Saw the movie "Shoot 'em Up"

Saw the movie "Shoot 'em Up"

This is a discussion on Saw the movie "Shoot 'em Up" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got out of work early yesterday, and my roommate and I decided that we wanted to catch a movie at the nice theatre in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Thumbs up Saw the movie "Shoot 'em Up"

I got out of work early yesterday, and my roommate and I decided that we wanted to catch a movie at the nice theatre in town. We were torn between the Bourne Ultimatum and Shoot 'em Up, and Bourne didn't start for at least three more hours - Shoot 'em Up it was. I've gotta tell you guys that I haven't laughed that hard at a movie in years. Suspend disbelief as soon as the lights go out, and you will not be disappointed. There are many different firefights in the movie, and I can't even choose a favorite. Be aware, however, that this is R rated. There is some nudity, sexual innuendo/content, mention and brief glimpses of fetish/bdsm practices, and of course, utterly vile language - so it's all good.

Seriously, go see this movie - but don't bring the kids. Or your grandmother. In fact, go with your shooting buddies - you won't regret it.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    According to PeacefulJeffrey it was anti 2a...did you get that impression?
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Yes, to a point. The plot revolved around an anti-gun politician who was then martyred, and thus his "legacy" of gun control lived on. However, in spite of this, I liked the movie. Lots of movies that were intrinsically watchable and enjoyable, with great action and funny moments, have had politically biased writers, directors, and producers. Take a look at the Lethal Weapon movies - totally anti NRA and 2A, but extremely popular and watchable movies. I stand by my assertion that if you like action movies and have the capability to suspend disbelief (and thus ignore the gun control diatribes of the film, because they are fictional) then you will like this movie. I still think you shouldn't bring your grandmother to see it, though.

VIP Member
    I saw this film yesterday and enjoyed it...the "pro gun control" message kinda gets washed out in the over-the-top senseless violence and hundreds of shootings...it's actually hilarious, but you'll have to see it to understand. Think Sin City times 10...

Great choreography in the gunfight scenes, and so many funny moments it's hard to pick just one...deadly carrot weapons, skydiving shootouts, or teaching the newborn baby the correct way to handle a pistol...

Definitely not for everyone, but if you enjoy movies like Sin City or The Transporter, it's recommended...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Just saw this as well. Don't worry about a plot just sit back and enjoy.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I stand by my original assessment of the film. (That is, very negative.) I understand when a movie is intended to have "over-the-top" action, like the "Rush Hour" movies. But this movie has action that is MINDLESSLY "over-the-top." It insults the intelligence. And then to top it all off, the writer made the gun industry in to the evil, insidious "heavy." Gun control is portrayed as the "virtue" toward which it is obvious that we should be working, and anything that the gun industry does is going to be to the detriment of everyone in society except the gun industry.

This kind of movie, even if the plot is just ancillary, puts these thoughts before the minds of the public. They harm our cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Yes, to a point. The plot revolved around an anti-gun politician who was then martyred, and thus his "legacy" of gun control lived on.
    He wasn't martyred. He was executed by the main character, Mr. Smith, because Smith had uncovered the plot to have the previously-anti-gun senator sell out to the evil pro-gun interests.

Take a look at the Lethal Weapon movies - totally anti NRA and 2A, but extremely popular and watchable movies. I stand by my assertion that if you like action movies and have the capability to suspend disbelief (and thus ignore the gun control diatribes of the film, because they are fictional) then you will like this movie. I still think you shouldn't bring your grandmother to see it, though.
    I don't believe in supporting these movie franchises when because of their ideologically toxic plot lines (like Lethal Weapon' "armor-piercing" handgun ammo that killed people through bulldozer blades!) poison the minds of the public. People who are not gun owners, but who vote, go home believing that what they saw is really out there, and the next time they hear Chuck Schumer railing against "armor-piercing cop-killer bullets," they'll link the two and support his call for a ban on ammunition.

These "willing-suspension-of-disbelief" movies are not necessarily benign, folks.

When I saw "Shoot 'Em Up," I felt USED, because the producers know that people will be going to see it because they are into guns, and then they'll really be paying money to be made to look like part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post
    I saw this film yesterday and enjoyed it...the "pro gun control" message kinda gets washed out in the over-the-top senseless violence and hundreds of shootings...it's actually hilarious, but you'll have to see it to understand. Think Sin City times 10...

Great choreography in the gunfight scenes, and so many funny moments it's hard to pick just one...deadly carrot weapons, skydiving shootouts, or teaching the newborn baby the correct way to handle a pistol...

Definitely not for everyone, but if you enjoy movies like Sin City or The Transporter, it's recommended...
    I loved Sin City. It was original.
    This came across to me as a ripoff of Sin City. A bad one.
    The Transporter was entertaining, but it wasn't used as a vehicle for a corrupt, mindless gun-control ideology.

I'm a skydiver, and the skydiving scene was a total BOMB. Depicting someone being able to do what he did was just laughable. Shootout in freefall? Grabbing people and flinging them around to be used as human shields? I mean, it was simply dumb. Not only that, it was NOTHING BUT BLUE-SCREENED! If they even had real skydiving footage, that might be something. But if there was any, it was minimal. I'm not even sure that a single frame of that sequence looked real.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I'm a skydiver, and the skydiving scene was a total BOMB. Depicting someone being able to do what he did was just laughable. Shootout in freefall? Grabbing people and flinging them around to be used as human shields? I mean, it was simply dumb. Not only that, it was NOTHING BUT BLUE-SCREENED! If they even had real skydiving footage, that might be something. But if there was any, it was minimal. I'm not even sure that a single frame of that sequence looked real.
    It was a movie, not a documentary.

I enjoyed it.

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"...Sigmund Freud
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I thought this movie was ok, so did the wife. I won`t watch it again. I fell that I wasted $18.

3:10 to Yuma is on my list.
    Keep your powder dry

Quote Originally Posted by Hotbrass View Post
    I thought this movie was ok, so did the wife. I won`t watch it again. I fell that I wasted $18.

3:10 to Yuma is on my list.
    I think we will go see "Shoot 'Em Up"...only $5.50 around here...

...But I have heard from several people that "3:10 to Yuma" was a good flick...next on OUR list!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post
    It was a movie, not a documentary.

I enjoyed it.

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"...Sigmund Freud
    I didn't say it had to be a documentary. This is a QUALITY issue--at least in the case of the skydiving scene. It simply LOOKS BAD. Not just bad--pathetic.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I went to see 3:10 to Yuma. The pistols used by the charters were
    beautiful. Jet black with gold crosses on the grips.They were Schofield's.I bet they cost a couple of bucks.

I agree with Peacefuljeffrey

I get SO FREAKING TIRED of "Hollywood" (all inclusive) demonizing Christians, gun owners, conservatives, etc. I don't want to support that. These Hollywood actors and their "in-your-face" positions really taint a movie for me, anymore. I see a talented actor, but in the back of my mind I think "This guy/gal hates me and what I stand for". (I know, not all of them are like that).
    Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but if an anti-Jesus-gun-conservative point is made, no matter how subtle, I notice it.
    But I think the bigger picture is: My non-political friends don't notice stuff like that, but they HEAR it! The Hollywood Wackos know you and I aren't gonna fall for that. We're a lost cause! They're counting on the sheep to hear their message and follow.
    It's a shame, too. Like I said in the Jodie Foster post, there are a lot of great actors out there. I'm just very turned off by most of them.
    Like Laura Ingrahm says: "Shut Up And Sing!" (Or dance, in the case of this banana guy! )
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

It's on my list, but it didn't open around here.

I love a good action movie even if you have to suspend your disbelief to a certan point, but there is a fine line with me where it crosses over to just plainly ridiculous. That's what I'm afraid of with SHOOT 'EM UP.

Maybe I'll wait till it gets to DVD and see DEATH SENTENCE instead.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links