*SPOILERS* WARNING: "Shoot 'Em Up" is ANTI-GUN & maligns anyone pro-2A *SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS* WARNING: "Shoot 'Em Up" is ANTI-GUN & maligns anyone pro-2A *SPOILERS*

This is a discussion on *SPOILERS* WARNING: "Shoot 'Em Up" is ANTI-GUN & maligns anyone pro-2A *SPOILERS* within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Warning, read no further because this post and this thread will contain spoilers for the movie "Shoot 'Em Up." In fact, I'm about to lay ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Warning, read no further because this post and this thread will contain spoilers for the movie "Shoot 'Em Up." In fact, I'm about to lay bare the plot and some of the pivotal moments.

I just got back from seeing this piece of ludicrous garbage. Want to tell you about it, and why you should WITHHOLD YOUR MONEY.

We were all worrying that the Jodie Foster movie coming out next week might put an anti-gun cast on things, but really they sucker-punched us with "Shoot 'Em Up."

Of course, the hero, Mr. Smith (Clive Owen) is the guy who has no identity, but is the most bad-ass, super-fast, never-missin' killer in the city. He comes into the possession of a baby that he has just helped deliver, after assassins tracked down the mother and were trying to kill her.

Much of the film is spent with Smith trying to figure out who was trying to kill the mother and why, because she ends up dead in the first five minutes of the film.

Well, it turns out that the bad guys are in the employ of a guy named Hammerson, who owns a GUN MANUFACTURING COMPANY of the same name. He's got assassins (led by Paul Giammatti) who are out to kill these women who have been "baby farmed" in the hope that they can produce offspring whose bone marrow can be transplanted to this senator Rutledge who is terminally ill. Of course, the senator ends up cutting a deal with the evil gun maker to be a double agent: when he's elected president he will only fake being in favor of gun control, but will sabotage it, so that they'll let the only surviving baby live.

So when Smith gets the corrupted senator alone in the cargo hold of his own campaign jet, HE IS SO ANGRY THAT THE SENATOR SOLD OUT THE GUN-CONTROL MOVEMENT THAT HE EXECUTES HIM. (You read that right. He executes the guy, with a gun, for selling out gun control.)

The action sequences include Smith rappelling down a spiral staircase while somehow holding the gun he's firing in one hand, and the baby in the other; skydiving out of the senator's plane, pursued by a horde of evil guys who also have managed, like Smith, to find skydive gear just sitting around in the plane; ramming a van full of assassins head-on, launching himself into the van, stopping at the rear doors, and turning around to shoot all the assassins dead in surprise.

I can't begin to tell you how I wish I had not bothered to spend my money and time to see this movie.

The only thing that made it worthwhile was that I had the satisfaction of watching a piece of failed anti-gun propaganda while sitting there with my Glock on my hip.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Thanks for the warning. It was going to go on my rental list but not going to waste time
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Ouch!

I could feel my brain cells die off
    just reading the synopsis!

I expect there will be LOTS of
    anti gun movies for the next 2-3
    years to soften up the public for
    major anti-gun legislation.

--Travis--

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    wow! I was expecting a little bit of stupidity, but that's ridiculous. Thanks for the warning.

I can't believe he executes a senator for not pushing gun control... that perfectly illustrates the mindset of the rabid anti-gunners.

[edit]
    So, against my better judgement, I watched it... no, it didn't cost me anything, other than 2hrs of my life. That was the most retarded movie I think I have ever seen, and not just because it was incredibly anti-gun. If I may offer a few examples of ignorance and stupidity...

SPOILERS, naturally.

Why in the world would a gun be rendered inoperable after spending a few seconds underwater?

How does holding the hammer under a hand-dryer for a few seconds magically make the gun work?

Since when do Desert Eagles (even in .50AE) hold only 6 rounds and not lock the slide back after the last one?

And of course, they get a lot of milage out of the biometric thumbprint nonsense.

They bought a vest for the kid, but couldn't afford a $10 box of 9mm ammo?

OMG, the string operated guns were hilarious, even if he did finish it with a 2A crack.

And of course, another crack about preserving "the right to hunt deer with an Uzi."

But by far, the worst attrocity was Clive Owen sticking his hand in the fireplace with cartridges wedged between his fingers, and having them fire and kill the BG. Un-fricking-believable!

The lone good thing I saw was that he got 2 of the 4 rules right.
    Last edited by Bob The Great; September 9th, 2007 at 03:03 PM.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    So when Smith gets the corrupted senator alone in the cargo hold of his own campaign jet, HE IS SO ANGRY THAT THE SENATOR SOLD OUT THE GUN-CONTROL MOVEMENT THAT HE EXECUTES HIM. (You read that right. He executes the guy, with a gun, for selling out gun control.)
    Priceless irony... I might have to check that movie out, even though it looks horrible from the previews.

I will stay clear of that one.

88m
    Thanks you just saved me a couple bucks.
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    wow! I was expecting a little bit of stupidity, but that's ridiculous. Thanks for the warning.

I can't believe he executes a senator for not pushing gun control... that perfectly illustrates the mindset of the rabid anti-gunners.
    I mean, he has the guy bound, the guy is unarmed, and before he skydives out of some hatch in the side of the plane (itself ridiculous), he puts a bullet into the senator's forehead.

Forgetting about the fact that the senator character was a reprehensible cockroach, it was a pretty offensive scene.

The Palm Beach Post's cartoonist is this guy named Don Wright. Don Wright is a total pinko leftist, and it's clear in his cartoons. He's the kind of leftist who has no compunctions against using his bully pulpit to deride and malign anyone on the conservative side (heck, even the centrist side). The way his drawings depict certain demographics is as fat, misshapen, slack-jawed buffoons -- particularly gun owners. He draws us like retards. (Same with those he labels "Republicans" and especially Republican voters.)

Well, one time, after some gun issue came up (might have been Columbine), he drew a guy who was supposed to be a gun control supporter, talking to the audience. He was saying something like, "If the right-wing gun-lovers won't go along with our gun control proposals, there's only one thing we can do:" (next panel shows the guy holding a revolver pointed right at the reader) "We take them out!"

The implication is that gun-banners will be using GUNS to KILL US for not supporting gun control!! And the seriously sick thing is, this was NOT put across as an IRONIC comic; I think he really doesn't see the hypocrisy in suggesting that those who hate guns should use guns to kill those who appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Priceless irony... I might have to check that movie out, even though it looks horrible from the previews.
    No, seriously, I don't think it's worth anything unless you maybe sneak in for free.

In fact, I would like it if anyone who reads this forwards it on to any other gun group you're part of. We need to make the bottom drop out on this dumb movie. It's beyond insultingly stupid, believe me. And the fact that it's used to push gun control as a virtue, that just put it over the top. See, I knew the action would be far-fetched, but I didn't know that a movie that glorified what this guy could do with a gun would be used to condemn those who use guns.

I should mention that we never really find out who the guy is or what his background is. Paul Giammatti's character ("Mr. Hertz" - get it? ) conjectures out loud, prodding Smith to tell him if his guesses are on the mark. Hertz believes that Smith is the son of a gun manufacturer, who was some pistol shooting champ at age 10, who turned against guns because his family's business sold the twin shotguns that were used to murder his mother and someone, or some gobbledegook like that!

So go post this at Glocktalk or wherever you wish, please. We need to get gun owners to be alert to this, and not get suckered into financially supporting a movie that would be easily assumed to be gun-friendly. It's anything but that.

I was going to see it but not anymore. thanks.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Thanks, on my 'not to do list!'
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

thank you for the post. I appreciate it.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Well, one time, after some gun issue came up (might have been Columbine), he drew a guy who was supposed to be a gun control supporter, talking to the audience. He was saying something like, "If the right-wing gun-lovers won't go along with our gun control proposals, there's only one thing we can do:" (next panel shows the guy holding a revolver pointed right at the reader) "We take them out!"

The implication is that gun-banners will be using GUNS to KILL US for not supporting gun control!! And the seriously sick thing is, this was NOT put across as an IRONIC comic; I think he really doesn't see the hypocrisy in suggesting that those who hate guns should use guns to kill those who appreciate them.
    Whenever I get a clear glimpse into the mind of someone like that, it scares me. It makes me realize why they fear us so much. There was an article I read once (and I'm pretty sure it's been posted here) about phychological "projection" and how it says far more about the projector than it does the projectee. Nowhere is this clearer than among those violently (yes, violently) opposed to gun rights. This cartoonist, and evidently many others, actually believe that if they had a gun, they would kill anyone who disagreed with them. That is a sad state to exist in.

I should mention that we never really find out who the guy is or what his background is. Paul Giammatti's character ("Mr. Hertz" - get it? ) conjectures out loud, prodding Smith to tell him if his guesses are on the mark. Hertz believes that Smith is the son of a gun manufacturer, who was some pistol shooting champ at age 10, who turned against guns because his family's business sold the twin shotguns that were used to murder his mother and someone, or some gobbledegook like that!
    Don't forget that Hertz's only lead to that was that because Smith was so proficient with a gun, he must have "started young", and only a gun manufacturer would teach a child to shoot (the fiends).

Of course it was never explained why, if Smith was phobic about guns after selling the shotguns to his parent's murderer, why in the world would he then go join the military!?!

The writers wanted him to simultaneously have a tear-jerker anti-gun backstory and be a super-badass ninja commando. Not that that's any worse than the rest of the movie's ignorance...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    If I may offer a few examples of ignorance and stupidity...

... gun be rendered inoperable after spending a few seconds underwater
    ... holding the hammer under a hand-dryer for a few seconds magically make the gun work
    ... Desert Eagles (even in .50AE) hold only 6 rounds and not lock the slide back after the last one
    ... They bought a vest for the kid, but couldn't afford a $10 box of 9mm ammo?
    ... And of course, another crack about preserving "the right to hunt deer with an Uzi."
    ...But by far, the worst attrocity was Clive Owen sticking his hand in the fireplace with cartridges wedged between his fingers, and having them fire and kill the BG. Un-fricking-believable!

The lone good thing I saw was that he got 2 of the 4 rules right.
    I am amused by the fact that we noticed the same exact problems, 1-to-1!

It was still at a point where they hadn't gone anti-gun with the dialog/plot, when Smith was talking to the newborn infant about gun safety. He actually tells him about the manual safety, but says, "This is your most important safety," and flexes his index finger! I was happy about that. A short while later, I was disgusted with the movie and came near to walking out.

One of the only reasons I stayed was to be able to report back to you all here.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Thanks for the review. I had no intention of going to the theater to see this thing, but I may have considered renting it from Blockbuster in a few months. Now, I won't even consider wasting one of my free rentals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links