Man Killed When Machine Gun Discharges At Gun Show

This is a discussion on Man Killed When Machine Gun Discharges At Gun Show within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.wjactv.com/news/14106612/detail.html Hollidaysburg Man Killed When Machine Gun Discharges At Blair County Gun Show HOLLIDAYSBURG, Pa. -- An auxiliary officer for a local police department was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Killed When Machine Gun Discharges At Gun Show

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.wjactv.com/news/14106612/detail.html

Hollidaysburg Man Killed When Machine Gun Discharges At Blair County Gun Show

HOLLIDAYSBURG, Pa. -- An auxiliary officer for a local police department was killed when a machine gun discharged at a private gun show in Blair County.

Michael Kurty, 36, of Hollidaysburg, was killed Wednesday night during a gun expo at the Hollidaysburg Sportsmen's Club.

Police said a Gatling mini-gun attached to a Humvee fired a few thousand rounds earlier in the evening before it discharged and released a fatal shot to Kurty's head.

""What appears to have happened is there was some sort of a jam and when they were trying to clear the jam is when the gun actually went off," said Pennsylvania State Police trooper Jeff Petucci.

A military official was expected to disarm the Humvee on Thursday.

Officials said Kurty was proficient in all types of firearms and conducted training for many local police departments.

The incident remains under investigation. Stay with Channel 6 News and WJACTV.com for continuing coverage as details become available.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    I really hate hearing stories like this. It makes me wonder if the media waits for a gun story so they can twist it. Not saying this is what happaned but I bet there is more to this story than what they are saying here.

A) why was the gun pointed at anyone, especially when there was a jam.

B) How are they "twisting" this story? Seems pretty straight forward to me

VIP Member
    I'm not saying this story is being twisted. I'm saying it seems the media waits for a gun story to put an anti twist to it. Here is a story of an experienced person with weapons who accidentally kills another. I'm sure this happens once in awhile. I'm just not sure how truthful the media is sometimes.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    I'm not saying this story is being twisted. I'm saying it seems the media waits for a gun story to put an anti twist to it. Here is a story of an experienced person with weapons who accidentally kills another. I'm sure this happens once in awhile. I'm just not sure how truthful the media is sometimes.
    I didn't see any anti- in it...they reported someone died and how they died...no different then stories I read on electrocution, falling off a roof, struck by lightning etc etc. Why is it people assume the worst when the media reports an incident when a weapon is involved? Curious what this incident/accident has to do with CCW...apparently a weapon expert was killed when he didn't take the appropriate precautions...nothing to do with someone attacking 2nd admendment nor CCW.

Peace be with his family and friends.

Rick

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Read a followup report that they disconnected the power to the gun but didn't realize the firing mechanism was still active.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Sounds like the round "cooked off" to me.

....Skye....

Administrator
    Sounds like they assumed it was inactive but, whoops were wrong. Wrong on two counts by attempting to clear a jam with the muzzle in an unsafe direction. Sad that a human being died because somebody whoopsed. The "experts" were obviously not very expert (or familiar) with that particular firearm. It should NOT have mattered that they were unfamiliar with it if they would have followed the basic rules of safe firearm handling. That is Too Much to expect from folks though I guess.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
    Sounds like the round "cooked off" to me.

....Skye....
    I worked on mini's in the service and if there are rounds chambered and you rotate the barrel assemblies the gun will fire. Rule number 1 for us was never rotate a loaded minigun.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    Here is a story of an experienced person with weapons who accidentally kills another.
    By reading and re-reading the story again, it appears that one experienced person did not accidentally kill another..... it was the experienced person himself who was killed.

Tragic all the way around.

"I worked on mini's in the service and if there are rounds chambered and you rotate the barrel assemblies the gun will fire. Rule number 1 for us was never rotate a loaded minigun."

Absolutely. That barrels are rotated by electrical power and the rounds fire by mechanical action. It is truly unfortunate that this officer died. My questions:

1. Why was he in front of the gun?
    2. Why did someone rotate the barrels?

Assistant Administrator
    This happens to have occurred at my regular IDPA club - plus I spoke with a buddy who was there but not when the incident happened at end of day.

It is sad as all get out but I have yet to establish quite how the whole gun was rotated on its mount to check the stoppage - apparently barrel #5 had a round still in it ..... and yet somehow this was waiting to go off - and it did - blowing half a good cops' head off. A guy experienced in firearms too.

Over time I may get more first hand info.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    [Officials said Kurty was proficient in all types of firearms and conducted training for many local police departments...
    ..But didn't make sure to not be in front of the muzzle when this gun was being worked on for a malfunction??

I don't understand how this was allowed to happen.

If a GATLING CANNON had malfunctioned and was being worked on to clear it, what on earth would someone be doing in front of it?!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Read a followup report that they disconnected the power to the gun but didn't realize the firing mechanism was still active.
    Is that not de facto proof that whoever was working on it wasn't truly qualified to be doing so?

I mean, by definition, a qualified person would know what was still active. (I am not saying I know this gun at all, I don't. I'm saying that if someone works on it and has an accident with it because of an unfamiliarity issue, that simply proves that he shouldn't have been.)

"Is that not de facto proof that whoever was working on it wasn't truly qualified to be doing so?"

Bingo!!! No one who was "qualified" to operate that gun would have ever done what that guy did. It is sad that one mistake cost a good man his life.

Dillon Aerospace is the current manufacturer of the 7.62mm mini-gun. Mike Dillon calls it "the most dangerous gun in the world." Dillon folks insert 5/16" steel rods in the barrels. The rods are removed just prior to firing the gun. This ensures that there are no rounds chambered and keeps the barrels from turning.

If the gun has rounds in it and the barrels are turned, it will fire!!!
    No one who knew anything about that gun would have gotten in front of the barrels. Web sources say that when the gun was cleared,three barrels had unfired rounds in them.

Thirty five years ago i was safing this gun in training at EOD School and would have shot a couple folks if the gun had real ammo in it. So i decided to learn more about the system, which i did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links