment shouldn't happen. Yada, yada, yada. The reason I know this is the case is because Peter Fonda said so. To the left let it go, the monsters would do worse and have done worse to us.

Then there is blame big business (railroad) for everyone's problems. While there were unethical business dealings big business isn't to blame for everything. While the issue they were dealing with was emanate domain (a valid concern) blaming a "corrupt business" or blaming your up bringing doesn't release the criminal from taking responsibility for their crime.

It really did make me want to saddle up and head for the hills after Jesse James.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I think I'm going to go see it this afternoon. I'm glad it's getting positive reviews.

JD
    Administrator
    Ditto, looked good in the previews, I just don't get an Aussie and a British? actor doing a western

It's not quite a spaghetti western, but a crumpet and tea western!

Christan Bale is getting some good roles lately, I think he played a good part in Reign of Fire and the latest Batman movie: Batman Begins.

I'll be interested to see how this movie does.

Also, for good honest reviews on movies, go to RottenTomatoes.com

That'll be one for the collection when it comes out on DVD in about 3 months....then another 3 months it'll be at $13.00 or less...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    That'll be one for the collection when it comes out on DVD in about 3 months....then another 3 months it'll be at $13.00 or less...
    Don't forget getting the original. I watched it three times at work after I got done writing my review of of the 2007 version...the 2007 version does the 1957 version well.

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Christan Bale is getting some good roles lately, I think he played a good part in Reign of Fire and the latest Batman movie: Batman Begins.
    I have yet to see him do a bad job in any of his movies. Granted, I haven't seen them all, but I think he's definitely on his way up, and deservedly so.

Great post. I looking forward to the movie after church today.

VIP Member
    Christan Bale is getting some good roles lately...
    He is very good in this film, and he was excellent in Rescue Dawn, a film that was released on a limited showing about a month ago.

I love westerns, and the new 3:10 to Yuma fits the bill nicely...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Don't forget getting the original. I watched it three times at work...
    Uh, can I work where YOU work?
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Well you can always apply, but the commute would stink from Minot.

Senior Moderator
    JD and I got to see this in the theater a couple of days ago.... VERY good movie and very thought provoking.

We spend at least an hour and a half talking about it when we went out to dinner.

As stated the plot is basically about doing the right thing, no matter what, and how doing that right thing can effect the lives of people you may never have thought possible.

I won't say anymore, it would be a give-away, but it will definitely be a movie being added to our collection when it comes out.

Ditto, looked good in the previews, I just don't get an Aussie and a British? actor doing a western

[/URL]
    Haven't you ever heard of "Brokeback Mountain"?

I enjoyed it. The anti-railroad part is a staple of many westerns so I didn't take it as big business bashing. It's more a part of the Western genera.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Links