N.C. Outer Banks Trip

N.C. Outer Banks Trip

This is a discussion on N.C. Outer Banks Trip within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK here's the deal. My wife and I are going to leave for vacation on the 13th of this month. Bound for, you guessed it, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

N.C. Outer Banks Trip

OK here's the deal. My wife and I are going to leave for vacation on the 13th of this month.
    Bound for, you guessed it, the outer banks.
    Now what I need from some of our learned members here is a list of must do things while there.
    So those that live near the outer banks or have traveled their please share with me.
    We will be towing our 5th wheel and camping most of the trip.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I was in that area about a month and a half ago. However, this vacation was geared more towards the kids (nieces and nephews) so I probably don't have a lot to suggest except maybe as to which mini golf place to go to.

However on a side note, there is a store near there that I was able to find that could fill just a moment's curiosity. Not so much the store itself, but more the address of the store.
    Flatwoods Outfitters
    111 2nd Amendment Ln
    Hubert NC
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

that is too funny. I will be sure and check it out.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Where are you camping in OBX?
    There is a small aquarium in Manteo (Wanchese) I believe.
    We always eat at Dolphins Den in Avon.
    Go down to Hatteras Landing Marina or Teach's Lair and watch the deep sea fishing boats come in. Talk nice to some of the fishermen that come back in and give'em a little cash and you can get some fresh catch.
    Get dessert down in Hatteras Landing, Askin's Creek bakery I think is the name of it. Its whoever owns Askin's Creek.
    Surf fish off Cape Point, Oregon Inlet, or Hatteras Inlet. Howard's Pub in Ocracoke. You are in Federal Park territory when you go down there, and not to offend, the NPS wardens down there are know for being SOBs.
    If you want any fishing info go to http://www.reddrumtackle.com
    and look on the forum there. You also get some local info concerning the NPS guys.
    Nags Head is kinda like Myrtle Beach to me. Just look around, if you see something you like, just try it and you'll probably like it ok. Nothing really stands out to me up there.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

prawls
    Thanks for the reply. I was begining to think no one goes to the outer banks from this forum. We will be camping at Cape Hatteras. Again thanks for the tips. I will put them to good use.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

At Camp Hatteras, stay on the ocean side and find a site that is on high ground. During rain events, some sites are underwater. Sound side is nice and quiet, but the skeeters and other bitting bugs get a little ruthless.

If you drive on the beach, 20psi, and 4lo will keep you safe.
    CARRY GUNS:

Make sure you hit the OBX brewery (north end of OBX)...good stuff there. Also, a good family thing is to go to the sand dunes in Kittyhawk. Right across the street there is Kittyhawk Kites, buy a couple then go up on the dunes and fly 'em. And most of all RELAX.....

Dont get trapped in a wind storm when yur on the beach but also when yur there ride as far south bound as you can, it a good hour to 2 hour drive depending on if you stop and sight see any and the ferry over to ocacroke is fun, ocacroke is like some sea salty town lined with bars, pubs, live bands, all the good stuff, I went back at the begining of the summer and it was one of the best beach trips id been on. Oddly not to much in the way of sea food, but if you go to dinner for good sea food go to the quarter deck, its not the best look place but the flounder is out of this world good. Its right in frisco you cant miss it. Have fun and enjoy your trip!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    prawls
    Thanks for the reply. I was begining to think no one goes to the outer banks from this forum. We will be camping at Cape Hatteras. Again thanks for the tips. I will put them to good use.
    Mike
    WHAT!!!! best place in AMERICA.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Some really nice aquariums at Fort Fisher or Morehead. Nice civil war stuff as well. Also if you like fishing, hard to find much better locations than the outerbanks.

Beaufort also has tours of Blackbeard's sunken ship, and some pretty interesting things in their Maritime museum.

All in all have fun
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Be sure to check out the lighthouses along the way...I think there are 6 or 7 of them along OBX. Several good restaurants along the way as well and lots of good beach. The ferry rides are not short...one is 2 hours and the other is 45 minutes. Scooters get head of the line privileges, though. Lots of places to camp, but take plenty of mosquito repellent with you. The bride and I rode the scooter up the OBX back in June from Wilmington, through PA, NY, NH, VT, and into Maine and back down the Blue Ridge Parkway to SC and back to TN. 'Twas a good ride...took us a few days to recover, but it was all good. Enjoy your trip...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

OBX

Hit Kitty Hawk Kites for the introductory hang gliding lessons, not just flying kites.

Check out the wild horses in Corolla. They roam right on the beach. Also some of the emptiest beaches in OBX, that is relative though! A fishing charter is fun if you have the time and want to spend a little money. Oregon Inlet has a few. I recommend Broad Creek.

Awesome guys. Thanks for all the tips. Looking forward to putting them to use.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

One more idea which might be a stretch....

TAKE ME WITH YOU!

We usually go 1-2x a year. Unfortunately, with a baby on the way and the wife wanting to go to Myrtle Beach camping earlier, we're out of time. Plus we were going to camp at Fort Wilderness at Disney in Oct. Now we're staying with her folks at a time share instead. Not looking forward to it with her being 7mo. pregnant. But we both want to take our son there for his first time, so we're still going.
    CARRY GUNS:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links