Non-gun issue alert from CSGV

This is a discussion on Non-gun issue alert from CSGV within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Whenever I see the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence issue a political alert, I immediately look to the opposite side of the coin. This, however, ...

Thread: Non-gun issue alert from CSGV

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Non-gun issue alert from CSGV

Whenever I see the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence issue a political alert, I immediately look to the opposite side of the coin. This, however, baffles me. What am I missing? Why is an anti-gun organization championing this cause? Where is the threat to gun owners?

I'm all for D.C. citizens getting their representation in Congress (actually I think Congress should give Virginia and Maryland their land back).
    -----------------------------

September 13, 2007

ACTION ALERT
    Tell Your Senator to Vote for the DC House Voting Rights Act!

For decades, the people of the District of Columbia have been denied a basic democratic right—voting representation in the U.S. Congress. Next week, our legislators can take a dramatic step in correcting that injustice.

On Tuesday, September 18, the "DC House Voting Rights Act of 2007," S. 1257, faces a critical vote in the U.S. Senate. The bill has already been passed by the House of Representatives, but the Senate vote looks like a close call. The people of the District of Columbia need your help to make sure the bill is approved and sent to the President for his signature.

DC Vote is hosting the second National Call-in Day for DC Voting Rights on Monday, September 17. Using the toll-free number, 1-866-346-3008, please call your Senators between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. EST on Monday and voice your support for S. 1257. Please also tell your Senators to vote for cloture if there is an attempt to filibuster the bill!

S. 1257 would end the historic violation of the civil rights of nearly 600,000 Americans by granting the District a voting representative in Congress for the first time ever. Please take a few minutes of your time on Monday to support democracy and give the people of the District the voice they have long sought on Capitol Hill.

P.S. Don't forget to tell family and friends to call in as well!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Whenever I see the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence issue a political alert, I immediately look to the opposite side of the coin. This, however, baffles me. What am I missing? Why is an anti-gun organization championing this cause? Where is the threat to gun owners?

I'm all for D.C. citizens getting their representation in Congress (actually I think Congress should give Virginia and Maryland their land back).
    -----------------------------

September 13, 2007

ACTION ALERT
    Tell Your Senator to Vote for the DC House Voting Rights Act!

For decades, the people of the District of Columbia have been denied a basic democratic right—voting representation in the U.S. Congress. Next week, our legislators can take a dramatic step in correcting that injustice.

On Tuesday, September 18, the "DC House Voting Rights Act of 2007," S. 1257, faces a critical vote in the U.S. Senate. The bill has already been passed by the House of Representatives, but the Senate vote looks like a close call. The people of the District of Columbia need your help to make sure the bill is approved and sent to the President for his signature.

DC Vote is hosting the second National Call-in Day for DC Voting Rights on Monday, September 17. Using the toll-free number, 1-866-346-3008, please call your Senators between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. EST on Monday and voice your support for S. 1257. Please also tell your Senators to vote for cloture if there is an attempt to filibuster the bill!

S. 1257 would end the historic violation of the civil rights of nearly 600,000 Americans by granting the District a voting representative in Congress for the first time ever. Please take a few minutes of your time on Monday to support democracy and give the people of the District the voice they have long sought on Capitol Hill.

P.S. Don't forget to tell family and friends to call in as well!
    Emphasis added:
    We don't want it or them...Maryland can have it. DC's like the plague...we don't want it...edit:

Just realized my original ending statement referenced an actual atrocity in US history...smallpox.....oops. Sorry no offense was intended.
    Last edited by packinnova; September 13th, 2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Self Censorship?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

"[Congress shall have the power] To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings" Article 1, Section 8, U.S. Constitution (http://www.archives.gov/national-arc...ranscript.html)

"New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress." Article 4, Section 3. U.S. Constitution (http://www.archives.gov/national-arc...ranscript.html)

So, just as soon as we get all of this done, I'll consider giving D.C. voting rights. However, they can't deal with the problems they have now, why violate the Constitution and heap more problems onto a poorly run District.

Guess what...no one is forcing anyone to live in D.C.--they choose to. Their civil rights are NOT being violated--they elected these idiots to "represent" them.

"For decades, the people of the District of Columbia have been denied a basic democratic rights "voting representation in the U.S. Congress"--because that is what the Founding Fathers wanted you ninnys.

They should be told they can get voting rights after they recognize the U.S Constitution (including ALL of the Bill of Rights) and follow the procedure outlined in the Constitution. They do not deserve anything, except what they elected into office.

Edited to add: In fact, just to prove the point, Congress should dissolve the entire city government, get rid of the DCMPD and give U.S. Capitol Police the jurisdiction. Every felony turns into a federal felony and is handled accordingly (I would start with the DCMPD); send the kids to schools in MD; level all dilapidated buildings. Turn all maintenance over to U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Yeah--I have no love for D.C.
    Last edited by SIGguy229; September 13th, 2007 at 09:45 PM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Besides the fact that it would need basically an amended Constitution to give them the right to vote, I'm kinda glad they don't have suffrage now.

I'd even go so far as to say that universal suffrage can be a bad thing.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    The reason the csgv would want DC to have voting rights is two more senators and at least one congressman who will be democrats and who will likely support any anti-gun agenda pushed by the csgv. Given DC's electoral history this is a safe bet. So of course they would like to see more anti-gun folks elected. That is the link to guns.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

(quote by paramedic70002)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    The reason the csgv would want DC to have voting rights is two more senators and at least one congressman who will be democrats and who will likely support any anti-gun agenda pushed by the csgv. Given DC's electoral history this is a safe bet. So of course they would like to see more anti-gun folks elected. That is the link to guns.

They obviously want to more anti's added to the voting power...that can't be good.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't think it would be fair to let vote. They aren't real people, just peons serving congress etc.. They can't have guns so how can they really be free? Since they aren't Americans, they don't count. I think those 600,000 people should move out of DC if they want to vote. Screw them.

Austin

Links