Another opportunity to “Ask the Experts” - gun on a boat - FL

This is a discussion on Another opportunity to “Ask the Experts” - gun on a boat - FL within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was chatting with a friend last night and he asked me a question that I just knew could be answered here. This friend owns ...

Thread: Another opportunity to “Ask the Experts” - gun on a boat - FL

Another opportunity to “Ask the Experts” - gun on a boat - FL

I was chatting with a friend last night and he asked me a question that I just knew could be answered here. This friend owns and operates a deep-water fishing charter service in Florida.

We got onto the subject of carrying and he stated that he always takes a .22 on the boat with him but he is often worried about what would happen if the Coast Guard ever checked him and found the gun. So the question is… is it legal for him to have the gun on the boat?

I have not researched this but my gut feeling is that it is ok because it is ok to carry a gun in your car without a CCW in FL. I am the first to admit that I know nothing about boating and operating in Federal waters.
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

2. Remove Ads

INAL, but I beleive that your ability to have a weapon w/o a CCW permit in your FL home, your vehicle, and your boat...are all treated in the same manner...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Florida Statue 790.25 allows you to carry a firearm on a boat, so long as the firearm is "securely encased":

(l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person's manual possession;

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...atuteYear=2005
    See also Jon Gutmacher, Florida Firearms pp 77-78.

But.....

Remember that the Florida laws don't govern if you boat into a national park, or offshore far enough to hit international waters.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Well, let's see if twelve years of experience still works. You are in state waters out to, I believe, three miles then you are in federal waters where federal laws apply. Always had loaded firearms on board. Coasties were usually, but not always, very proffessional about it. They asked if I had any, I said yes, they asked where, I told 'em, they ran serial #s to make sure not stolen, unloaded and returned when they left. Occasionally got rude remarks but nothing serious. Sometimes they pull everything out of lockers and make a heck of a mess and sometimes they don't.

State police marine patrol have never asked and never come on board. They always want paper work, safety items then smile and go on their merry way.

Customs/DEA teams are all too often very confrontational in general demanding to know why I have a loaded weapon. I always smile and tell them because an empty one isn't much good for defense! They also run numbers, unload etc. Then go on with their usual third degree attitude and pull everything out of the lockers.

Only places you stay out of state waters is wonderful places like NJ, NY and Mass on the east coast.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

If you're in international waters, I believe it is common practice to carry small arms as protection against pirates. Not sure about the legality of this, or who it would fall under for jurisdiction.

Austin

Believe it or not, I've actually met divers who carried a Glock modified to shoot underwater. I kid you not...

When I dove, it was often 30+ miles offshore, and none of the captains I knew would even consider being unarmed....

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    In international waters, the international police have jurisdiction...
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    If you're in international waters, I believe it is common practice to carry small arms as protection against pirates. Not sure about the legality of this, or who it would fall under for jurisdiction.

Austin
    It can get a little hazy. If you're a USA documented vessel, as opposed to state registration, then you are legally a little piece of America anywhere in the world. Still in international waters things can be fairly wide open. I've known commercial vessels with USA documentation and captains operating in international and foreign waters in, shall we say, dicey places that carried full auto weaponry and in one case some anti tank rockets. Got well paid and nobody was asking questions.

I've known some cruising sailors who also had some interesting hardware but were very careful to make sure they didn't bring said hardware back into US waters (That's not a grenade launcher, it's just a very large flare gun that happens to handle these other very cool shells!). You can, and usually are, boarded by the dreaded Customs/DEA/Coast Guard teams anywhere in the world, even the USN carries some of them these days. Outside of US waters there isn't a lot they can say about most weapons despite their opinions of them. Checking into foreign customs can raise some eyebrows but everything is usually locked up with the local police until you leave.

Piracy in much of the world is really not a threat and the bad areas are well documented and easy enough to avoid. It's the small time thieves and opportunists who seem to be in anyplace that you might have to deal with, just like land. While most boaters never have to face it I remember one guy who delivered a 25mm white phosphorus flare (they don't lock up safety equipment in foreign ports) into the face of a declared rapist/robber at about 3 feet. Rather effective.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    How far do our borders go into the waters. I remember vacationing in Biloxi Miss. and hiring a charter fishing boat. We would fish around a cival war fort on an island. The captain had a 357 aboard. He used it to kill one of the sharks that I caught because it was too big to drag aboard alive.

We also carry a gun on board. You never know who you might run up against. There are times that there will be no law enforcement to help you. It's a good place for a SS mini 14. I can see no problems while in US or International waters.

Links