oh come on now

This is a discussion on oh come on now within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.knbc.com/news/14098267/detail.html Kids Told To Remove Tiny Rifles From Graduation Caps RANCHO PALOS VERDES, Calif. -- Cornerstone Elementary School will review its zero-tolerance policy toward guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh come on now

oh come on now

http://www.knbc.com/news/14098267/detail.html

Kids Told To Remove Tiny Rifles From Graduation Caps

RANCHO PALOS VERDES, Calif. -- Cornerstone Elementary School will review its zero-tolerance policy toward guns on campus this fall after fifth-graders were told to remove weapons from the hands of toy soldiers that festooned their graduation caps.

"We don't want to repeat mistakes or offend people," Walker Williams, superintendent of the Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District, told the Daily Breeze."We didn't intend to offend."

The school principal, Denis Leonard, did not want to talk to the newspaper.
    Click here to find out more!

Glen Nakata, the father of fifth-grader Austin, met with Williams and district officials in July to discuss the policy.

"I'm glad they're taking these steps," he told the Daily Breeze.

A lawyer for the National Rifle Association, Chuck Michel of Long Beach, suggested district officials had taken the policy to a ludicrous extreme.

"This school district recognizes that they don't have any reason for doing this," he told the Daily Breeze.

About 10 years ago, a teacher at Cornerstone started what is now a tradition: having youngsters decorate their graduation mortar boards to illustrate what they might do in the future.
    Talk about taking things way to far sheesh!
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That is one of the silliest things I've heard
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    the whole idea of "zero tolerance" is a sham. stories like this just prove how out of control the whole idea is.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    wow...and i thought it was bad 8 years ago when I was in school... apparently it's just getting worse!

This age of zero tolerance and political correctness can only last so long... eventually the public will realize that it's all a sham and hopefully it'll stop.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Senior Moderator
    I've got zero tolerance for idiot superintendents and teachers that enact zero tolerance. Zero tolerance just means that common sense is left completely out of the equation....and this article is proof.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Zero tollerance must mean that the teachers and administrators have zero tollerance for using their brains.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Explain something to me please.

The school shootings and kids bringing guns to school we've all heard about. It is worrisome and can be a serious problem. Apparently these experiences have caused school administrations/laws to declare a gun-free area at schools. Now the pendelum has swung even further and kids get in trouble if they talk about a gun, draw a picture of a gun, or have a tiny gun icon at school.

When I was a kid in high school (late 60's) we guys talked about guns at school, checked out hunting books from the library, read gun magazines, etc. In younger school days we even drew "battle scenes" on notebook paper, drew pictures of guns and military aircraft, read combat-type comic books. So with all that background, I've never had the inclination to shoot someone, never fantisized over it, never brought a gun to school, never even thought about doing it. So today, I'm just a regular guy.....never been arrested, not a serial killer, or whatever.

So what's gone wrong? Myself and friends were immersed in guns/shooting as youths, everyone turned out fine. What is affecting these kids to actually shoot classmates, or kids bringing guns to school as if they were toys. Is it video games? (I really don't think so, we had very realistic cap-pistol battles) Is is tv? (I really don't think so, we had cowboy shoot-em-ups, detective shows, and remember Combat?). Is it parenting? (I'm thinking this could be a big factor in some cases). Is it music? (I don't really know what they listen too, though I've heard it can be vulgar). Is it news media? (Widespread 24hrs/day reporting of school shootings causing other kids to "copycat" the idea?)

As I mentioned the school shootings and guns at school have caused the wide pendelum swing, but why do you think that kids have started shooting kids at school, when at one time I would say that it was never heard of. What changed?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Explain something to me please.

The school shootings and kids bringing guns to school we've all heard about. It is worrisome and can be a serious problem. Apparently these experiences have caused school administrations/laws to declare a gun-free area at schools. Now the pendelum has swung even further and kids get in trouble if they talk about a gun, draw a picture of a gun, or have a tiny gun icon at school.

When I was a kid in high school (late 60's) we guys talked about guns at school, checked out hunting books from the library, read gun magazines, etc. In younger school days we even drew "battle scenes" on notebook paper, drew pictures of guns and military aircraft, read combat-type comic books. So with all that background, I've never had the inclination to shoot someone, never fantisized over it, never brought a gun to school, never even thought about doing it. So today, I'm just a regular guy.....never been arrested, not a serial killer, or whatever.

So what's gone wrong? Myself and friends were immersed in guns/shooting as youths, everyone turned out fine. What is affecting these kids to actually shoot classmates, or kids bringing guns to school as if they were toys. Is it video games? (I really don't think so, we had very realistic cap-pistol battles) Is is tv? (I really don't think so, we had cowboy shoot-em-ups, detective shows, and remember Combat?). Is it parenting? (I'm thinking this could be a big factor in some cases). Is it music? (I don't really know what they listen too, though I've heard it can be vulgar). Is it news media? (Widespread 24hrs/day reporting of school shootings causing other kids to "copycat" the idea?)

As I mentioned the school shootings and guns at school have caused the wide pendelum swing, but why do you think that kids have started shooting kids at school, when at one time I would say that it was never heard of. What changed?
    Our entire society as a whole has changed. We (not us, but the vast majority) no longer take personal responsibility for our actions. We no longer properly punish a person that has done things contrary to our laws, of which many are based on a more/less moral code. We expect everything "free" of charge or rather we've begun to punish the producers and lift up the looters and moochers of the world. I'm going to reference an email I recently wrote to Walter Williams(Professor of Economics at George Mason University and world renouned economist). Many may not see the relevance of a relationship between our current economic situations and kids, guns, schools and zero tolerance , I however, do.
    Apple, the next Rearden Metal!

Will slave-whipping moochers ever cease? It sounds like something right out of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. I reference the following CNN article regarding the Apple iPhone "rebate" fiasco: http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/06/tech...ney_topstories. Apple created a product, marketed it, and sold it. Consumers made an agreement with Apple and they exchanged value for goods and services that they both agreed upon. Now, some 2 or 3 months after the iPhone was released, Apple has lowered their prices in what I would assume be an effort to make it a more attractive and marketable buy for more consumers (thereby getting themselves more business). It makes sense, right?

Apparently it doesn't to some. Now all the folks that AGREED to a price and paid it are screaming bloody murder about Apple reducing their prices yesterday and those same folks are demanding a partial refund. APPLE CAVED!
    These folks are like all the moochers in Atlas Shrugged. They play off of their weapon of guilt in an attempt to take value from the producers of the world. We all need to let Apple know that they were in the right the first time around and they need not cave in to petty looters and moochers.
    It's the same basic premise in all facets of life. Everyone wants something for nothing. Everyone blames someone or something else for their own problems, most of which were caused directly or indirectly by themselves. No one does, nor do they want to take responsibility for their own actions or lack thereof.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Assistant Administrator
    I keep thinking examples of zero tolerance have bottomed out - yet again I am wrong.

So absurd as to laughable - and yet of course there is nothing funny about it all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Want more absurd???
    The War On Deadly Mascots

Roanoke Times

Buena Vista`s Parry McCluer High School has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to guns on campus. That policy became ludicrous when school officials disarmed their mascot, a flintlock-wielding pirate lost his weapons in a new logo.

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/wb/wb/xp-131653
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

And these people Actually see themselves as Advanced Forward Thinkers....

Can you believe that? Wow... more like "Pinheads" if you ask me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Our entire society as a whole has changed. We (not us, but the vast majority) no longer take personal responsibility for our actions............It's the same basic premise in all facets of life. Everyone wants something for nothing. Everyone blames someone or something else for their own problems, most of which were caused directly or indirectly by themselves. No one does, nor do they want to take responsibility for their own actions or lack thereof.
    I couldn't agree more.....check my signature because I have been saying this for a while.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

VIP Member
    Maybe it would help if we called zero tolerance by its right name and quit letting the PC crowd define the language. We don't need a new term like "zero tolerance" we have and have had for centuries a perfectly good word to express what is meant by "zero tolerance." That word is: INTOLERANCE!!!!!!! Zero tolerance sounds so much more refined than the real word for it.

It is also amazing that the same people who proclaim "zero tolerance" for certain things like guns, individual responsibility, etc. are the very ones who scream that we should be tolerant of all sorts of other things like illegals in our country, terrorists, pedophiles, and all sorts of aberrant behavior. These people are tolerant of anything that is working to destroy our country and INTOLERANT of anything that would improve it. Kind of makes you wonder doesn't it?
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    +1 George
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    *fingers in ears*

hum hum guns don't exist guns don't exist hum hum

I work in a small rural school in Central Florida...at least we have not lost ALL common sense...there is still some tolerance for stupid kids who make stupid mistakes...weren't we all stupid kids at one time?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links