Man, 81, drops gun in synagogue; three shot

This is a discussion on Man, 81, drops gun in synagogue; three shot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5132112.html Man, 81, drops gun in synagogue; three shot TOOLS Email Get section feed Print Subscribe NOW Comments Recommend DALLAS An 81-year-old man accidentally ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man, 81, drops gun in synagogue; three shot

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5132112.html

TOOLS
    Email

Get section feed
    Print

Subscribe NOW
    Comments

Recommend

DALLAS An 81-year-old man accidentally dropped a handgun during Rosh Hashanah services at a temple, and the weapon shot his daughter in the foot and injured two other people.

Marvin Marks accidentally dropped the gun when he stood up at the synagogue Wednesday evening, police said. The bullet struck his 42-year-old daughter, who was hospitalized with non-threatening injuries. Two other people suffered minor scrapes from the bullet.

Police said Marks was licensed to carry the gun.

Calls to police seeking further details weren't immediately returned Thursday.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

I hate it when an incident like this gets publicized.

curious

What kind of gun was it that happened to go off, and how was he carrying it in order to drop it by standing up?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    "What kind of gun was it that happened to go off, and how was he carrying it in order to drop it by standing up?"

The news media cares not a whit about that. The gun went off...that's the only thing they care about.
    I hate to say it but he was probably either fooling around with it or he dropped it and tried to catch it on its way down.
    Neither of those two possibilities being something that he would care to admit.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

probably needs to carry it in a holster....or a better holster.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Shooting

I agree, someone in the family should check out the guy for everyone's safety

I think the problem is that he is 81 !!!! Maybe time for some safety refresher courses...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    that's gotta be embarassing. I'm curious about how he was carrying as well. I've never been anywhere close to losing retention on my gun by standing up in church.

Old gun?

Without all the facts we are just speculating, but given the age of the man who dropped the gun, perhaps it was an old gun without a trigger block safety. 99% of handguns won't discharge if they are dropped, even if they land on the hammer. But older guns often lacked the safety devices found on most guns today.

Do you think that an 81 year old Jew taking a gun to his place of worship,might have experienced something in his youth that made him decide that he needed to protect his family? Too bad the gun fell and discharged, but there must be a real story that lead to this.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I feel for the old guy...at least he HAD a gun.

FW(little)IW, I bet never happens to him again!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

81 yr old drops gun, gun fires, folks are injured. And that's it, as if the mere fact of the gun's presence is all that's needed for a wholesale impeachment of guns in general.

This is all somewhat speculative, in advance of any facts at all, given the paucity of details from that terse article. No mention, of course, of the negligence of having a firearm/holster combination that could come loose, or the negligent fidgeting that unholstered the firearm, or the lack of forethought to acquire a gun that didn't have a stellar record through test trials to prove it wouldn't fire when dropped, etc.

Same old sad, tired, minimalist reporting that points to the gun as a demon as a foregone conclusion, irrespective of the negligence or criminality involved with the person carrying it. The man had a gun, and look what happend. Seemingly, that's all the reporter believed had to be said in order to state the "whole truth" of the situation. Sad, indeed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thank GOD! no one was killed or seriously injured, an 81 yr old has no business carring a gun or driving a car, I'm 50 and pray that I have enough sense to no better. There's a point when your a danger to yourself and more importantly to others.
    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding cititzens should also have guns.Otherwise they will win and the decent people will loss.''
    -James Earl Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by ultralite View Post
    ... an 81 yr old has no business carring a gun or driving a car, I'm 50 and pray that I have enough sense to no better. There's a point when your a danger to yourself and more importantly to others.
    You sir are completely WRONG. It is ability, not age, that determines the appropriateness of the responsibility undertaken, be it carrying a gun or driving. Now it may seem this man's ability is NOT up to the task but I would think an 81 year old man is a pretty attractive target for a criminal. Being unlikely to win any physical conflict his having a gun is all the more appropriate.

If he bought the gun as a young man, it might be a flintlock. I've NEVER trusted the safeties on a flintlock.

Has anyone seen my vent-pick?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links