Closing an interesting day.....

This is a discussion on Closing an interesting day..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK, major rambling so hold on. After my earlier incident with the pizza idiot, I had to go to work for several hours at the ...

VIP Member

OK, major rambling so hold on.

After my earlier incident with the pizza idiot, I had to go to work for several hours at the request of my boss even though I am on vacation. Today we were going to do an evacuation drill and the theme was terrorism. Some bad guys go in the hotel (not where I work but one from the same group) and create all kinds of mischief & hostage situation. Local PD's SWAT team was called in and I had the dubious honor to check a truck for possible explosives before any PD arrived.

There was a timeframe for the excercise and people were getting antsy. They kept asking where the stuff was going to start and I kept telling them we do not determine time, the BGs did. The Boss got us to patrol the building and as I was coming down in the elevator I heard gunshot-like detonations.And to make things even more fun, the darn elevetor stops in the floor where the attack happened. As the door opened I get a glance of one of the BGs going by but he does not see me. I take a very quick peek outside and see three of them going down the hall and four people simulating casualties (with blood & and all) on the ground.
    You know when they say one side of your brain is saying one thing and the other side says another thing? I had one going through the evacuation checklist: where to send guests, where to send employees, my assigend post afterward, etc. The other side however is analyzing wht my eyes are seeing: The BGs, The NoShoots, BG 1 is close enough for a perfect headshot and even though he is in the inside of the pie, he is too close and partially blocks the view of the other two, the other two are at shoulder to shoulder so tactical sequence, I have good hard cover inside the elevator and and empty downrange so I don't have to worry about shoot-throughs.

Of course, duty is first in this excercise so I punch the lobby button and go to do my thing without being detected by the BGs. As I am going down, I am thinking, "What if this was not an excercise but the real McCoy?" And it hits me that I am not carrying a weapon. It was the nastiest, stomach dropping feelings I had in a while. SHTF and not having the tool that might save my life? Hell no!

As the excercised progressed, I hear over the radio that one of our officers is down with a simualted gutshot. And I swear the guy could be an actor by the way he came on the radio pleading for his life and whatnots. He did a good job of providing a description of the BGs but he ended up as a simulated kill. That made me analyze even more about not having a weapon if the thing went for real. A difference could have been made if I had a gun and could have engaged the BGs from the advantage position I had. Again, I am running a What If scenario in my head and I am well aware that this situation with the advantage I had will never be repeated but still...

An eye-opening day through and therough. Still chewing all these.

PS: SWAT got the BGs. Full Man on Man with Airsofts. Pretty cool
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Very good insight Miggy,

Good training for your hotel. Can you carry at work?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Very cool indeed.

Can you carry at work legally and if so are you permitted to take the BG's out if you have the chance? Sounds like you had the drop on three of them.

Having your new found feelings of being unarmed and helpless... what are your plans for the future?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    Corporate policy prohibits any type of weapon including batons, knives, pepper spray and the lot. Anything that can even be though of as defensive is verbotten. About the only thing I can use to defend myself is a motorola radio either to call for back up or (again, forbidden) as impact weapon. I carry a Gerber multitool because it is seen more as a tool than weapon and a Boker subcom knife because the size is unimpressive and the bosses tend to "ignore" it as long as it is out of view.

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    Very cool indeed.
    Having your new found feelings of being unarmed and helpless... what are your plans for the future?
    Like I said, I am still chewing on this one. Praying that I'll be lucky enough not to be around when SHTF is an option. The Boker is basically my only weapon but I am not Steve Tarani so I would have to be very lucky if I have to use it and then only against one guy, if there are 2 or more Momma's boy is in deep kaka.

We could say I am caught between the hard rock of company policy and the hard place of a possible attack. The probability of an attack of that magnitude is low but there is always other types of attack that we have a better chance of face: Disgruntled former amployee, Active Shooter/Mass Murderer, Armed Robery, etc.

Again, still chewing!
    Randy Cain.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I notice that you have a little revo there. What would the ramifications be if you did have it and took the shot that took the BG down? I don't think I would want to take on the 3 BG's with the little revo, but the headshot oppertunity you had would have been ideal.

Fired i'm sure, but in my mind it would be worth it to save some lives.

Thoughts?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Assistant Administrator
    Sad Miggy that ''proceedure'' is your only allocated option - and certainly this drill was an eye-opener with regard to having to be unarmed.

Pity that as a bona fide CCW you cannot be discretely armed - makes a lotta sense (to us of course!).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I share Chris' sentiments in that it is a shame that he is not able to carry despite being a bona fide permitee.

To add another twist, is the building marked prohibited carry or is there statue in your state the forbids carry. If the answer is no, the issues because even more silly. You now have three types of people in the facility. BG's, Customers (could be bad or good) and you have hotel staff (including those considered security). Who is most likely to be of help to your clients? The answer is, the other clients. The staff and therefore the company is the least prepared to deal with the situation, yet they find it necessary to hold drills so that the staff is prepared for the situation.

On one hand you have the company acknowledging that events like the one drilled could occur, yet the company has policies that basically nullify their ability to ADEQUATELY deal with the situation.

I wonder what the clients of this fine establishment would think if they knew staff was as helpless as they are.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    No posting anywhere, I think it is not valid in Florida at all. At the most a visitor can only be asked to leave and then trespassed if he refuses. Allegedly not even guests are allowed to have weapons in the hotel but it is a rule almost never enforced.
    Randy Cain.

Links