Lead a horse to water?

This is a discussion on Lead a horse to water? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, You can only tell someone not to do something stupid so many times before they learn the hard way... We have an "Administrative Assistant"(read ...

Thread: Lead a horse to water?

Lead a horse to water?

Well, You can only tell someone not to do something stupid so many times before they learn the hard way... We have an "Administrative Assistant"(read receptionist) at our office that routinely leaves her purse sitting next to her desk RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE MAIN DOOR in plain site. She'll leave the desk for short periods for trips to other parts of the building etc and leave the purse. I've called her on it a couple of times and took the purse TO her each time and reminded her not to do it and WHY not to do it.

Well, it happened today. Someone apparently ran in the front door (which we leave unlocked during biz hours - much to my MAJOR DISAGREEMENT...but it's not my call...soooo), grabbed the purse, and ran out. The suspect got away site unseen. Of course the camera's that we have all over the building managed to fail 2 nights ago with no one(IE me - so that one is on me) noticing that it was in a failed state. So effectively they got away squeeky clean WITHOUT their mug being taken(so now I feel like crap, but in my defense, I can't be a one-man army forever without slipping up along the way -and that's really what I am...A one man army. I run the whole IT shop pretty much by myself with little to no budget).

Onwards and upwards...I went through the whole speal of making sure she called in her Creditcards etc... and made sure she called and filed a police report and made sure she was going to call the big 3(the credit bureaus). The worst thing was that she's pretty sure she had her SS card in her wallet in the purse. UGH! PLEASE for the love of PETE (whoever that guy really is)...DONT carry around your SS card everywhere and especially not WITH your DL and Creditcards and Insurance cards and and and....

What's the old saying...You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink. Hopefully she gets it all resolved, although if I was her, I'd be a bit weary of ID theft for QUITE a LOONG time now.

Ok, now for the ironic part....ready???? SHE USED TO BE AN LEO!!!
    One would think she would know better to begin with. Oh well. Live and Learn.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I'll bet the perp has seen that as a regular habit - and just waited for a suitable moment.

As for "used to be LEO" - well, security was obviously not one of her strong points. SS card too - Ouch.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I'll bet the perp has seen that as a regular habit - and just waited for a suitable moment.

As for "used to be LEO" - well, security was obviously not one of her strong points. SS card too - Ouch.
    Yeah what makes that a double ouch is the laws that took effect in VA this past year that makes it a real PITA to get a DL replaced or renewed. You have to have VERY specific forms of ID for proof of legal presence, proof of VA residency AND proof of your SS card. So without the ss card you can't get a license replacement. Now on to the other half of the PITA...The ss card replacement - You need a proof of citizenship (ie a Birth Cert or a passport) AND
    For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:
    * U.S. driverís license;
    * State-issued nondriver identification card; or
    * U.S. passport.
    Talk about a circular screwup. So if you have a passport it can count as both, but If you don't have a passport, you can't really get a replacement SS card without a DL and you cant get the DL in VA without an SS card... Supposedly they MAY accept multiple "other" docs (like work docs/employee id cards/health insurance cards etc...) as the proof of Identity.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Lead Moderator
    Yeah, gotta let it go. Can't be everywhere all the time. I hate to lose merchandise , but it's gonna happen.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sound like she just made a down payment on her stupid tax.

Can you say, "Condition Stupid White"...hellooooooooo? Some people are just 'slow learners'...
    As she had been warned...I wouldn't give it a second thought! Obviously, she didn't care, you shouldn't either!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Did you give her her sign? You know, the one that says: "Kick me, I'm stupid!"
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

no I didn't give her her sign...she actually remembered it herself. That's the first thing she mentioned when she realized it was gone...she said she remembered me telling her repeatedly not to leave it there... She beat herself up enough so I figured I'd not add to it and just try to help her get it straightened out. I think it's time to go listen to some Bill Engvall now...

-The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Some people have to learn the hard way.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I watch my purse like a hawk for two reasons. I may not have it cramed with "stuff", but what I do carry is important. Second, it is the home to my weapon. When I go out it is attached to me like a third arm. I bought a "fat boy" for everyday use because it goes around my neck...not just on the shoulder. Maybe she will learn from this experience, which I am afraid is not over yet.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sounds to me like you did all you could do; at some point a person has to be responsible for themselves. She failed to use common sense. As far as being a former LEO unless she received an injury that kept her from her duties is there any wonder why?

Links