Help me choose my new car! - Page 2

Help me choose my new car!

This is a discussion on Help me choose my new car! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; On a funnier note, I noticed the Amphicar on the bottom of the Lane Motor museum page Betty linked to. For those of you that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose my new car!

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    On a funnier note, I noticed the Amphicar on the bottom of the Lane Motor museum page Betty linked to. For those of you that don't know they are a car and a boat combined. (aka amphibious car) There is a guy with a fully restored one about 30 minutes from me, who drives it from time to time. He made the paper a few years back when access to his neighborhood was cut off by flooding. He drove the thing to the store, and on his way home was crossing a flooded stretch of road when a older blue haired lady tried to follow him in her caddy, which promptly stalled and sank like a stone. He went back and helped her out. At any rate when interviewed about it the lady's response was classic. "I didn't think it was that deep, I mean it only came up a foot or two on that little car in front of me." ROFL. All these years and I still get a kick out of it. It always reminds of the joke about the farmer and the duck. (it was only knee deep on the duck)

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Wicked speed freak LOL ......

LOL A trike that only goes 50mph is pretty slow. But a lawn tractor... that's another story. When we were kids, a couple of friends of mine took a go cart motor and axle they got somewhere and put it one an old riding mower. It was one of those that had tinly plastic front wheels and handlebars. ROFL. It only went 15-20mph and it was very scarry. The fact that they never worked out how to put brakes on it didn't help. LOL

DC Founder
    I like small cars and would like to have a Mini Cooper. But around here I want more steel, not less. I can't imagine driving an Isetta around Phoenix, though. I would probably wind up as a hood ornament on a gravel truck and he'd never even know it until he got out.

I'm starting to think about my next car now since I turn in my Grand Cherokee (hopefully) around Christmas. I think my next one is gonna be a Hummer H3. My brother recently bought an H2 (which is what I really want) but they are just a tad too darned high and have really bad gas mileage....

Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Bumper, you can get an SS edition Silverado for less than the price of that H3 in all likelihood. It will have better fuel economy and be so much more useful and so much less obnoxious it's silly.

I worked for GM for a short time and I wouldn't buy a Hummer even if I had the money. For the record I'm a Chevy guy and there's some mdoels GM makes I would avoid. That's one of them.

Of course I'm also the anti SUV king because I think most people driving one are doing so out of ignorance or because it looks cool or is trendy or a combination of all three.

So neat pics betty thanks for sharing

Get a Focus. The littlest Ford that could and it's corporate cousin the Mazda 3 are pretty much the only "economy" cars that feel anything but. I love mine....currently 1,500 miles shy of 150,000 and still running strong, same clutch even. Mine on the freeway gets anywhere between 34 and 39 mpg, and in the city it acheives high 20s. The interior is VERY solid and still rattle-free, and the seats feel like ones from MUCH more expensive cars.

http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Cool Hummmmmmmmmmmmer 2 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    My brother recently bought an H2 (which is what I really want) but they are just a tad too darned high and have really bad gas mileage....
    I have a connection who owns a Hummer dealership (friend of the family) and according to HIM Hummer2 and H3 are slated for diesels by 2007.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

OMG.PLEASE DON'T get a Focus... My Wife has had one since new.. (Nov 1999 as a 2000 ZTS) we've had TONS of recalls, gone thru 3 sets of 65K mile tires (we have 85K on the car now) 4 sets of wheel bearings, two sets of front coil springs, 2 transmissions (the 1st went out at 32K miles) my 14 yr-old almost fell out of the rear door due to the latches being defective. (that's the latest recall after I video taped the accident while he was in the car maybe that's why Ford innitiated the recall but I dunno) Gawwwd I could go on and on with it... My wife was at our Daughter's place when this was taken. (January 05)
    SG?? I hope you're having good luck with yours, but I know ours is a lemon, and Ford refuses to take it back... Good thing we have several other vehicles to drive, and I'm still thinking of placing it out in a field, and taking a few 40 MM H.E. rounds to it LOL
    Oh yeah......Betty? I know where you're carrying.. but I'll let the rest of the forum figure it out
    Attached Images

FORD:
    Found
    On
    Road....
    DEAD

Fix
    Or
    Repair
    Daily

Foul
    Odor
    Remains
    Dominant

I had a Ford Explorer 4x4. I replaced the tranny TWICE and went off road only ONCE in an emergency. Had incredible trouble with the AC and engine bushings. I'll never buy another FORD anything. I could tell you some real horror stories on my wife's Ford Taurus (FIVE TRANNY's)
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Betty? I know where you're carrying.. but I'll let the rest of the forum figure it out
    Awe - come on Bob - spill!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

No Focus

Class3, couldn't agree more! My wife also has a focus that she got before we got married. I would have never let it happen had I been there! Same as you, can't even remember how many recalls it has gone through for things like, oh.........wheels falling off at high speeds or the car bursting into flames. Once we get her a new one it just might end up target practice. no offense to you ford fans

Holy Mother of God, those are some big tires!
    Attached Images
    Stops Jihad on Contact

To all of you Ford haters out there, I just want to say a few words.

Chevette
    Cavalier
    Monza (shudder)
    Corvair

On a more serious note, The last 3 ford products I have owned all went pretty much trouble free to at least 200k The last crown vic I sold had 366k miles. My last service van went slightly over 300k (very very abused before I got it at 270k) My current crown vic wagon has well over 200k.

Cool Don't see any Chevy TRUCKS on this list

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    To all of you Ford haters out there, I just want to say a few words.

Chevette
    Cavalier
    Monza (shudder)
    Corvair
    You'll notice none on that list are trucks or SUV's. My Ford Explorer 4x4 went through at least two trannys, regularly crashed the AC and went out of alignment whenever the wind would blow and for any 4x4 that's NOT good!

What was wrong with Corvair. Any car that has Ralph Nader gunning for it has to have some redeeming qualities! I heard it floated.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    .....What was wrong with Corvair. Any car that has Ralph Nader gunning for it has to have some redeeming qualities! I heard it floated.
    The Corvair was okay on streets, but on the highway, you'd better throw a couple 80# bags of sand in the trunk (front)....darn cars thought their names were "Corsair" ....not Corvair.
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links