Mexican police caught buying guns in US

This is a discussion on Mexican police caught buying guns in US within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...s_N.htm?csp=34 Mexican officers arrested at gun show PHOENIX (AP) Three high-ranking Mexican police officers were arrested on allegations of buying weapons and ammunition at ...

Thread: Mexican police caught buying guns in US

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Mexican police caught buying guns in US

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...s_N.htm?csp=34

Mexican officers arrested at gun show
    PHOENIX (AP) Three high-ranking Mexican police officers were arrested on allegations of buying weapons and ammunition at a gun show in Phoenix in violation of a law barring non-citizens from purchasing firearms, a U.S. official said Wednesday.

The three had crossed the border at Calexico, Calif., in an official police vehicle and driven to Phoenix, said Tom Mangan, a spokesman with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Police and federal agents arrested them after the three bought three guns and about 450 rounds of ammunition Saturday at the gun show, Mangan said.

It appeared the officers were buying the handguns for their personal use, he said.

Booked on state weapons misconduct and conspiracy were Carlos Alberto Flores, 36, a Baja California state police director; Baja State Police Commander Guillermo Valle Medina, 33; and Jose Santos Cortes Gonzalez, 41, a federal police commander in Baja California.

Flores and Cortes posted $2,000 bond each and were released from jail, and Valle was released on personal recognizance, Mangan said.

A woman who answered the telephone in Flores' office in Mexicali said he was still in charge but not in the office or available for comment. Alejandra Borquez, a spokeswoman for the Mexican state's Office of Public Safety, said she had not heard of the arrests.

Local police and Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents monitoring the gun show overheard Gonzalez negotiating with a dealer for two guns, then watched as he bought them, according to a police report. Gonzalez and Flores met up with Valle and continued buying ammunition and gun supplies before leaving, the report states.

Police stopped their vehicle after they left the gun show, according to the report.

Mangan said Mexican officials have been pressuring U.S. officials to cut off the supply of weapons going south.

"It is ironic we are receiving a great deal of criticism regarding our efforts to stem the tide of illegal weapons, and then we have three law enforcement officers trying to buy weapons here," Mangan said.

Licensed dealers in Arizona must check identification documents and run background checks, but private sellers operate without those rules.

The guns were bought from a private seller, Mangan said.
    Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Gee, it couldn't be that the ATF is putting undercover officers in all of the gun shows could it?
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    Released??

I doubt these numbnuts will appear in any U.S. Court now that they are out.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Currently there is a war raging between the Mexican Federal Police and the cartels sending drugs through our borders. The Mexican police are hopelessly outgunned in this fight. We are arresting the wrong people.

Were these gentlemen really "police" officers? One has to wonder whose side these guys are really on if they were essentially buying untraceable weapons once they got back to mexico

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Currently there is a war raging between the Mexican Federal Police and the cartels sending drugs through our borders. The Mexican police are hopelessly outgunned in this fight. We are arresting the wrong people.

Seeing as there has been a good deal of evidence pointing to the Federal Police aiding the cartels, it seems that they have managed to arrest some of the right people. Not to mention the fact that it is Mexico's firearms restrictions keeping them undergunned.

one of two scenarios here

#1, A "Bloomberg-esque" straw purchase to prove that these guys can buy guns and bring them to Mexico...

#2, These guys need hardware for back home because they are getting their butts handed to them by the drug cartels...

Also.. even a private seller has to be sure that an alien, illegal or legal has the ability to purchase a firearm, illegal aliens are explicitly forbidden, while there are exceptions for legal alliens, even non-immigrant aliens... had these guys simply purchased a hunting license or if they were on official LEO business here in the USA they would have been exempt from the non-immigrant restrictions.

VIP Member
    Great....now they'll be calling to close the 'gun show loop-hole'....

The guns were bought from a private seller
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Sponsor
    the Mexican police are hopelessly outgunned in this fight. We are arresting the wrong people.

I think if they broke US law, we are arresting the right people myself. Next thing you know, the federali's will be buying guns enmasse from private US citizens if they think they can skirt/take advantage of OUR rights to buy privately from one another.

They don't have the rights we have as US citizens. Nor should they. If they want to have the same rights I have, then they can apply for immigration to the US and live here, pay taxes here and become productive citizens before they can share any rights I have here.

Who do these people think they are? Oh wait, I know what too many think-they think they can use our system to their advantage, and in fact they get away with it every day here in the southwest.

200,000 illegals march on Phoenix, and the border patrol, state and local LE's are told hands off and not to arrest them like they have the same rights I enjoy [ freedom of speech among others ]. Thats one of the ways this country is going downhill fast-----------

Those who have no LEGAL rights here think they do and the govt is allowing this to continue. Sad day for all Americans when our own laws are bypassed for illegals in this country.

Perhaps others not so close to the border miss the news almost monthly about federali's shooting at border agents as well. It's entirely possible those guns would be used to try to kill our border agents or citizens watching the borders. The federali's are part of the problem with getting illegals into this country. The mexican govt admits it puts pamphlets out to it's citizens to help them cross the borders undetected into the US. The mexican govt is part of the problem as well here.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    The Mexican police are hopelessly outgunned in this fight. We are arresting the wrong people.
    1. I doubt anything they buy in a gun show would help.
    2. If they broke the law we are arresting the right people.
    3. If they are willing to break this law, might they be part of the drug problem?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    the Mexican police are hopelessly outgunned in this fight. We are arresting the wrong people.

I think if they broke US law, we are arresting the right people myself. Next thing you know, the federali's will be buying guns enmasse from private US citizens if they think they can skirt/take advantage of OUR rights to buy privately from one another.

They don't have the rights we have as US citizens. Nor should they. If they want to have the same rights I have, then they can apply for immigration to the US and live here, pay taxes here and become productive citizens before they can share any rights I have here.

Who do these people think they are? Oh wait, I know what too many think-they think they can use our system to their advantage, and in fact they get away with it every day here in the southwest.

200,000 illegals march on Phoenix, and the border patrol, state and local LE's are told hands off and not to arrest them like they have the same rights I enjoy [ freedom of speech among others ]. Thats one of the ways this country is going downhill fast-----------

Those who have no LEGAL rights here think they do and the govt is allowing this to continue. Sad day for all Americans when our own laws are bypassed for illegals in this country.

Perhaps others not so close to the border miss the news almost monthly about federali's shooting at border agents as well. It's entirely possible those guns would be used to try to kill our border agents or citizens watching the borders. The federali's are part of the problem with getting illegals into this country. The mexican govt admits it puts pamphlets out to it's citizens to help them cross the borders undetected into the US. The mexican govt is part of the problem as well here.

Brownie
    1++++++
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

"...Mangan said Mexican officials have been pressuring U.S. officials to cut off the supply of weapons going south...."

Mmmmm...I believe their own police force could help them with that request!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    "...Mangan said Mexican officials have been pressuring U.S. officials to cut off the supply of weapons going south...."

Mmmmm...I believe their own police force could help them with that request!
    Looks that way doesn't it retsupt99?

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Links